Heresy Slant riser build

garyeanderson

So I have been at this little project for a while and February still has a few days in it. If you have read this topic in "Alerts",  I try not to bore you. I just didn't want to fix the straight risers that came with these Heresy's so I thought I would get around to making a pair of slant risers.

This picture was taken on February 2nd and it looked just like that until Sunday the 16th (don't want to rush things, ya know) when I cut some of this Brazilian Cherry flooring to length  (about twelve and a quarter inches) and used the new taper jig and made a couple cuts. I tried the angled cut pieces under the Heresy's and I liked the angle (about 7.5 degrees or 1.625 inch rise over the 12.25 inch run)

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.c2884b29e5a40ade2de6ca74d7334bed.JPG

Yesterday I cut the fronts and backs then mitered the corners at 45, then out came the glue and masking tape (nice burn huh?). I am going to put some glue blocks in the front two corners and hopefully give a bit of strength

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.97ebdcd90f86ac1793de0eae448f008d.JPG 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JohnA said:

Nice work!  Wish I had more tools and space to do that kind of work. 

For the lazy amongst us, I bought these and finished them with linseed oil. 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-angle-stand-each/

bk16-stand-sl.jpg

I read the topic that you had posted about not drilling into the H700's (mine had already been drilled so that option was off the table), I would have done something different if they had not been drilled.  I glued the diagonal braces in place and then used the original risers as the template to mark the holes and kind of had some issues drilling them with a 20v battery powered drill. 

IMG_1378.thumb.JPG.72ca996f54fc1c377c2cf5936c857f7d.JPG

they darkened up nicely with a coat of oil.

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.ddeaba3a737405d699c6f80acec9904e.JPG 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, billybob said:

Think read that stock Heresy risers are at 5 degree front angle. Not correct myself but OP mentioned

7.5 degree?!?

Maybe so...

Wonder about the IV's angle now... being?

I do not know what the original angle is/was as  have newer seen a pair of slants (or a single for that matter).

When I got the pair of empty oak Heresy cabs they had been drilled and had no risers with them so I decided to make a pair. I am guessing that at the time I did some research and I didn't find an answer (or there was conflicting information) so I did some eyeball engineering (yep, that looks good) and went with it. It likely went something like this, lets see - this hunk of cut off 2 x 4 ought to do and propped up the front of the Heresy with said 2 x 4 and sat in a chair about 10 feet away and starred at empty cabinet and it looked, well, correct. Now the back was sitting on the floor and the front up one and a half inches I needed to add bit of altitude to the back to screw the riser to the original holes that were already there so that ended up at about 3/4 inch so that was added to the fronts also. Now the fronts were 2.25 inch and the backs .75 inch, sit back and  look from the same position 10 feet away. So I had the plan in my head and the 1 x 4 Brazilian Cherry in my hand I went to the table saw to make it work. I forgot to say the flooring was FREE so that was much of the motivation to make it work and several of the lengths were 54 inches which works well if I didn't mess up .

So that's how the 7.5 degree angle was determined (I think) by me and besides its tough to put your drink (or a plant for that matter) on one without spilling or siding off:biggrin2:

Gary

DSC00634.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some times everything goes right and sometimes not. I had an OOPs when I drilled the risers and used the original risers as a template, must have been in a hurry. I had the risers upside down and had I to re-drill 6 of the 8 mounting holes in the two risers. Might be a do-over coming, but not likely too soon.

IMG_1408.thumb.JPG.d6cfce34cbfa76909f71f848a1e3911a.JPG

I took this picture this morning, the sun was up and I shut the flash off. lots of light but must be in the wrong place.

IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.2c9c98ed687a1fe16cef8ca5baadf2b9.JPG