I have parts, can I build a center

Dneu2011

I have a friend that had some spare parts pulled from a single La Scala and I was wondering if I could build a Cornscala with it to use as a Center channel with my Cornwall III’s.

I have a KT77 Tweeter,  A-55-G squawker, and a Dean Wescott La Scala crossover.  I also have some spare Hawthorne Augie 15’s but not sure if I can incorporate them somehow in the build... Thanks.

Yes you can build a center from Klipsch parts, I did. Two K-1077 8 inch woofers, the K-401 horn, PV5 driver and Crites CT125 tweeter. Bob Crites told me that best results would be to use a K-401 horn instead of the K-601 horns in my flanking Cornwalls. He was right since the center channel is predominantly vocals. A grille that matches the Corns covers this in normal use. The CRT based TV is long gone replaced by a flat panel.

2006 Center.jpg

Parts make good center channels. This one is a great match for my LaScalas. I used a Heresy tweeter and midrange and selected Focal dual 7” woofers and ported. The crossover had to be re-configured from the type E that came came in the Heresy. The frequency response is about like the Heresy, but with a little stronger bass and the timber matches perfectly across the soundstage. The cabinet face is the same as the LaScala top and the depth adjusted to the woofer parameters to perform well. I had to take a few dB off the tweeter and midrange to level out the volume with the woofer. Some might ask “why didn’t you just use the Heresy?”; I wanted it to look like a center channel and fit in my console.

Good luck on your project!

B00FC4C0-4EEA-4B38-A20E-C629FE796940.jpeg

• Like 1

If you intend to have off-axis seating,i.e., more than 15 degrees off-axis in your listening room, see:

The easy fix is to orient a center MTM-type of loudspeaker vertically, not horizontally.  This is the same type of configuration as a Dunlavy or Duntech type of setup:

49d389bdd896d0bfb25e26de731c5eca.jpeg

Chris

Interesting post, Chris.  I have a modified H1 as my center, turned sideways because the old room had a low ceiling.  I knew it would have off axis irregularities (wasn't sure which/how many) but I like the effect.  Some guests think the TV speakers are on.  They dont know how crappy the TV speakers really are.  🙂