Heresy ii in teak

Noisebleed

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Noisebleed said:

From what I've read teak wasn't an option for the H2's yet my pair 

S/n 8751537 are in fact labelled 

Hii-TO. 

Noone believes me...

Can you provide some type of history thru the serial? Only have the 1 tag, the other went missing.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Dale,

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum, can you send a photo of the label you do have. This will assist Jim, and other former Klipsch employees on here help track down the information.

What grills do they have on them?

Teak may not have been an official option, but Teak, Zebrawood and other furnishes would be available as a special order item.

Travis

If the Heresy II speakers were made prior to the sale by PWK of the company to Fred and Judy Klipsch, then teak may likely have still been an option for a special order.  After Fred and Judy got the company the options got very small in number due to their "save the rainforests" support (IOW, caving in to tree-hugging consumer demand to forego using rainforest tree lumbers or any thing like that!).  My attitude is that if somebody is planning to cut down trees to make farmland, anyway, then why not make the BEST USE of the trees they will cut down,  since it beats the heck outta BURNING all of that fine wood which could be better used to produce fine veneers and furniture!

• Like 2

Speakers are 87 and timeline shows sale was 89 so teak could still be special order i shall assume.  Will also assume not that common of a finish.  

The grilles, what are they referred to as?

Brown, tan, gold??

Either way, these speakers still get rotated in time to time despite my personal love/hate relationship with em.

Appreciate the help guys!

Yes, a special order was undoubtedly the reason for this pair.  As best as I can make out from the photo, this was the standard brown cloth of the day.  Paper logbooks were not used in this timeframe, so exact rarity cannot be determined.  I would say "damn rare" for a Heresy II. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Noisebleed said:

Either way, these speakers still get rotated in time to time despite my personal love/hate relationship with em.

Well that is an interesting statement for sure. Perhaps a bit of elaboration for us? 

Surely a rarity in teak. Beauties for sure. And def well cared for. 

19 hours ago, Noisebleed said:

Speakers are 87 and timeline shows sale was 89 so teak could still be special order i shall assume.  Will also assume not that common of a finish.  

Those Heresy II speakers were packed up within a few hours or so after those labels were attached...and they were from the 51st week of 1987, so that means that they were made right before the employees were off for Christmas, most likely...probably got shipped in January of 1988...and if the sale was made a year or more after they were shipped, then I would bet that they were a special order that was used at the dealership for awhile before they replaced them,  boxed them up, and sold them....dealer special orders for display weren't that uncommon of a thing!  I can't think of any other reason that a special-order would actually be sold over a year after it arrived at a dealer....unless the dealer intended to use them for display, then later sold them....unless the original customer backed out of the deal to come get his special order and they were stored as stock awhile waiting for another customer who wanted Teak-oiled finish Heresys.  Stranger things have happened, though!

Come to think of it...since the pic you posted of the label is not the ENTIRE label, by chance, was there a red-over-stamp on the edge of that label that reads "not for re-sale" or "not for retail purchase""???...or something like that?  Just wondering if these were made for an employee, who had to keep them for a year before being able to sell them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noisebleed said:

Yes, they can sound quite good but i find them quite upstream dependant.  I need something with tone controls lol!!  None of my tubes are as enjoyable as they should be.  Cap coupled sansui n a baby marantz currently in rotation. 

Exactly why I cannot own any receiver, pre-amp, or amp without tone controls. Recordings vary much, some are good, some are not so good. Without the ability to compensate for a poor recording is just painful. Especially low bass output.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Noisebleed said:

No red stamp.

The remaining label was dangling by a single staple so, don't laugh but i removed and framed.  It wasn't glue washed like other labels I've seen and was curling up like a dried leaf.

Full pic...apologies for weird angle,  was getting nasty glare off glass.

15825069289821056892017302428235.jpg

That's cool!

Interesting the grill cloth looks greenish so I remembered this brochure had some of the options shown..

Jim do you know by the code # on the back bottom right corner of the brochure what year it was from..?

Anyway here was the Teak option and a Green Grill Cloth option as well shown.

9883C06D-0817-44A9-9FFC-EA05694BAF43.thumb.jpeg.66640e77c2b901708e72a87ae97a3b72.jpeg

257F2912-A356-4452-98EB-C5B97060E844.thumb.jpeg.04ccf13d34c5920955202e294ac3e6b0.jpeg

624148A5-1629-4630-8DC1-EB98D3EF060C.thumb.jpeg.47551d4b40ddcea1f5640fb836d74ad8.jpeg

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Interesting the grill cloth looks greenish so I remembered this brochure had some of the options shown..

Jim do you know by the code # on the back bottom right corner of the brochure what year it was from..?

Anyway here was the Teak option and a Green Grill Cloth option as well shown.

9883C06D-0817-44A9-9FFC-EA05694BAF43.thumb.jpeg.66640e77c2b901708e72a87ae97a3b72.jpeg

04AB36AE-8C0A-473E-9FE3-AF8142D4DD77.thumb.jpeg.04430aa72f0155b3f963e4be9c8fecd8.jpeg

624148A5-1629-4630-8DC1-EB98D3EF060C.thumb.jpeg.47551d4b40ddcea1f5640fb836d74ad8.jpeg

Those are from 1980.

Guys,  need to ask the dreaded question.

Have a rider on my insurance for replacement cost on electronics in the event of...

Newer just gets replaced, on my vintage its more of a market value or inflation adjusted retail from when new.

Because of the rarity of these how do i value them?  Because currently they are listed as nothing more than run of the mill h2's.