Chorus III Experiment

dtr20

Hi there folks.  First time really trying to measure speakers.  I am using REW with a minidsp umik-1 mc.  I have my chorus II speakers side by side.  One is mostly stock  with Crites tweeter diaphragm and the other has the forte III midrange horn with the A55G midrange driver.  I ran two sweeps and I am using the clarity tab to display since I think that is the closest looking graph I have seen online.  Let me know if its the wrong tab to display.  If anyone has a little bit of free time and doesn't mind talking on the phone quickly with me today, please send me a PM.  Thanks

clarity.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Hi there folks.  First time really trying to measure speakers.  I am using REW with a minidsp umik-1 mc.  I have my chorus II speakers side by side.  One is mostly stock  with Crites tweeter diaphragm and the other has the forte III midrange horn with the A55G midrange driver.  I ran two sweeps and I am using the clarity tab to display since I think that is the closest looking graph I have seen online.  Let me know if its the wrong tab to display.  If anyone has a little bit of free time and doesn't mind talking on the phone quickly with me today, please send me a PM.  Thanks

clarity.jpg

Which line is which cannot tell from the chart are the speakers in the exact same location when doing the tests? Thanks

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Which line is which cannot tell from the chart are the speakers in the exact same location when doing the tests? Thanks

Sorry, didn't realize it took off the labels.  The green line is the Chorus III experiment and the red is the mostly stock Chorus II.  The speakers are about 6 inches away from each other, I just rotate the microphone to point at the appropriate speaker.  The microphone is about 8 feet away, is that too far?

10 hours ago, dtr20 said:

clarity.jpg

What are you driving them with and is all the processing turned off?   Quite a discrepancy between the two.

The clarity tab is probably not what you are looking for.  The SPL/phase tab, uncheck phase for now, and then under the "graph" menu drop-down, select psychoacoustic smoothing.  Use the limits button in the upper right to set the graph x/y axis range.

Crossover points for the Chorus II are 650hz and 7000hz iirc that is where I would look to see a difference in the change its surprising to me to see the A55-g actually a little louder with a couple peaks above stock output as that driver seems so much smoother than the stock driver. Also when I was taking measurements the A55-g seemed to drop like a rock at 6300hz and also on frequency sweeps it was 2-3db lower in output than the stock driver

13 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Crossover points for the Chorus II are 650hz and 7000hz iirc that is where I would look to see a difference in the change its surprising to me to see the A55-g actually a little louder with a couple peaks above stock output as that driver seems so much smoother than the stock driver. Also when I was taking measurements the A55-g seemed to drop like a rock at 6300hz and also on frequency sweeps it was 2-3db lower in output than the stock driver

I thought the Chorus II was much lower than 650hz crossover which is used with the Forte III. I remember reading something about that when i tried titanium diaphragms in the Chorus II and people were in agreement that the titanium would sound better crossed higher than the 500something hz crossover on the Chorus II-now proven with the Forte III. The online specs were also incorrect IIRC.  I could be mistaken.

The chart is kind of hard to follow the first half lower octaves have to be placement related I would assume but that doesn't account for the rise in the tweeter section. I think the only way to get a true comparison is to mark the floor where the test speaker is sitting then swap the other speaker into the exact same location. I know it's a pain to muscle those things around but I just dont see how to get an accurate comparison without trying to measure them as even as possible. 

On 2/18/2020 at 5:40 AM, dtr20 said:

Probably has to do with what's behind the speakers as well because of the passive radiators. One speaker has other speakers behind it, the other (stock chorus II) is more open behind it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5DB won't be what's behind the speakers, particularly at that frequency.

22 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I thought the Chorus II was much lower than 650hz crossover which is used with the Forte III. I remember reading something about that when i tried titanium diaphragms in the Chorus II and people were in agreement that the titanium would sound better crossed higher than the 500something hz crossover on the Chorus II-now proven with the Forte III. The online specs were also incorrect IIRC.  I could be mistaken.

Somewhere in the 650 hz range.  The horn I believe only support 600hz at best.  500 is for k-55 drivers in certain uses like Belle.