Advice thoughts requested

Rparker996

Help... I have an itch to try "horns" . Happy planner guy for years. 

I can find used g

Hersey 1 and 2, original Forte for about same $ amount.. original Cornwall double the cost. 

All things being the same condition ECT. Would you recommend one over the other, 

I realize that environment plays a huge part but putting that aside which way should I look. 

I do not have a grasp is significant difference between models 1,2,3 

Thanks for your help

• Like 2

If you're wanting horns... it's a sin to not try low frequency folded horns in addition to the high frequency mids and tweeters.., that mean you only have three choices, none of which are really cheap.

A suggestion is to listen to them in a well balanced/tuned system before buying if at all possible. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rparker996 said:

I can find used g

Hersey 1 and 2, original Forte for about same $ amount.. original Cornwall double the cost. 

All things being the same condition ECT. Would you recommend one over the other, 

As an initial foray I'd consider the "1/2 the price" choices.  Of the two, they are largely the same but one has a bit better (deeper) bottom end and has its horns pointing more "at you" instead of "up at you" so my recommendation between those two would be the Fortes.

There are many other factors to consider as well, such as room size, where you'll be placing them, etc., which might favor just getting the "big boys" but spending twice the money just to stick your toes in the water is something to heavily consider, I'd think.

• Like 1

Rparker,

Welcome to the forums. Klipsch has alway made real improvements to each series over the years, so a newer model is really better ( in some way) than the previous model. Finding someone close to you with any of these would really be beneficial in helping you choose.

For example:

The original Heresy used the same midrange driver and complete tweeter as the much larger La Scala ang Klipschorn. Although an awesome speaker, many felt the midrange a bit too forward. The Heresy II comes along and Klipsch used a smaller midrange driver and a different tweeter. The result was/is a more balanced sound. Some like the original better than the second.

I have Heresy IIs, while my older son has the original series. They are both great, but there are differences. The H III was a huge step up from both, and the recently released Heresy IV knocks it out of the park. (So does the price, but much of this is due to inflation given the long history of Klipsch).

So, the short of it would be to find someone near you to let you have a listen. Not set up in a non optimal space, i.e., pawn shop, cluttered garage, parking lot or crowded music store.

As was metioned also, the taller Forte is nice.with the mid an tweeter closer to ear level.

Bruce

Welcome! 

Of the ones you listed, I'd pick the Fortes. 

But, you should give a listen to the newest versions of all of the Heritage line you can.  My reaction to the Cornwall IV from the Cornwall III was an involuntary, "Oh, wow!"  Heresy IVs are less expensive and pretty impressive, too, so I bought a pair. 

• Like 1

Feeling a little bit like the Red headed step child. I ONLY have H1 and H2s, Fort'e 1s, Quartets, CW2 and 1978 K honrns. All the OLD stuff LOL! 

I never went with Plannar speakers but you will need a good CLEAN amp with a CLEAN first watt. When you consider that Klipsch run from the high 80 DB to one watt to well over 100 DB for the first watt, most of your listening will be at LOW power VS the plannars. Just a thing to think about.

• Like 1