RF-7 project/woofer replacements

usnret70-90

Prior to sealing, staining and polyurethaning these speakers, I removed the 'ID's" from the back of each cabinet. Think I should put them back on? Even though I put a pre stain sealer on the MDF front's, when I applied the stain, the "was wood" sucked up the stain extremely fast. The cabinets turned out well but, I keep the grills on to hide the fronts.🙂

I hope you’re feeling better. They look nice. I think you should post a question in the technical/modification section. The RF7-III’s that those drivers are designed to work in, are a larger cabinet. The sensitivity is different, and the crossover points are significantly different. You may be missing something. There’s guys there with a lot more experience than I with this kind of stuff. Maybe there’s some minor crossover tweaks you could do to get them dialed in better. Looking at the specs you may had a 2db difference between the horn and drivers. Also looks like a gap in crossover points that you’re missing some frequencies. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, W27 said:

I hope you’re feeling better. They look nice. I think you should post a question in the technical/modification section. The RF7-III’s that those drivers are designed to work in, are a larger cabinet. The sensitivity is different, and the crossover points are significantly different. You may be missing something. There’s guys there with a lot more experience than I with this kind of stuff. Maybe there’s some minor crossover tweaks you could do to get them dialed in better. Looking at the specs you may had a 2db difference between the horn and drivers. Also looks like a gap in crossover points that you’re missing some frequencies. 

Doing much better, thanks. Hemoglobin was down to 6.6 and with three units of O-, I am ready for a 5K! I will do what you said about posting in the technical/modification section. This project sure has turned into a learning experience for me. Really, it's been fun so far.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello, I see this is an old post, but I have a pair of RF 7’s and one of the woofers has a fairly large deep scratch in it, I put off replacing it like a dummy and now you can’t find the proper replacement.  I was wondering if there is any difference in the specs of the RF 7II and III woofers that would mess with the sound?  The scratch doesn’t seem to make any difference in the sound that I can notice, but for aesthetic reasons I would definitely prefer to replace it.  Luckily I have a Dremel I can use to do what you did on yours, I’m just worried there are differences electronically as well.  Any help would be appreciated!

Well I just read W27’s post and it sounds like there will be differences with the newer woofers, I guess I should have read all pages before posting!  Maybe I will post a wanted ad or something, pray there’s someone with an old pair they are parting out