RF-7 project/woofer replacements

usnret70-90

31 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

If he was in the Navy "in another life", it goes without saying that he is a nice guy. During my twenty years of active duty I thought everybody was a "nice guy" until the day a new recruit sucker punched me in the mouth, breaking my jaw and knocking out four of my teeth. That ended my hopes of going ashore while in Hong Kong for a little r&r. 

That wasn't me.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, W27 said:

The original drivers you pulled out don’t look bad. Just the dents on the dust caps? Considering how rare they are, you should be able to sell them and recoup some money. I’ve see ones like that bring good money on eBay. 

If you look at the second woofer from the bottom, there is a small hole in the rubber surround. The rest of the woofers have some dents in the dust caps and in the cone itself. I listened to these speakers for about 30 minutes (Eagles live on a DVD) and they actually sounded quite good. I am just picky about my stuff (my wife calls it OCD) and right from the start I wanted new woofers. Any idea on what I should ask for these? I would rather post them for sale on this web site if I can even though I just opened an ebay account. 

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

While you have the crossovers out, get a couple of 10 Ohm resistors from Parts Express an put one parallel to the resistor on the top board.  It really smooths the top end out.

That would be great because I initially thought these speakers were a little harsh in the upper frequencies.  Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

If you look at the second woofer from the bottom, there is a small hole in the rubber surround. The rest of the woofers have some dents in the dust caps and in the cone itself. I listened to these speakers for about 30 minutes (Eagles live on a DVD) and they actually sounded quite good. I am just picky about my stuff (my wife calls it OCD) and right from the start I wanted new woofers. Any idea on what I should ask for these? I would rather post them for sale on this web site if I can even though I just opened an ebay account. 

listing them here first is a great idea, an eBay ad will get much more attention. Keep the boxes of the RF-7III woofers so you can use them to ship the woofers you sell. Chances of finding someone local are slim. I have more RF-7 and RF-7II’s then I’d care to admit. One pair in storage has dented dust caps like that. So I kept an eye out for a replacement pair for many years. They come up very rarely and even the dented ones were asking over $100 each. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W27 said:

listing them here first is a great idea, an eBay ad will get much more attention. Keep the boxes of the RF-7III woofers so you can use them to ship the woofers you sell. Chances of finding someone local are slim. I have more RF-7 and RF-7II’s then I’d care to admit. One pair in storage has dented dust caps like that. So I kept an eye out for a replacement pair for many years. They come up very rarely and even the dented ones were asking over $100 each. 

Sounds good. I will check into listing them here first. I recently renewed my ebay account and I was not given my old account back, so I'm starting at zero. I had close to 400 sales on there with a 100% feedback score. The first negative I received over something that I felt was really silly.....I quit. Maybe I jumped the gun a little. It actually had to do with a $1500 center channel speaker which had those round soft rubber stick on's to prevent scratching. Well, hell's bells, one of those rubber feet had the audacity to move and left a little glue trail and this buyer was upset. Whatever. Hey, have a great night. I'm getting a shower and going to bed.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, usnret70-90 said:

That would be great because I initially thought these speakers were a little harsh in the upper frequencies.  Thanks for the information!

The HF board is actually the bottom board.  I'd post a picture but I'm over my limit on posting them.  I'd be happy to e-mail you pics if you like.

On 3/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, Keggerbra said:

Cool thread! I’m thinking about doing the exact same thing! Would you mind posting pictures of the front of the speakers with the dust covers removed? Thanks!

Sorry about taking so long to answer you. I was in the hospital getting three units of blood and a gulp of iron. The photo of the washer is the first hole that I attempted to enlarge and ended up making it too big. I then shifted to using a Dremel tool with a 1/8" carbide grinding bit to enlarge only one side of the hole. It worked perfectly. I would recommend that you do the same and not use a drill bit. If you have any other questions, just ask.

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4648 (4).JPG

• Like 3

Sorry about taking so long to answer you. I was in the hospital getting three units of blood and a gulp of iron. The photo of the washer is the first hole that I attempted to enlarge and ended up making it too big. I then shifted to using a Dremel tool with a 1/8" carbide grinding bit to enlarge only one side of the hole. It worked perfectly. I would recommend that you do the same and not use a drill bit. If you have any other questions, just ask.
IMG_4647.thumb.JPG.5dac3774ca4a915b9689354ec20d230c.JPG
1857912444_IMG_4648(4).thumb.JPG.d93aa722456f4cdf05d6db5c609ac17e.JPG

Sorry to hear about the hospital trip buddy, thank you again for taking the time to put these up. Other than aesthetics do the driver upgrades perform or sound better? The original drivers I have on mine are perfect condition but aesthetically I can’t stand the way they look in the middle with the original drivers.

I don’t think I would attempt this with anything besides a dremel, but your insights are very helpful since it’s nice to know someone has gone through this.

19 minutes ago, Keggerbra said:

Sorry to hear about the hospital trip buddy, thank you again for taking the time to put these up. Other than aesthetics do the driver upgrades perform or sound better? The original drivers I have on mine are perfect condition but aesthetically I can’t stand the way they look in the middle with the original drivers.

I don’t think I would attempt this with anything besides a dremel, but your insights are very helpful since it’s nice to know someone has gone through this.

I am having a hard time answering that question. Believe it or not, I think that the original woofers sound better, even with that little hole in one of the rubber surrounds. I only say this because when I was putting everything back together, I had no idea where or how those three pieces of egg crate foam were installed. When I bought the speakers, both cabinets had all the foam laying in the bottom and blocking the bass ports. If you can help me out regarding the correct placement, I would appreciate it very much. By the way, I don't care for the 'black bulls eyes" either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wnabphil78@gmail said:

I have a pair of covers for the RF7s a couple of the pegs have broken off bu are in really nice shape and will stay on your speakers, if your interested please shoot me a text 716-361-1667

Thank you very much for mentioning that. I made new speaker grills using thin birch plywood which I painted black and then added new 'speaker grade' covering.

• Like 2