Anyone here versed on 60's console stereos?

Mighty Favog

This is a Motorola that was handed down to me through my family when I was about 14-years old. It still had the original store receipt from 1962 from Bob Bigner TV in Cincinnati (still in business). My Dad took it upon himself to get rid of it during one of our moves. If I had room I'd look for another one. It was all solid state, sorry, no tubes. But I would crank Charlie Daniels, Doobie Brothers and an album called Hot Rocks from local radio station WEBN (only vinyl I had). It played vinyl only. No radio or tape player.

IMG_20200219_161047.jpg

That one is pretty small but could have good stuff in it.  Post some guts pics. .. I'm currently restoring the first stereo console ever made an Ampex. The hard part is that it is chock full of electrolytic cans but I gotta plan for that.

14 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

2nd generation Sims LaMar. I wanted the first gen but that's what they sent me.

Funny thing, that was the worst handling board I ever had. Best ones was between a Sims Lester Splash, G&S Warptail2 Squaretail and an Alva Lost Model.

5614072816_0787f41ed6_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Emile said:

Have an old Telefunken console. Ripped out the tube amp ... put in RF-3 woofers/horns, but have not really finished it yet. Think it looks "cool." :D (But, "gave it away" ... waiting for buyer to pick it up :( )

IMG_2159.JPG

I had that very same receiver. It was my first decent one. That and a pair of 301 Bose, and a cheap JVC cassette player, with a really bad BSR turntable. I think it was 35 watts per channel. I was about 16 at the time and it sounded so good because I was stoned most of the time I had it. I would always come home alot of nights listening to music. Good times! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

The nearest park to us was Cherry Hill 120 miles away AND nobody was old enough to drive much less gave a car. In high school I did skate for Cocacola for 18-months. But it got to be more of a job than a hobby.

FB_IMG_1454808390850.jpg

I was more into BMX but had some friends who were pretty good skateboarders. Thats a nice collection, and it was smart to keep them! The best board I had was a Cal 40 that looks like the red one on the end. I had a friend pull me on a moped one time, and when I let go and crashed really bad I was done with them lol.

That Warptail2 was one of the most versatile boards I ever had. Seeing there were no parks nearby we did a lot of freestyle in schoolyards with asfault hills.

That same G&S was stolen about 6-months after this picture. I know who did it and I vowed to either get it back or re-create one. The latter won. You would not believe what NOS copers are going for on e-Bay for Trackers. For Mid-Tracks they were $130!! 

FB_IMG_1577371794519.jpg

IMG_20200220_102330.jpg

IMG_20200220_102431.jpg