Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
koumbar

Klipsch RP-160M cabinet size discrepancies

Recommended Posts

Hello all, newbie here. 

I purchased a pair of RP-160M. I thought they look a bit "small" so I physically measured the cabinets. They measure smaller than what the manual specifies. I measure width at 8inches and the spec is 8inches. That's almost an inch smaller than the advertised size. 

So, what's going on here??? 

Can anyone take a MI ute to measure their own? 

IMG_20200216_130945.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, koumbar said:

I measure width at 8inches and the spec is 8inches.

 

You will have to explain that. If they are both 8 inches, whete is the discrepancy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should measure the base, the base is wider than the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's that it's sitting on, like 1/2" thick and extending like 1/2" past the side?  Is it part of the speaker?  And are you hooked on the other side of that, or of the box?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Marvel said:

 

You will have to explain that. If they are both 8 inches, whete is the discrepancy?

Yeah, I don't see the issue either.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the base is missing on your RP-160M, but the picture is too dark to be sure.

 

image.png.94fb78193596f8551a1d906d87e59120.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JefDC said:

It seems the base is missing on your RP-160M, but the picture is too dark to be sure.

 

image.png.94fb78193596f8551a1d906d87e59120.png

It's right in the picture, not missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello all, newbie here. 
I purchased a pair of RP-160M. I thought they look a bit "small" so I physically measured the cabinets. They measure smaller than what the manual specifies. I measure width at 8inches and the spec is 8inches. That's almost an inch smaller than the advertised size. 
So, what's going on here??? 
Can anyone take a MI ute to measure their own? 
IMG_20200216_130945.thumb.jpg.13299217c4d988a469dea682111f44e1.jpg
How is 8" measured smaller than 8" advertised spec?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies, I mistyped. The advertised spec is 8.8inches.

I realize now that the advertised spec is not measuring the speaker cabinet itself, which is 8inches. It is measuring the base width. Personally, I think that is truly misleading on Klipsch's part. That's not the box. They should have clarified what the box (speaker cabinet) measures and then specify that the base add on (and it is an add on) measures at whatever it measures at, rather than lead you to believe you have a larger box. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, koumbar said:

Apologies, I mistyped. The advertised spec is 8.8inches.

I realize now that the advertised spec is not measuring the speaker cabinet itself, which is 8inches. It is measuring the base width. Personally, I think that is truly misleading on Klipsch's part. That's not the box. They should have clarified what the box (speaker cabinet) measures and then specify that the base add on (and it is an add on) measures at whatever it measures at, rather than lead you to believe you have a larger box. 

If the item is one unit a manufacturer will almost always provide the largest measurements.  Do the Forte specs show the height of the Forte III without the base?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without the base?  I think not.  The base is part of the speaker...  I could check by measuring mine but I'm not going to.  I don't even care that they included gain "in a normal room" in the sensitivity spec.  It is what it is and I'm entirely satisfied with the end result.  I didn't buy them based on the specs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, glens said:

Without the base?  I think not.  The base is part of the speaker...  I could check by measuring mine but I'm not going to.  I don't even care that they included gain "in a normal room" in the sensitivity spec.  It is what it is and I'm entirely satisfied with the end result.  I didn't buy them based on the specs. 

Nicely put 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, glens said:

Without the base?  I think not.  The base is part of the speaker...  I could check by measuring mine but I'm not going to.  I don't even care that they included gain "in a normal room" in the sensitivity spec.  It is what it is and I'm entirely satisfied with the end result.  I didn't buy them based on the specs. 

Not even a little?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, okay.  Because they have a 12" woofer, a 15" passive, horns up above, and at least somewhat controlled directivity.  But only those general specs.

 

If Cornwall's would've fit the available space (and they weren't saddled with the Heresy mids) I might've gone that route.  My first choice would've been LaScalas.  I've always liked at least the idea of them (well, not always, but at least since the later '70s).  So I guess cabinet dimensions figured in a tad, too, but only very generally.

 

Oh, and the price tag specs were factors, too, I guess.  Generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...