Time for an Upgrade

Jvitti1970

Looking to upgrade my sub. Currently running an older 10” Infinity with LaScala’s.

Room is large about 20x30. Im not a huge bass head but like the bass to hit fairly hard.. i listen to a lot of reggae. Not interested in HT only music for now. 
 Budget is about $1000. Considering brands like HSU, SVS, Rhythmik, and PowerSoumd

5 hours ago, polizzio said:

SVS builds good subs and their 5 year warranty seals the deal imo. Plus if you order direct from SVS you have a 45 day zero cost to you returns. I've owned a couple Rythmik/Brian Ding creations but again 2 or 3 year warranty on electronics.

I second SVS subs. My experience having pre-and post-purchase questions answered quickly and in detail, as well as the product itself (in my case an SB-1000) convinced me I made the right decision.

I'd also consider the HSU as mentioned above. Some of their subs provide a means of plugging the ports so you get to experiment with both ported and sealed sub designs.

What's interesting is the OP has used a 10" sub to pair with LaScala's. I wouldn't think a smaller sub would be able to provide a reasonable low end to complement the high output capabilities of LaScala's.

5 hours ago, willland said:

That exhausts the OP's budget and doesn't even include the transducers, or an amp to power them. Nor the shipping costs.

And to add SVS support is awesome, just a phone call or live chat away during normal business hours. I returned an SB-2000, no problem whatsoever and SVS covered return shipping cost.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, polizzio said:

SVS builds good subs and their 5 year warranty seals the deal imo. Plus if you order direct from SVS you have a 45 day zero cost to you returns. I've owned a couple Rythmik/Brian Ding creations but again 2 or 3 year warranty on electronics.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c897fd019bd59d745c51c3dd98c876d.jpeg

Ive had this for about a month.  Prior to this I had an R-112 SW which blew the amp after about 3 years.

Happy with the sound coming from it with music or HT.   Really like using their app on smartphone to adjust the subwoofer from the couch.  After the R-112 SW amp issue, I really like the guarantee.  Under $1000.  

The room it’s in is about 16x25

11 hours ago, willland said:

Not a horn, its a dual reflex bandpass design.

If you want a real upgrade instead of a marginal one you could go DIY horn, find a used one or go to the BFM builders page. The Table Tuba should be an option under a grand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jason str said:

Not a horn, its a dual reflex bandpass design.

Thanks for the clarification.  I just went by the description.

9 hours ago, jason str said:

The Table Tuba should be an option under a grand.

Good suggestion.

Bill

Take a look at the PSA S1512DF($1100), or V1512DF($1150), or S1512 ($1200) if you want a finish other than Satin Black.                                    5 yr warranty, free shipping, 60 day trial period. (minus return shipping cost.) You also have a 60 day price protection in case there's a price drop. 

I believe you'll get more DB output above 25hz for your music listening, vs equally priced SVS Subs.