Utah Senate Vote to "Party On!"

Jeff Matthews

• Moderators
On 2/19/2020 at 5:08 PM, BigStewMan said:

Tell me this won't affect the tv show Sister Wives!

That is a good question about spousal benefits ... I wonder if the first wife gets it or divided up amongst all the wives?  

Actually, would this make bigamy legal?

No, decriminalized, not legal. 

• Moderators
23 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

All involved with this should be stoned to death ; my belief with any child rapist .

Also I'm sensing a lock coming for this thread

The sponsoring Senator, female, was very clear that all of the other criminal provisions related to bigimy stand, underage wives, human trafficking, all stand as is.

So if you set part of it aside, which I don't think anyone would dispute, except "a pedarast."

• Moderators
On 2/19/2020 at 2:28 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Utah's GOP-controlled senate votes unanimously (29-0) to effectively decriminalize polygamy.  

I wonder how they would deal with surviving spouse benefits and similar statutes directed toward spouses.

I think the more interesting issue is there is still a federal criminal statute against polygamy, the Edmunds Act I think.

SCOTUS had not difficulty in affiriming the conviction of REYNOLDS of a similar federal law (Morill Act). Morill required a showing of marriage to more than one person, more difficult to prove, whereas Edmunds Act required only a showing of cohabitation. 

It's a very interesting decision, historical and of course answers the question "what would Jefferson do?"

• Moderators
On 2/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

We rode our motorcycles through Colorado City Utah years ago.  Really creepy and weird. 

This is done against a person's will many times and with very young girls.   Yuck.  This really creeps me out. 

It seems to me, about 96 or 97 an arab shiek of some sort was building a ginormus compound out towards Spanish Hills that had a home for each of his wives when he flew into town to play Baccarat at the Hilton. They sort of just looked the other way.