Rp-5000F or R-26F

Kamran

Good day, Klipsch community!

I'm building now my Hi-Fi system and obviously spent most of time looking a great pair of speakers. Music sources will be vinyl and files from computer, both connected to an amp.

I'm now stuck between RP-5000F and R-26F. The speakers are only for music, no intention for HT. 26F seems to have bigger woofers and I'm afraid of that. Because mainly I listen to classic rock / 80s heavy metal and some modern metal, where excessive bass will veil all other instruments and make song sound as a big cloud of bass. Or am I wrong? 

I don't have any possibility to listen to them, so choosing based on other's advise.

@Kamran,

Welcome to the forum.

Never heard the RP-5000F's but have heard nothing but praise for the RP line.  Personally I would choose the RP's over the lower tier R(Reference) speakers even though the R-26F's have larger woofers.  Can you stretch your budget and consider the RP-6000F's?

Though most likely not "needed", are you planning on adding a subwoofer/s to this system?

What are the dimensions of this listening room?

Bill

Hello, willland,

Dimensions of the room are 35.1 sqm / 377.8 sqft with 3.1m / 10.2 ft high ceiling.

5.25" 2x woofers on 5000F's seem to be sweet spot in terms of bass delivery for rock/metal, or am I wrong?

Regarding subwoofer, I've read so many opinions, whether I need one for music only or not.

I'd say, if the bass from subwoofer is not always like"boom-boom" from cinema movies, but a good addition to overall sound picture - why not.

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

5 inch woofers aren't going to give you much bass

Yea, in terms of electronic music bass is of highest importance. Some initially "warm" music styles, like jazz/blues will benefit from it.

The way rock/metal is played , on bassy system sometimes seems too bulky and muddy for me. Like it is just long "booooom", through which no rhythm guitar can be heard, as well as solos sound like the are distant.

9 hours ago, willland said:

Can you stretch your budget and consider the RP-6000F's?

It is possible. So out of specs it seems I'll get 6.5" woofers instead of 5.25". Does it tend to improve mids (that's where all guitars are) and not drown them in excessive bass? 

If budget is stretched to 6000F's, then they fall in the same price category as RP-280F's, so here comes the new challenger.

Edited by Kamran

3 hours ago, Kamran said:

So out of specs it seems I'll get 6.5" woofers instead of 5.25". Does it tend to improve mids (that's where all guitars are) and not drown them in excessive bass? 

I have been driving RF-63's with triple 6.5" woofers since May 2008 and have had no reason to "upgrade" to anything else.  As a matter of fact, the midrange and punchy bass is where they shine best and are well balanced with the sizzling highs from the 1.25" compression drivers.  As I have been known to say, the RF-63's are the most 3-way sounding 2-way speakers I have ever heard.  No reason the RP-6000F's can't come close to that description.

Bill

47 minutes ago, willland said:

No reason the RP-6000F's can't come close to that description.

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

280s are an extremely balanced speaker all around.

I've added to cart online both 6000F and 280F, it is a matter of click at the moment which one I get :D 

Seems like 6000F have no advantage over 280F except being more up-to-date product.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 2:09 PM, Kamran said:

wuzzer 

so i shouldn't be afraid of 8" woofers then, right?

I would prefer 8 inch woofers for rock. I have the 280s and the bass is fine for most music types. Like you said for rap you may need a sub. I use a little eq in my crappy room to tame the highs a fuzz. Klipsch can be a little hot on the highs in some rooms or with some gear. I just use a Schiit Loki for a limited amount of control. I set it and leave it alone. 

• Like 1