Anyone use a dehumidifier?

BigStewMan

Really not loving the moisture up here in the Pacific Northwest. Wondering if I bought a dehumidifier for the house if it would make it more comfortable. My asthma has been more active since I moved to the constantly damp place and I'm constantly having to spray mold remover in the shower. 

Makes me miss living in the desert.

Any advice, suggestions ... something not too large.  Is this something that I could run during the day and turn off at night?  While I'm deaf once I take out my hearing aids, my brother has bionic hearing, so a loud device wouldn't be a good idea, so prefer being able to turn it off at night. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Run the exhaust fan in the bathroom for at least 15 minutes after a shower.  Central air dehumidifies nicely.  I'm sure you have neither of these, but it is good advice.

I run the fan when showering but generally turn it off as I leave -- I'll try leaving it on like you suggest. 

1 minute ago, Schu said:

There is also some passive stuff that comes in a can, you just empty out the can after water builds up.

Yeah I have tried that in Honolulu.  It works for removing smell, the musty humid smell, but as for dehumidifying the air in a room I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

Passive dehumidification

What is Passive Dehumidification?

Passive dehumidification is a new technology that uses no extra electricity. It uses a series of three separate evaporator coils to cool and heat the air. In the first part of the system, the incoming air is passed over a set of evaporator coils filled with super cooled refrigerant. The heat in the air passes into the fluid. The temperature difference causes condensation to form. This removes moisture from the air. The heated refrigerant is sent to a holding tank. The energy savings will become evident in the third part of the system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

What's the matter, Steve

just another thing about moving that I'm experiencing. I'm not in an arid climate anymore. the ground outside my back door has NOT been dry since I moved here last March.

Notice mold in shower happening quite often.

lived most of my life in beach cities and didn't experience this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Yeah I have tried that in Honolulu.

Never really noticed the humidity on Kauai. It is cooler than Honolulu. Nevermind that hard candy melted out of its wrapper, cigs didn't get stale and raisins were always soft. Our condo was on the north side of the building. It was cool and air always moving.

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

lived most of my life in beach cities and didn't experience this. 

midwest and Gulf coast are pretty sticky at times.

I have limited experience with the PNW. Went to Seattle and spent a week on the beach out on the Olympic Peninsula. It didn't rain the whole time. I won't say we stayed dry. The fog was very present. Like walk by our camp thick.

• Like 1

Every customer that I do a house for signs a dehumidifier agreement stating that they will maintain humidity levels between 40-45% period and unless you live in an arid climate you should be running a dehumidifier that you set the level and leave it on all the time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Every customer that I do a house for signs a dehumidifier agreement stating that they will maintain humidity levels between 40-45% period and unless you live in an arid climate you should be running a dehumidifier that you set the level and leave it on all the time.  

can you recommend a particular unit or brand?  Apartment is small, only about 1000 sf

27 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

can you recommend a particular unit or brand?  Apartment is small, only about 1000 sf

Frigidaire is what I recommend for home use and I have a few of their units.  The company absolutely sucks for warranty on everything, but their units are consistently rated well.

30 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

40 to 45 is normal to high for here in north central Texas.  The high temps make that feel pretty bad sometimes.  There are periods of 30 to 35 when it gets really hot and dry.

There's a happy medium between too dry and too damp, whatever works for the individual with 45 being a max and keep it set at your desired level.

6 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Frigidaire is what I recommend for home use and I have a few of their units.  The company absolutely sucks for warranty on everything, but their units are consistently rated well.

Thanks Pete ... one more question, in this small of an apartment, what size unit would you think appropriate to do the job?