Table Tuba Build

M_Klipsches

This will be my second BFM design build. If it turns out as well as the first, I imagine I’ll be satisfied with the results. Still working out the final details. Feel free to ask questions, comment, or criticize, whichever is more appropriate. It will be mostly be filling out the low end for a pair of 1980 La Scalas. In an 1,800 CF room. Still sorting out width, placement, and was originally planning to use an 8” sub, but having some buyer’s remorse. Maybe should go 10”? At any rate, I got the wood on Saturday, and began on Sunday. I’ve made it this far. 

7B04BC4B-DC48-4A90-B8FE-E8F3702EB5E3.jpeg

63F99C3C-1EF2-46C8-96ED-D47B9156E064.jpeg

• Like 3

Decisions have been made regarding the driver, cabinet size, & placement. Even managed to test fit & cut most of the parts (I know it’s not exactly as written, I’m doing the cutting outside and it was dry & sunny. Don’t judge). Going with the BFM suggested 10” DCS255-4;  and a panel width of 21”. Hope to get a little actual assembly done tomorrow. 

C200C720-1139-4E8A-ACA0-DE7F6ECC5CC6.jpeg

8DD9882D-35B5-41EC-B19F-B5F15057EE56.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm also interested in building a pair of these for my LSII's. My room is 3k cf but also open stairway ( basement rec-room)  leading to front entrance and the  upstairs, no doors.

Still I would like to hear your impressions on how they hold up when the volume gets cranked. For me I would go with 10,s but I may ask on Bill's forums if its possible to modify these to use the same 12's as they use in the THTLP.

2 hours ago, RadBlue said:

I'm also interested in building a pair of these for my LSII's. My room is 3k cf but also open stairway ( basement rec-room)  leading to front entrance and the  upstairs, no doors.

Still I would like to hear your impressions on how they hold up when the volume gets cranked. For me I would go with 10,s but I may ask on Bill's forums if its possible to modify these to use the same 12's as they use in the THTLP.

The Table is designed for smaller drivers, a 12" will not fit in the cabinet.

Modification is not needed.

Single 8, single 10" or double 8".

5 hours ago, jason str said:

The Table is designed for smaller drivers, a 12" will not fit in the cabinet.

Modification is not needed.

Single 8, single 10" or double 8".

Yes, Jason is right. There’s no way a 12” would fit.  Initially I was going with the 8” driver, because I remembered how much of a pita the 8” was to install in the T18. I figured the 8” would be easier in the Table Tuba. Then I thought, “In for a penny, in for a pound.”  10” it is. It will just take patience. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RadBlue said:

IMO, If the T18 is any indication, two of the TTs should easily fill out that room, and compliment your La Scalas. When I ran the T18, with my LS , it wasn’t overpowering huge bass, but it was seamless. Sounded just like La Scalas, only with more bottom end ooomph. I think I really could’ve/should’ve done two T18s and it would’ve been fine, in my smaller room. 

• Like 1

Thnx for the replies and info. My main concern is sometimes, well maby more than sometime I like to listen stupid loud. Like 100-110db at listening position (10.5ft from speakers), rare times measured 115-116db ( got a pic of spl meter and a blown tweeter to prove it lol ). Have Creites CT-120's installed now so feel safer :)

I was just on Bills forums a few hrs ago and typed out a nice log post explaining my situation with the info I could think of and some pics. Took me so long to 2 finger type it when I hit post it said I was logged out,guess it time out lol. Just said ah fukit 😖.

Thing is I don't want to build these then  crank it up and be left wanting 😢. But for space savings I love the idea of dropping these down and stacking my LSII's on top of them.

Feb 2020.jpg

Things are progressing More slowly than I’d planned. Panel #2 has been installed. Panel #3 has been trimmed, and I’ve managed to cut the hole for the Dayton DCS 255-4, without screwing it up. Still need to test for baffle interference, and run the break in routine. Getting there.

2C300C7F-A6B5-4086-A099-65C54FD59B01.jpeg

96A2A03A-5791-4641-9D19-2B2D9D63638C.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jason str said:

How wide is the TT ?

21” panels, 22” assembled width. The plans describe that as “optimal” using the 10”. It would actually be a bit better fit in my “B” choice location, if I’d gone a little smaller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

21” panels, 22” assembled width. The plans describe that as “optimal” using the 10”. It would actually be a bit better fit in my “B” choice location, if I’d gone a little smaller. 

Very good, the wider the cabinet the better (within the plans). If you liked the Tuba 18 you will love the Table Tuba.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well that seems to be all I’ve got. I’ll add more later. One thing I did remember from the last build was to check the seams for gaps. The plans say to check for leaks, after it’s built. How do you fix it after it’s built?

I used a flashlight and a dark room to check for gaps. So far so good. I’ll add more later. 

6 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

More gaps?

Just kidding. Lookin’ great!

Definitely more “gaps” with panel #7. I’ve clamped that edge between a couple of scraps and hoping for the best. I’m considering using a steam iron to warm that edge a little and make things a little more pliable.