Table Tuba Build

M_Klipsches

9 hours ago, jason str said:

If the panels are warped they will straighten out as you continue building.

Just make sure you use plenty of glue on the joints, it swells and seals as it dries.

I’m not afraid of the glue, that’s for sure. It covers a multitude of sins. Even so, I’m going to try to straighten it before I glue the next panel in place. I think it will be easier in the long run. It’s been clamped for over 24 hours. I’ll check it tomorrow  to see if I’ve made a difference & go from there. 

The wood will not unwarp by itself, its nothing to worry about. As you install panels and braces things will straighten out and go together fine.

Better too much glue than not enough, nobody will see inside the horn and it scrapes right off the outside after a bit of drying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

I’ve managed to “convince” panel #7 to join panel 8. I’ve even moved along to panel #9, and the braces for it. Next up, the outer panels, and yay, even more braces. No stress there, except for keeping things straight & square. 

D1FDB147-766B-48F0-ACBB-5AE39DD65CE2.jpeg

This is awesome and it'll sound fantastic, too.

• Like 1

Thanks to all, for the positive feedback. Panel Nine is in, and seems straight & square. I’m feeling good about it so far. The completed size is becoming apparent, it’s going to make a large table, for sure. It still may wind up on its edge, against a wall. Either way it’s a few days down the road, before that becomes an issue. 

C0781E72-D298-47B0-8765-9EE52B5FCAD2.jpeg

972722A8-FB31-432E-B1AE-F972FB07F4EA.jpeg

Panels #10, #11 & #12 are in place, along with the damn braces. It has been a real p.i.t.a. getting the last panel and braces in place & aligned. There is only one more side panel to go. I’ll be glad to get it set, but I am dreading the final bracing. Cabinet Makers have my respect, it ain’t an easy gig. 

EF1D9E42-AA19-455D-AD83-3D59A805DBEC.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jason str said:

Almost done, the first is always the most difficult.

Looks really good.

Thank ya.  I should have it assembled by the end of the weekend. It’s the second BFM sub design I’ve built. I’ve enjoyed building both, except for the damn braces. 

• Like 1

All the side panels are installed. I just need to set the braces (just test fit in the pics). It is looking mostly square, and so far I’ve managed to drive only one brad through an outer side panel, a little putty will hide that sin. I’m hoping it will not only sound good but look good as well. Especially if it winds up being used as a table. If it winds up in location B, it will still be obvious and will need to be presentable. I should/could have a working unit by the end of the weekend. 

2F24D2E1-49CA-4BE8-8350-238CF626EDA0.jpeg

192BBB24-FAD3-41E8-B42A-A9507C5E17BD.jpeg

• Like 2

This is how I spent most of my “social distancing” today. I decided to “finish” the TT before installing the driver, as much as I wanted to test it out. It just made more sense, it’s already heavy enough.  Plus I won’t have to seal it and protect the driver from dust & debris, or heaven forbid, install it twice. Just sanded it a bit and filled screw holes today. Still quite a ways to go. If anyone cares to chime in on finish choices, feel free. 

2131DDAA-55D2-48DA-B7CE-1FC82782C3C1.jpeg

• Like 2

Cheap, easy & most durable is truck bed liner.

Duratex is good.

Stain & poly looks nice too.

If you go solid color and want a smooth finish prep is everything and there is lots of surface area to cover, keep the extra work in mind if you go that route.

12 hours ago, jason str said:

Cheap, easy & most durable is truck bed liner.

Duratex is good.

Stain & poly looks nice too.

If you go solid color and want a smooth finish prep is everything and there is lots of surface area to cover, keep the extra work in mind if you go that route.

The Duratex is a bit too “industrial” If I wind up using it as a table. Poly is super durable, spill & drop stuff on it, no worries. My go to is usually tung oil, which would match the La Scalas, which started out as Raw Birch. So it’s easy, inexpensive, matches, and I like the look. When I did the T18 I used lacquer, I’d never used it before. What a great material, I was really pleased with the results. I was inspired by the Cherry Sunburst Les Paul guitars. I’d really like to do this one in a similar theme, except in a “Silverburst”. The downside is with the size of the TT, the instrument lacquer would be a bit pricey. Still a bit more trimming & sanding before I need to decide. Thank you for your ideas, appreciate the input.

MK

Oil is nice but offers little protection. Is that Baltic Birch you used ?

If you like the natural look a good wax works too but needs reapplication same as oils. Wax tends to hide fillers better as it does not darken after application.

Many choices and not a bad one in the bunch.

• Like 1