Correct way to wire crossover inductor?

Robbie010

I'm in the camp of "it's a high-level AC signal so it doesn't matter" and if anyone says different, well, I feel sorry for them.

Actually, I (and I've made a living working with inductors up to the size of needing a crane to lift) don't see how there could conceivably be any valid rationale about it, one way or the other.

The topic is (loudspeaker) crossover network inductors, right?  Litz will work, but is wholly unnecessary.  Skin depth is not a factor at (human) audio frequencies.

If you use them anyway, and don't want to tediously skin the strands after shortening the leads, fold the excess back and forth and bind it that way, don't coil it up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, glens said:

The topic is (loudspeaker) crossover network inductors, right?  Litz will work, but is wholly unnecessary.  Skin depth is not a factor at (human) audio frequencies.

If you use them anyway, and don't want to tediously skin the strands after shortening the leads, fold the excess back and forth and bind it that way, don't coil it up.

Thanks for the reply 🙂. Sorry , did not mean to hijack the topic. I will follow up with this in another thread.

Y'all both got a green R, I thought it was you who started the thread.  My point was that Litz wire will work in a crossover but is unnecessary for such low-frequency operation.  The purpose of that wire is to counteract the effective loss of conductor size due to "skin effect."

yep  inductors in crossovers are used to attenuate higher frequencies... so what if there is a bit more resistance due to skin effect... even if so tiny to be irrelevant at frequencies where crossovers are used as in bass or mid/high cuttoff say maximum 5KHz.! 

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 11:10 PM, Robbie010 said:

Just about to finish my Type A crossovers with the inductors and was wondering if there is a right and wrong way to connect them?

Due to the coriolis effect, in the southern hemisphere we always connect them so the current flows in a clockwise direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, glens said:

Seeing how some English-speaking folks in the southern hemisphere drive on the wrong side of the road (not on the right), I have to ask:  how are your clocks oriented where you're at?  :)

Well the clock face is the same, 12 to the top, but sun dial pointers incline south and when I set up my Davis Vantage Vue weather station I had configure the wind at  +180 degrees and Alternating Current sine waves always start going south (negative).