Table Tuba Build

M_Klipsches

22 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Good idea. But it’s already almost too big. I’m hesitant to make it even larger. 

Can't say i blame you.

If it really bothers you an alternative would be buy a 1/8" BB panel and go right over it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jason str said:

Can't say i blame you.

If it really bothers you an alternative would be buy a 1/8" BB panel and go right over it.

Yes I’ve always thought that I could just veneer the whole damn thing and start over if it turns out poorly. 

• Like 1

A few years back, I built an entertainment center out of 1/2" MDF that I "veneered" with 1/4" oak (or birch) that you could get at Lowes or Home Depot that came in 4x8 sheets.  It made for a 3/4" piece of wood, basically.  Turned out quite good as I cut sections out to make it look like planks and then used solid oak on edges and routered a nice edge.  Those sheets were very reasonable and stained really good.

Thing is, they may not have that now at those stores as I would imagine it came from China.  I went to Lowes over the weekend to get a piece of their "cabinet grade" 1/2" birch for some garage cabinets we built and they were out of it but had some 3/4"...but not much.  Went to the local lumbar yard and they had some.

Edit...found a pic of entertainment center. 

IMG_3617_copy_768x1024.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

A few years back, I built an entertainment center out of 1/2" MDF that I "veneered" with 1/4" oak (or birch) that you could get at Lowes or Home Depot that came in 4x8 sheets.  It made for a 3/4" piece of wood, basically.  Turned out quite good as I cut sections out to make it look like planks and then used solid oak on edges and routered a nice edge.  Those sheets were very reasonable and stained really good.

Thing is, they may not have that now at those stores as I would imagine it came from China.  I went to Lowes over the weekend to get a piece of their "cabinet grade" 1/2" birch for some garage cabinets we built and they were out of it but had some 3/4"...but not much.  Went to the local lumbar yard and they had some.

Edit...found a pic of entertainment center. 

IMG_3617_copy_768x1024.jpg

That looks damn good. 

1 hour ago, M_Klipsch said:

That looks damn good. 

Thanks. It served its purpose for a couple years in our last house.  I built it based on what equipment I was using at the time so everything fit really well.  But, went to some new things so it wouldn't work with new goodies so I donated it to a church sale thing. 

But all of that was easy to work with. 

I am calling it good for now. Gonna let it dry down overnight & install the driver tomorrow & figure out where it goes. Here are some pics of the finish, either the top or front. It’s beginning to get a bit of the oil “glow”. I’m disappointed with the screw holes, but I’ll leave it be for now. Crap, I just remembered I haven’t built a box for the plate amp. 

E63C2F23-F564-4BE9-B4F2-2525457C345F.jpeg

C7BDCBFC-01EB-49C8-BE64-E482CE38F309.jpeg

• Like 1

M_Klipsch, great thread and amazing build. In these days of self imposed social distancing I have followed the build with great interest and looked forward for progress.

I have the T18, Auto and TableTuba Longstyle plans, but never got around to build one, as I have been going back and forth on wich one to build.

Am very curious on how the T18 and the Table compare :)

Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, donmark said:

M_Klipsch, great thread and amazing build. In these days of self imposed social distancing I have followed the build with great interest and looked forward for progress.

I have the T18, Auto and TableTuba Longstyle plans, but never got around to build one, as I have been going back and forth on wich one to build.

Am very curious on how the T18 and the Table compare :)

Keep it up

Thank you for the positive feedback. I’ve got to admit it was well timed, for certain. I’ve been on a  limited work schedule, so this has filed in the blank spaces for me as well. I’m behind in posting an up date which I’ll get to soon. Short answer; it seems to be exactly like the T18. Not overwhelming, just enhances the low end. Honestly, I was expecting more ooomph. Oh well it’ll get sorted. 

There were a few delays and I haven’t updated the progress. Good news, the driver install went well. Much easier than the T18, even with the 10”. I built a decent box for the plate amp. A big delay was caused by the missing spool of speaker wire. It was located, on a shelf, in a box labeled, “speaker wire”.  I’ve had to accept that it’s just too large to be a table in the space, so it is on its edge in a corner. 
I’ve only plugged it in and listened to it no measurements of any kind. I’ve just listened to music, the only adjustments made, have been on the plate amp. Initial impressions are that it sounds very similar to the T18, and just adding the bass on the La Scalas, at all volume levels. In the loud department, it certainly “keeps up” with them. 

8B521564-7807-4C39-B2FE-2BC39AA0A369.png

E67AF343-EC82-46AD-9E75-8B6F60106182.jpeg

21 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Where. Did you find the build plans? I’d like to build one or two of these using either two 8” inch drivers or one 10” inch driver

Plans are $15 at the Bill Fitzmaurice Web site.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Where. Did you find the build plans? I’d like to build one or two of these using either two 8” inch drivers or one 10” inch driver

If you're going to spend the time building any of these spend the little money and get the latest plans. It includes free updates and makes for a bit easier to build, better finished product.

• Like 1