Table Tuba Build

M_Klipsches

Thanks for your impressions M_Klipsch, shame that the TT is to big to really be used as a table.
I am thinking that maybe a double T18 has more table like dimensions, even if the placement in the room is not reccomended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been getting the room cleaned up and back in shape. I still have just “listened” to it, no real tweaking or measurements. I did have it cranked up a bit today with windows & door open while I was working outside. The neighbors aren’t too close, and probably not too pissed off, but I doubt that they are Springsteen fans. That’s too bad, because Mojo Nixon was the guest DJ on XM’s E Street Radio this afternoon, it was a great show. I never new Mojo Nixon was a Bruce fan. 
Thanks again for everyone’s comments, and ideas, I’ve enjoyed building it. If anyone is on the fence about building one of these, I say go for it. Your wives however, may hold a different opinion.  

1823ADC3-91E8-40E0-8479-0D084FE0385A.jpeg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, donmark said:

Thanks for your impressions M_Klipsch, shame that the TT is to big to really be used as a table.
I am thinking that maybe a double T18 has more table like dimensions, even if the placement in the room is not reccomended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was hoping it would work as well. Oh well that’s how it goes sometimes. The plans even suggest building a cardboard mock up, to check for “fit”. Obviously I skipped this step. The T18 could work as an end table, probably too small for a coffee table? The one I built was only a 12” wide single 8”, though. I forget the max width on the T18. 

9 hours ago, M_Klipsch said:

Yeah I was hoping it would work as well. Oh well that’s how it goes sometimes. The plans even suggest building a cardboard mock up, to check for “fit”. Obviously I skipped this step. The T18 could work as an end table, probably too small for a coffee table? The one I built was only a 12” wide single 8”, though. I forget the max width on the T18. 

I would think the t18 would be a bit small, and the measurements are corner loaded, so in the middle of the room it might be a bit underwhelming, the t45 has a footprint that might work well as a coffee table 24x45xvariable.  Your build came out exceptional, hopefully you can find a placement that works!

19 minutes ago, -Russian-Spy- said:

I would think the t18 would be a bit small, and the measurements are corner loaded, so in the middle of the room it might be a bit underwhelming, the t45 has a footprint that might work well as a coffee table 24x45xvariable.  Your build came out exceptional, hopefully you can find a placement that works!

The middle of the room is likely not the best place for the sub. Corner placement is recommended for a reason but you can always experiment.

Took a bit of time today, measured, tested, and tweaked a little. I must say it does go low & loud. 27hz @ 97db or so, before way too much crap in the room started to vibrate & rattle. To be honest, I almost got a little queasy as I was moving around the room, repositioning the sub. I have no idea as to the validity & accuracy of these numbers, I am just using an iPhone meter & iPad tone generator, so FWIW. 
Full disclosure, I was a bit disappointed at first. Like I said in an earlier comment it really sounded like the T18. Considering the size difference, I’d expected a bit more. One thing, I had the crossover set at 60hz, then raised it to 80hz, that alone was, transformational. Wow!  Paul Simon’s “Graceland”, was now seriously rocking! It was like the La Scalas suddenly became became twice as large. Crazy! 
I rarely watch movies on that system as the TV is a bit small for the room. But now the audio at least will be more impressive.
Zero disappointment with this project. It has proven to be a big distraction with the current “viral” state of affairs. Such a different world now, from when I began gathering parts back in February.
Probably not too much more for me to add to the thread, I will if anything interesting comes up. I’ll do my best to answer any questions that anyone might have. I encourage anyone who’s considering building a BFM design, do it. Buy the plans, read the plans, and just do it. Thanks again for the comments, ideas, and positive feedback.

Everyone stay safe, be well, and be careful out there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jason str said:

These drivers take up to a month to fully break in so don't go too far with adjustments, it will change for the better.

I wondered if that might be the case. The T18 didn’t seem to change much, but I moved it around quite a bit at first. I think I just attributed improvements to placement more than break in period. 

