Over-priced Cornwalls in Connecticut

PrestonTom

39 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Did you use the term "over priced" to get more attention? They don't seem overpriced to me. This is what it costs to make a Super Heresy 2.0!!

These are not my speakers so I am not concerned whether they get much attention or not. There are folks who might be interested so that is why I posted them. 

At this price I do not think they are a very good deal. That is why I used the term over-priced - so folks don't think I am recommending the deal. 

At the end of the day, this is an asking price and who knows what they might actually sell for. I used to own Cornwalls and I liked them very much. Stock Cornwalls at about half this price would be an incredible value. The deals are out there and maybe the guy is willing to negotiate. Otherwise you can always sell a kidney .....

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

These are not my speakers so I am not concerned whether they get much attention or not. There are folks who might be interested so that is why I posted them. 

At this price I do not think they are a very good deal. That is why I used the term over-priced - so folks don't think I am recommending the deal. 

At the end of the day, this is an asking price and who knows what they might actually sell for. I used to own Cornwalls and I liked them very much. Stock Cornwalls at about half this price would be an incredible value. The deals are out there and maybe the guy is willing to negotiate. Otherwise you can always sell a kidney .....

Since when does a posting in the Alerts section require it to be a trip over 18 other buyers to get to the deal?

Thank you for posting.

IF you feel that Alerts is better suited for those "steal of a deal items", then consider posting general finds in the "Did you see what I saw" thread WITHIN the Alerts :  

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Pretty.

Black grills would make the natural wood pop. No doubt getting onto the LaScala price range. 

Black grills would surely make the cabinets pop, and although LaScala pricing is at or near asking price for these, some here as you know have struggled considerably in their recent search to find a suitable (or any) pair of LS to purchase.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

When you consider that most "general" used stuff, in good condition (unless it's a digital camera), will go for about 50-70 percent of new on Ebay, $1,200 for used Cornwalls, for the right buyer, is not overpriced. Considering $3,000-4,000 per pair new, and up to $6,000 for the IV versions, that makes for an arguable matter of opinion.

Either way, you did a good thing by pointing out their availability! So thanks for that, even for those who just want to know the going rates for their inflated dollars in trade, or not.

When you consider how much used Klipsch has gone up they are not high. When you consider that used Heresy's are now mostly 5 to 600and up they are not high. people who think things have gotten ( not saying you Tom just people in general) to high were asleep at the wheel and waiting for deals that wont ever be back unless you are super lucky.

4 minutes ago, yorkdaletoronto said:

Is there any technical reason why the Cornwalls cabinet size have to twice wider than the woofer. No other speaker company has this ratio ? 

It’s my guess the ratio is a result of achieving the desired internal volume without increasing the depth and/or height.  I’m reminded of the Dynaco A50 shown below.

71E1CBC9-7E94-4811-A254-16AB754FA526.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkdaletoronto said:

Is there any technical reason why the Cornwalls cabinet size have to twice wider than the woofer. No other speaker company has this ratio ? 

It is not two times wider. Uses a 15" diameter LF transducer and the cabinet width measurement is 25.3". It is a fat cab for sure, i own the CW3s.

One can only conclude the really large internal cab volume was calculated by PWK (designed, engineered, and 1st released in 1959) to result in the LF extension due to its bass reflex cab design. Mine in room will hit 30 hz, down quite a few db tho.

Here is a REW response test (one unit) waterfall of my CW3 below:

30-400hz waterfall.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randyh said:

-   black-----k77 round -K33 square  -78-79   still have the sales slip -

Yeah, I can see why you want them. I thing those grills would look great on them too. To me, neither the wood, nor the grills pop / stand out because they both look too much alike. I think that black grills on the ones for sale would make the wood's character show. 

• Like 1