KSW-10 | KSW-12 | KSW-15 REPAIR BLOG

ngen33r

Hello All

I have been repairing Klipsch subwoofer amps for about 15 years as a hobby. I have decided to start blogging my repairs and eventually do videos of each one. This thread is intended to be a blog and a resource for information. I will try to answer repair questions as best I can. Comments and tips are also welcome, If you do not have the experience or the tools, PLEASE do not attempt any of these repairs. You will only end up damaging the board and it will end up costing more for a tech to repair the damage. If you do not have a high quality vacuum desoldering station (Hakko or Weller) and a current limited mains supply, you should not be working on these amps. These subwoofers do not have any user serviceable parts inside. If you open up the sub or attempt any repair you see in this thread, you are doing so at your own risk!!!

Wayne

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, thanks for the informative posting of the repair blog.

I'm hoping you might be able to give me a few tips.

I have a KSW-15 that started giving distorted output. At first I thought it might be a torn speaker cone but the cone looks good.

Next I thought it might have a bipolar power supply that had a bad positive or negative supply. Unfortunately without an electrical schematic it is tough to trace. Is a schemtic available for these units?

IN terms of experience, I have a BSEE and experience working on solid sate and tube amps for bands as well as consumer TVs, stereo amps, dvd players, etc.

Thanks in advance, Mike D.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey my friend... Haven't got her open yet.. But I have the 10 ksw..... Prolly 3rd owner but I think I got a good price on her...

Anyways... She turns on ... Very muffled though....

Like no back bone...

My one rb-25 has more bass...

The other rb-25 has an issue to.... But that's not for now..so to speak

I have access to parts...and I have removed the 10 exterior skrews...

Just don't want to pry Amy further...until I get some advice...

Still running the 8" with the Klipsch theater 5.1.....! Love it but I can sell it if I can get this 10 " working...

Please help and contact me however you wish..

Thanks again

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2021 at 10:56 PM, MisterWholesome1980 said:

Screenshot_20210618-225536.png

Were you ever able to figure out how to remove the plate from the unit? I’ve removed all 10 screws but the plate will not budge. I don’t see a way to pry the plate off and I’m afraid I will damage the finish if I try anything more aggressive.

• 1 month later...

Hello. By any chance, would you happen to have the service manual for a KSW-15 subwoofer? I am looking to overhaul my KSW-15 subwoofers (currently suffering from humming) but I would like to replace other components while replacing the capacitors.... Thank you in advance.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:52 AM, cwaters said:

Were you ever able to figure out how to remove the plate from the unit? I’ve removed all 10 screws but the plate will not budge. I don’t see a way to pry the plate off and I’m afraid I will damage the finish if I try anything more aggressive.

The back of the KSW-10 comes off just by tugging or prying once you remove the screws around the perimeter. There's a gasket or adhesive on the back, so you need to break it free. I used a thin bladed screwdriver to pry on one side until it popped free.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I have a KSW 15 that has worked great for years. It powers up, well according to the led that lights up, it’s powered up. However their is no longer any sound output.  I pulled the amp and looked for obvious issues like bulging or leaking caps and burn resistors, but didn’t see anything.  I ran some cables from a dedicated amp that I had hooked up to the LFE output and the subwoofer is working. So I know my issue is with the amp.  Any suggestions as what I should check or test on the amp?  Any suggestions will be very much appreciated! Cheers