Orange Peel, gotta question for you.

m00n

I will have to get back to you on this question there OP. I have not really Really REALLY tried to analyze this yet. It seems to me that setting everything large makes for a fuller sound to me. And again, that may change once I get my room treated with some materials. Which I actually called a local shop here in town, I am going to be having a professional (just how professional is yet to be seen) come out and give me suggestions on how to treat my room. I guess it will cost about $75.00. Hope it does not take more than that. 4.gif

guys, split the dif & set it to 60hz. 9.gif really don't let it drive you too nuts, as the 40-80hz range is really just fine tuning. what should make the bigger dif is setting the speaks small or large.

the best thing to listen to when comparing settings is real bassy, good quality, 2-channel cds because its all low bass w/ no LFE. i use primus' "pork soda" for my bass mgmt test cd.

I just have Rf3's but I find that when I use the large setting for both my mains and rears(rs3) and small for the center, the tone coming from the sub sounds much better. I also set the lfe to front and mains and turn the crossover on the sub all the way down. I have done this test a couple of times at mine and a friends house and I always like this setting best. I always do this test in 5 channel stereo so I can get all speakers to produce a decent lf response at the same time. Stick in something like Floyd, Shine on you crazy diamond, and listen to the sub go from garbled to a nice smooth tone as I change all the settings. I think the sub just sounds better when it doesnt have the burden of handeling the lfe of 5 speakers plus its own .1 Ideally I would have a center channel that could reach lower and I wouldn't even have to send that lfe to the sub either. I'd suggest to anyone to try both ways over a period of time.

jr, are you using a yammy & the sub out on it to the sub?

its confusing in yammy's manual, but for the both setting it sends low bass from the fronts (large or small) & low bass from the other channels set small to the sub, & the LFE goes only to the sub, not to the fronts also.

iow, when it says LFE and fronts, that's from the sub's perspective. it means the sub gets both

low bass & all LFE.

the only way it sends LFE to your fronts is if you use the fronts setting. but that's like saying sub:no so your sub gets no LFE in that case.

this is how most dsp alogrithms are configured. so since your LFE is going only to the sub & you have the sub's crossover dialed low, you throw away some LFE above the sub's crossover point.

Boa, I have a Denon avr3300 I use as a pre. My friend has a Yamaha rxv3000. Settings again are large on everything except small for the center. Lfe to mains and sub. I assume the sub handles the lfe, plus the sub 80hz lf from the center. What goes to the fronts on either reciever I'm not real sure about other than this is the way I prefer. I'm sure there is a gap between what I cut off at the center and what the sub crossover is set at but I can live with it. I'd rather leave it set to large but I think it sounds better at small even with the gap. I do use the center for 5 channel stereo but its mainly in my system for movies in which case I doubt either setting makes a huge difference with the content sent to center anyway. As I said, I'd really prefer a different center channel anyway. Anyway, for whatever reason these settings always seem to work best.

jr, same config w/ the denons on bass mgmt. when you set any channel large it gets full range w/o any of its low bass being crossed out to the sub. & if you set it to fronts+lfe then the sub also gets the same low bass as the fronts, as well as all LFE like it always will unless sub:no is selected.

the point is that if you use or dial down the crossover on the sub then you may be throwing away LFE. when i switched in the sub's crossover at 40-50hz & played a dvd w/ alot of LFE i noticed a big decrease in LFE. & in this case it gets thrown away by the sub's filter.

this is the bass manager's dilemma w/ a fixed 80 or 90hz crossover in the processor of the receiver: use the sub's crossover & you filter out some LFE. don't use it & set big speaks to large then you get poor bass quality due to the conflict between the large speaks & sub.

that's why most have found that the low bass quality improves when they set speaks to small (especially the fronts near the sub). even better when you have an adjustable crossover in the processor itself. definitely a nice feature to have for fine-tuning.

i set all my speaks to small & the dsp crossover to 50hz. sounds better to me than putting the fronts or others on large - seems to have a smoother transition from the speaks to the sub that way. & of course i disable the crossover on the sub itself so that no upper range LFE is cut by the sub's low pass filter ("crossover control").

Boa, I see your point. The lfe isnt the part that gets divided between the two. Hence, I'm cutting off some lfe in movies. I think I'll turn the crossover up for movies and back down for music. I'm just not happy with the sound I get when I set the speakers all to small. Thanks for the post Boa, keep me in mind for your ref 30 when you upgrade to the 50. 9.gif

jr, thanks for the interest. but that's another great thing about b&k - the upgradibility. i'll probably go that route when i find out what b&k is offering for the upgrade & the cost (probably 500-$1000).

sounds like a lot of b&k dealers are offering the 30 now for $1500 or so. doubt a used one would be worth much more than $1K. if you look at the 30 now + the cost of upgrade, its pretty much the same price as a new reference 50 at $2500. so it would make sense to get the 50 unless you could do w/o the new formats like DPL II, dts es & neo, & the new 192/24 dacs, balanced connectors & such.

if someone offered me $1500 for the ref 30 i'd take that & get the 50, but anything less would make it better for me to keep the 30 & get the upgrade (as long as its not over $1k).