Perfumes?

Bosco-d-gama

In high school I had a part time job in a local pharmacy. Late one evening while I was stocking the lower shelves in one aisle from somewhere in the store a scent captured my senses. I was in love/lust/whatever. I did not see the person wearing the perfume but I had been keenly seduced by it’s depth and luxury. And I had no idea what it was. It was heartbreaking 😫. Later in life (like 10 years later) I finally figured out what it was. Jungle Gardenia......... bingo............ except they did not make it any longer. Even today if you go to eBay you’ll find NOS Jungle Gardenia offered at exorbitant prices. I have bought some in the past and was not disappointed. There are some similar products but none holds a candle to the real deal.

What is your favorite scent? Is there a product that does the same for you?

Reminds me of an article in Discover magazine years ago. It described a study where (can't remember how many) men would exercise to get their clean white T-shirts sweaty. Then the shirts were put into boxes, where women could smell the contents and rank each box in order, best smelling to worst smelling.

After DNA testing was done on all the people involved, the women who liked a certain box the best were the most genetically diverse compared to that man.

I've worn Creed Aventus for a while and it's the only cologne I've used where women have complimented me on it.  It's actually a little scary at times!

Victoria's Secret has/had a body spray called Love Spell that always did it for me.  I finally figured out what it was after years of being too chicken to ask women when they were wearing it.  Ended up working with a former Victoria's Secret manager and after she and I both noticed it on a customer she told me what it was.  Bingo!  I bought a bottle of it for my wife that same day. 

• Like 1

We used to have a lady that ran a  Snap-On-Tool truck come to our shop.  She must have bathed in perfume.  You could smell her from across the room.  If you went on the truck to buy tools people would know it just by the sent you'd picked up while in there.

• Haha 2

What I have noticed lately is that it's become very trendy for MEN to collect fragrances now and build their own fragrance collections... It's an expensive hobby with a built in shelf life.

It came out of the Shoe collector movement.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Gardenia is a really nice smell, the problem I have with most perfume is if even slightly over applied it smells like bug spray.  

There’s a tropical gardenia plant that is extremely fragrant. A nurse from the Philippines would bring one flower into the office and it would fill the room with fragrance as long as it remained fresh.

Exactly how to formulate a perfume that mimics nature must be challenging. A field of night blooming jasmine is intoxicating. The same with any flowering citrus orchard. But you cannot find these odors accurately reproduced. Most perfumes are obnoxious, some even offensive. And heavy scents certainly can trigger asthma. Unsure why Jungle Gardenia is so enticing to me. But it is nice to have some things in life that intrinsically deliver pleasure 😍😍.

heavy perfume will set off my Asthma just as quick as fumes from cleaning products. 
The comedian Gallagher once said of people using perfume and then getting on an airplane, "If you like the smell so much, stuff it up your nose."

instructions.! Hear ya... I have to hold a breath when I walk buy the perfume section.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

There’s a tropical gardenia plant that is extremely fragrant.

9 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Exactly how to formulate a perfume that mimics nature must be challenging. A field of night blooming jasmine is intoxicating. The same with any flowering citrus orchard. But you cannot find these odors accurately reproduced.

Yes that was the Gardenia I was thinking of, there is also another great smelling flowering tree/shrub that is close to the Gardenia, a Sweet Olive and it blooms a few times a year. 

But like you said, accurately reproduced is where the problems start. Plus a Gardenia or Sweet Olive flower is very strong, we have a Sweet Olive tree about 25' from the front porch and the smell can almost be overwhelming  at times. Also have a bunch of the Gardenias but there a little further away so not as noticable.

55 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Most perfumes are obnoxious, some even offensive. And heavy scents certainly can trigger asthma. Unsure why Jungle Gardenia is so enticing to me.

I agree but I'd say all perfumes do not smell good, at least on a woman.  [ I guess I left this wide open...]

A toned woman's body is a work of art and the definition of beauty, and her natural smell is part of that beauty. 

Summed up well here:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

What I have noticed lately is that it's become very trendy for MEN to collect fragrances now and build their own fragrance collections... It's an expensive hobby with a built in shelf life.

It came out of the Shoe collector movement.

Not around here, no.