Klipsch RP-160M cabinet size discrepancies

koumbar

Hello all, newbie here. 

I purchased a pair of RP-160M. I thought they look a bit "small" so I physically measured the cabinets. They measure smaller than what the manual specifies. I measure width at 8inches and the spec is 8inches. That's almost an inch smaller than the advertised size. 

So, what's going on here??? 

Can anyone take a MI ute to measure their own? 

IMG_20200216_130945.jpg

Hello all, newbie here. 
I purchased a pair of RP-160M. I thought they look a bit "small" so I physically measured the cabinets. They measure smaller than what the manual specifies. I measure width at 8inches and the spec is 8inches. That's almost an inch smaller than the advertised size. 
So, what's going on here??? 
Can anyone take a MI ute to measure their own? 
IMG_20200216_130945.thumb.jpg.13299217c4d988a469dea682111f44e1.jpg
How is 8" measured smaller than 8" advertised spec?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Apologies, I mistyped. The advertised spec is 8.8inches.

I realize now that the advertised spec is not measuring the speaker cabinet itself, which is 8inches. It is measuring the base width. Personally, I think that is truly misleading on Klipsch's part. That's not the box. They should have clarified what the box (speaker cabinet) measures and then specify that the base add on (and it is an add on) measures at whatever it measures at, rather than lead you to believe you have a larger box. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, koumbar said:

Apologies, I mistyped. The advertised spec is 8.8inches.

I realize now that the advertised spec is not measuring the speaker cabinet itself, which is 8inches. It is measuring the base width. Personally, I think that is truly misleading on Klipsch's part. That's not the box. They should have clarified what the box (speaker cabinet) measures and then specify that the base add on (and it is an add on) measures at whatever it measures at, rather than lead you to believe you have a larger box. 

If the item is one unit a manufacturer will almost always provide the largest measurements.  Do the Forte specs show the height of the Forte III without the base?

Without the base?  I think not.  The base is part of the speaker...  I could check by measuring mine but I'm not going to.  I don't even care that they included gain "in a normal room" in the sensitivity spec.  It is what it is and I'm entirely satisfied with the end result.  I didn't buy them based on the specs. 

On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, glens said:

Without the base?  I think not.  The base is part of the speaker...  I could check by measuring mine but I'm not going to.  I don't even care that they included gain "in a normal room" in the sensitivity spec.  It is what it is and I'm entirely satisfied with the end result.  I didn't buy them based on the specs. 

Nicely put 😂

• Moderators
On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, glens said:

Not even a little?

Well, okay.  Because they have a 12" woofer, a 15" passive, horns up above, and at least somewhat controlled directivity.  But only those general specs.

If Cornwall's would've fit the available space (and they weren't saddled with the Heresy mids) I might've gone that route.  My first choice would've been LaScalas.  I've always liked at least the idea of them (well, not always, but at least since the later '70s).  So I guess cabinet dimensions figured in a tad, too, but only very generally.

Oh, and the price tag specs were factors, too, I guess.  Generally.