Chorus III Experiment

dtr20

10 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Also looking at the chart it says the Chorus III is at 65.8db and the Chorus II at 60.4db shouldn't they be at the same level?

That is what bothers me.  Things aren't gelling between the two.  Possibly better to do a swap of the horn test, original, test.

The way the horns are mounted, I'd rather not take them apart over and over again. I'll just have to muscle the speakers around and tape the floor. It will be a couple of days before I can do it, probably Friday after work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ok, here's my latest measurements.  I put tape on the ground where the first speaker was and moved the second speaker to the same spot.  I know there's a little discrepancy on the low end, but hey, its pretty close.  Now its time for you guys to tell me what this stuff means.  Thanks :D

experiment.jpg.76a795614c2f05583eaa8496f3451a02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

If you like the sound so don't touch anything, however if you want a flatter curve you can test what I'm going to tell you below.

If you still have the original Chorus II filter, there should be a 20ohm resistor.

I will try about 15ohms or 12ohms instead of the original 20ohms, to see if you can go up the curve between 700Hz and 6kHz

You can put: 82 or 68 or 56 or 47ohms, ... in parallel with the 20ohms

You can also put 1 or more 1µF capacitors in parallel to the 6µF capacitor to make 7, 8, 9, 10 ... µF gradually lower the connection and fill the hole in the curve between 700 and 1500Hz !

Make measurements at each value to find the right resistance / capacitor compromise. Good listening :)

Chorus%20II%20Crossover.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Ok, here's my latest measurements.  I put tape on the ground where the first speaker was and moved the second speaker to the same spot.  I know there's a little discrepancy on the low end, but hey, its pretty close.  Now its time for you guys to tell me what this stuff means.  Thanks :D

experiment.jpg.76a795614c2f05583eaa8496f3451a02.jpg

That's pretty much what I expected to see from my previous attempts at measuring the output. The Chorus II is an excellent speaker but be a bit shouty in certain situations the A55-g dials back the in your face output mellows it out closer to a forte II balance. 

Hi,

If you like the sound so don't touch anything, however if you want a flatter curve you can test what I'm going to tell you below.

If you still have the original Chorus II filter, there should be a 20ohm resistor.

I will try about 15ohms or 12ohms instead of the original 20ohms, to see if you can go up the curve between 700Hz and 6kHz

You can put: 82 or 68 or 56 or 47ohms, ... in parallel with the 20ohms

You can also put 1 or more 1µF capacitors in parallel to the 6µF capacitor to make 7, 8, 9, 10 ... µF gradually lower the connection and fill the hole in the curve between 700 and 1500Hz !

Make measurements at each value to find the right resistance / capacitor compromise. Good listening [emoji4]

post-1106-0-38460000-1384546309.jpg
All of this sounds really cool and technical, but way over my head. I think it means to change the crossover to make the midrange driver louder, correct? cb874d5592acf30bb07ced454a119fcd.gif

• Haha 1

I just ordered the threaded adapters to use the A55G on the stock chorus II horn. I am curious how the horns compare with the drivers. I didn't like the stock driver with the forte III horn, so we'll see.

I'm not really looking to tweak crossovers unless necessary. I just thought showing those measurements would be informative to a bunch of purple on the forum and possibly validate the experiment. I see people posting measurement graphs all the time, I just don't really understand them. I'll do some more measurements sometime soon. Thanks

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I just thought showing those measurements would be informative to a bunch of purple on the forum and possibly validate the experiment. 

Thank you for your time and effort its interesting to see those measurements. To me this is a great move for the Chorus II the A55-g is such a better driver than the stock one and the slightly lower output is just an unexpected added bonus I really feel like the speaker is much more balanced sounding with the change and closer to the larger heritage line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

you need a bigger horn , like the CF3

I've been running a zxpc 17 by 10 straight off chorus 11 xover and like it much better than stock(zxpc has a 2 inch opening) Was running ev dh1a on the zxpc and now running  clarion 5.25, I like the clarion's  better. The ev and clarion both sound good but on some material the  clarion's are less harsh. For spl ev wins hands down  but clarion's get plenty loud for me.

This is my first 2 inch horn and to me it makes a big difference over a stock 1 inch horn. 

Edited by Lbk
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

ok, so I took time today to do more measuring.  I used the same speaker cabinet each time, which means same crossover, woofer, and tweeter.  I did 4 measurements.

1. Stock Chorus II

2. Stock Chorus II with an adapter for A55G driverr

3. Chorus II with Forte III horn with stock driver

4. Chorus II with Forte III horn with A55g driver

I saved the measurements on the computer if anyone has any request to the other tabs, I can bring it up and post it.  Just walk me through the settings.  Please tell me your thoughts on the measurements with the different drivers/horns.  Thanks

graph.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

ok, so I took time today to do more measuring.  I used the same speaker cabinet each time, which means same crossover, woofer, and tweeter.  I did 4 measurements.

1. Stock Chorus II

2. Stock Chorus II with an adapter for A55G driverr

3. Chorus II with Forte III horn with stock driver

4. Chorus II with Forte III horn with A55g driver

I saved the measurements on the computer if anyone has any request to the other tabs, I can bring it up and post it.  Just walk me through the settings.  Please tell me your thoughts on the measurements with the different drivers/horns.  Thanks

graph.jpg

Which combo sounds best to you?

We critically listened to the chorus II speakers tonight with the A55G drivers. We both preferred the the speaker with the forte III horn. It was a lot more detailed and crisper compared to the stock horn. Again, same drivers.

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

The forte III horn has a screw on for the driver. It's basically the same horn that's in the klf 20/30 with mumps. This is why the A55G driver is perfect for it.

Thanks, funny you say that – looking at the pics I wondering if the forte III might be just a klf-20/30 with mumps. Has any one compared the two side by side? Also can we buy the forte III horn from Klipsch yet (without a serial #) and if so the price? Man that would be great if the forte III horn was a drop-in for the klf-20&30.