Crown XLi amp for Jub bins?

Ziggurat

Hi all.  Slow to report back, but I have been having an amazing time with my new Jubilee setup - sounding awesome.  I have a First Watt F1J powering the K402's and the big Crown Macro Tech 2400 doing the bins.  After some fluffing around with the EQ, I now have excellent, room filling, scary bass down to 29hz, falling away to not much after that.  Stoked.

The Macro is a beaut, but it is noisy - too noisy really.  Fans, transformer hum etc - an old gem, but I want to replace it.  

I know the Crown XLi series is a completely different ballgame to the Iron Giant Macro, but I would be very interested in hearing peoples thoughts on these for the Jube bins.. I can get an XLi3500 for not too much money, new.

Appreciate any input here - however it is worth noting that because I am away down in New Zealand, much of what you guys buy, and the likes of EBay scores, are not available to me - epecially given 240 volt etc.

Cheers!

On 2/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, Coytee said:

I've got a Crown K2 on each speaker. Been working fine for me.

show off...

I have the XLi800 that I am using with a passive for MWM bins and La Scala tops. Can blow me out of the room and it is still coasting along. With no music playing I have to stick my ear into the tweeters to hear any noise and I can't hear the fans running at all.

22 hours ago, babadono said:

Hmmm... I thought you had a newer bigger Crown back when I visited you when you had the MWM bins. Figured you still were using it.

You have a good memory! Yes, I used to have a pair of Crown XLi800 amp's that I purchased on sale in 2015 & 2016. It's a great little amp for a very reasonable price. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR0A3V4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a Crown XLS1002 powering a Danley DTS20 that work great together.

• 1 month later...

My church has an XLI2500 powering 2 JBL MRX518S Subs.  They've had it for a few years now and it's used every Sunday for two services- one traditional and one contemporary.  The traditional is of course easy peasy, just coasting.  However it gets used pretty well for contemporary.

It's always worked well.  The only concern we've had is occasionally on power up it will trip a 15 amp breaker.

Only replace it with a 20 if you know for certain all the wire downstream is 12AWG.

It's likely just a weak breaker.  Swap it with another of the same rating on a different circuit or replace it with a new one.  They tend to degrade in rating a little with each trip.  After a while (many trips) they'll trip at lower loads.