Orange Peel, gotta question for you.

m00n

Hey, we have the same setup for the most part. R7s and HK520. I was just curious as to what you like better.

I had my speakers set to small with my sub crossover set to 80, however, I set them back to large, for me they just seem warmer and fuller set that way. Whats your take on that? How you do you have yours set?

I realize that goes against what a lot of people suggest, but for me it just seems to sound better. However, that could change once I get some good sound proofing and sound quality material up on my theater.

Well, I would love to answer that, but I haven't received my RF setup yet 8.gif It will probably take a few weeks I would guess, they have to come from Klipsch themselves, not the store unfortunately. That's how the promo works.

As for how I "plan" to set them up, I'm defenitely going to set them to large first off and see how they sound, they are SO big that I must take full advantage of that. Why waste the wonderful dual 10" drivers and set the speaker to small. It does sound more full, I set the RF-7's to large at the store and listened to a movie that way. It's not just highs, you get everything.

They use a Pioneer Elite 49TXi receiver, a little better than ours 9.gif but we still have a killer receiver.

Do you have the RC-7 set to small?

I will probably set that to small, and leave the RF-7's and RF-5's set to large to get the full potential out of them.

"Oh contrar mo frar" LOL

Or is it "Au contraire mon frere"

For anyone using RF7's I say LARGE LARGE and LARGE.AS the RF7's are large speakers and deserve to play full scale,its what they do best.RF7's are not some LoudMedia compact plastic speakers using a "paier mache" 3.5" fragile cone and Trashix polymer tweet.The twin 10" drivers can take a hell lot more beating then your ears can before starting to give up.

And when you have two pairs(front and rear)...ah ah MUA HA HA Its POWER TO BEHOLD 3.gif

i'd listen for bass quality on large vs small. having speaks play full range & the sub go all the way to 80hz before it starts getting low pass filtered could make the bass muddy or boomy or uneven due to room acoustics. do what sounds best to you though. that's what's key - unless somebody is there & using your ears they can't really say for sure. 16.gif

now i've heard that most all receiver & prepros use the algorithm in the dsp where the full range of any channels set large is summed together w/ any LFE/.1, low pass filtered by the dsp sub crossover control (or global crossover that controls both the high pass & low pass crossover/filter) either at the fixed point or where you have it set in the dsp, then sent to the sub through the sub out. now i need to call b&k & ask them about this.

so beware when you set the crossover (low pass for sub out) on the hk (or on the sub's crossover control too for that matter) below 80hz, you may be throwing away some upper range lfe. but lfe rarely gets over 100hz i've read. but if you set the crossover to like 60hz it'll start filtering off lfe there too, so like lfe from 60hz on up will start getting tossed away to nowhere.

so now it looks best to have the crossover set to 80hz in the dsp for any material that has the LFE/.1 channel. i've put in macros & when i'm doing material that has LFE it auto moves the dsp crossover to 80hz w/ the touch of one button, & when i'm listening to 2-channel music w/o an LFE channel i switch the dsp crossover to 45hz w/ the touch of another button.

in sum, beware setting the crossover in the hk any lower than 80hz because you might then be throwing away some upper range LFE. 6.gif

Thanks Ear, I knew it didn't look right 9.gif I never claimed to be a grammar God (or even a prince 2.gif ) I will have everything set to large like I planned.

As for the X-over setting, I have mine set at 100hz right now for the sub, that's pretty much where it only lets me set it too I believe.

With it set to 100hz, and the speakers set to large, you think it's gonna sound muddy/crappy? Or will it be perfect?

Thanks for the advice and info guys, this is just what we need.

OP, how did you get a 100 crossover point? I think the heightest crossover point I get even when set to small is 80. Then when I set the speaks to large that drops down to 60.

I have to admit, I don't like that too much about the HK? I want the freedom to decide for myself where I want the crossover to be set at?

Have you noticed a way to override the settings in the H/K?

Whe you use the full OSD mode (with a video cable connected to the TV from the HK) you can set it to 100hz for the sub. When I used the semi-OSD, without the TV hooked up to the HK, I can only get the low hz mode for some reason. How do you have yours hooked up? And I have the 100hz setting with my RF-3's set to small, just FYI. I haven't checked the Large setting yet, I will try it in a few and then post back.

Well I just did my test. When the speakers are set to "SMALL" I have the choice of either 100hz or 80hz. I have it set to 100hz. Now, with the speakers set to "LARGE" and the "LFE + L/R" setting, I only have the choice between 60hz or 40hz, blow me! That sucks!

So you are correct my fellow HK brotha, we got screwed! I bet the AVR 8000 bastards have the choice of whatever they want. Let's protest!!! 3.gif

I guess it will be set at 60hz when I have my RF-7's, the 7's should be able to hit 60hz all day anyways.

Damn.

Orange Peel, why does 60 or 40Hz suck? The RF7's are more than capable of playing that low. I'd set the x-over at 40 and put your subwoofer's x-over all the way up. That way, your Mains will play 40Hz on up and your sub will get the 40Hz and below. When you're watching a Movie with a LFE track, the sub will get all the information from 20-150Hz. I have my receiver set sort of like this. Mine has to be set at small to use the x-over setting and only goes down to 50, but it sounds great set up this way--Fronts, Center, Surrounds-Small, Crossover 50Hz, Low Pass Filter on sub--150Hz (all the way up).

i did call b&k to confirm & like i thought, before i heard that other bogus info, is correct. the low pass in the dsp doesn't mess w/ the LFE. so you shouldn't have to worry about cutting LFE in your processor if you set the crossover lower.

todd makes a good point for quality bass. u may want to try big speaks on small &/or dropping the dsp crossover down around or 10-15hz above the bigger speaks low freq capability to see if the bass is better quality.

& as todd says, when you're using the sub out on the processor, disable or turn all the way up the crossover on your sub. you don't want that interfering & cutting off LFE.

No doubt, Todd is right. Hell, I don't do multi-channel -- but when I was running a sub with the RF7's, I would crossover as low as I could go.

The RF7's can sleepwalk through 40Hz. The lower you can get your sub the better. Distortion is way too high at anything much above 50 -- and I don't give a crap what Dolby and THX says.

mOOn - I just wanted to maximize the use of the sub, if it's only going to be getting 40hz and lower, it's barely going to break a sweat and be used. If that's the way it will be best then I will do that, but I just want to use both the RF-7's and the SVS and let them both handle the load, not the RF-7 down to 40, and the sub 40 and below, maybe the sub 80 and below would be nice, the sub should have more output up there too don't you think? Or would the the RF-7's have more output (volume) above 40 hz?

Thanks for all the info.