1 hour ago, HPower said:

1823ADC3-91E8-40E0-8479-0D084FE0385A.jpeg

What would have been cool is to build some legs and faux doors and handles like your cabinet next to the sliding glass doors.

You would almost have a matched pair.

That “cabinet” is actually an old Zenith console radio/turntable. I need to either get rid of it, or repurpose it. It has a mono tube amp in it, that’s why I’ve kept it around. I was storing it for my mother in law, she said trash it. I couldn’t do it. So for now it’s just in the way. 

I continue to be impressed by the TT. It just fills the room with bass, all while sounding like it comes from the La Scalas, just a perfect match. I’m not going to re-run YPAO just yet, as @jason str suggests there may be more break-in period of the driver. Plus it sounds really good right now, and I don’t want to screw it up. For now I’ve got the finish about where it should be,  just let it darken over time. I do have an idea to add a little flair to the horn, as it is a bit more visible in this location than it would have been if it had worked as a table. That will probably have wait,  as I don’t have enough materials on hand to complete it.
Again, if you are thinking of building one of the BFM designs; do it. You will not be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m calling it finished. I can’t say that I’m ecstatic about the results, but it’s not that obvious. The big take away is that the difference between $25.00/can guitar lacquer, and $7.00/can Rustoleum lacquer is, huge. But it does dress it up a little, and if I get sick of looking at it there’s always a grill to cover up the horn, which was sort of the original plan anyway. 

B34D2625-F1ED-4BB9-9AA0-38BC0EF55BAD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Update: After living with this sub for nearly 18 months I’ve experimented with the placement & different settings. I’ve also had some resonance issues, that were mostly resolved, but still present.  I originally built it with the intention to use it as a table. Before it was even finished I knew it was too large to be used as a table in that space. It really only fit in one other part of the room, but that was always plan B. I managed to get it sounding pretty good but it seemed it could be better. I tried repositioning it, rotating it with the horn pointed in different directions, finally settled on the horn pointed parallel to the facing wall, away from the corner. This calmed the resonances a bit while still allowing plenty of oomph. Obviously, this design is intended for corner placement so on a whim I bought these “acoustic panels” and installed them in the corner. Once installed, I flipped the sub so that it was oriented, per design. The increase in output was immediately noticeable, the bass went from good to, damn good. Bass you can feel, yet still blends with the La Scalas. I did turn down the amp gain a bit, but I haven’t even bothered to run the YPAO again. I’m sure I’ll get around to it.

47DC72AB-35D6-48D1-B740-0193C622D68D.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Klipsches said:

After living with this sub for nearly 18 months I’ve experimented with the placement & different settings. I’ve also had some resonance issues, that were mostly resolved, but still present.

I had similar issues.  Dual subs mostly solved, but blending perfectly wasnt as I wanted.   I took Josh Riccis advice and fired the mouth of my Ported subs into the wall. Then I played with distance of the port to the wall. In my room, 6" was the magic number. Subs are seamless and vicious. I have mine crossed at 40 hz and that will be different than what you need surely. Give it a try.   Turn YPAO OFF and experiment that way first I would advise. You can always get it to your liking first and see if YPAO makes, things better or worse thereafter.  When I have the subs perfectly blended volume wise, you have, to turn them off to hear what they are doing (depth).  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, jason str said:

There is a model between the 18 and Table Tuba now.24x24x15 

Horn mouth is smothered in that last picture. Read the plans for better suggestion. Finish looks nice.

I’ll check it out,I hadn’t checked in on the BFM site in a while. Yes it’s a couple of inches too close to the wall but the difference isn’t crazy. Actually before the acoustic tiles the best sound was with the horn pointed 180° degrees from the wall. Definitely not according to the plans but it worked better. The best design for the room would’ve probably been the THTLP, standing on end. But as it is , it sounds damn good and it will probably be a while before I build another. Then again…

Thank ya. The Tung oil varnish is darkening up nicely, I’m happy with that decision.

• Like 1