Free Upgrade to Win10 in 2020.

WMcD

I have a Pavilion g7 running Win7 on which I did not perform the free upgrade to Win10 as offered a couple of years ago.  Supposedly that was a one-time offer. Not so.

Now Win7 is no longer supported and I get a nag every now and then.

However, an article attributed to Forbes (you can Google) gave instructions to get the free upgrade right now, 2020.  You must have a legit copy of Win7 installed. The instructions have a link to  a media creator utility.

It works with some caveats.  When trying to install the system file directly on the Win7 computer there is an error about a modem issue.  MS is going to let me know when the problem is solved.  Ha.

But I used the listed alternative to download the file to a  USB flash drive to another computer.  I did that to a Win10 computer and put the flash drive in the Win7 computer.  Using the file utility I found the setup.exe on the flash ran it as administrator.  No need to set things up to boot from the USB. 

These downloads took a long time (hours)using my DSL line. It will seemingly hang at e.g. 47% but it is just a matter of big files, small pipe IMHO.  It advises that third-party utilities meant for Win7 and which will not run on Win10 get deleted (true).  There is choice to not delete programs and personal file.  That worked too.

I'm a happy camper.  I don't see anything to indicate this is not total legit as far as MS is concerned.  During the installation they offer a license and I accepted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

FWIW. 

I had some apps which were designed for XP, where this o.s. was, naturally, 32-bit.  The app had a driver for a security dongle which was 32-bit.  I also had a camera with a cable transfer utility which was 32-bit.  None worked with Win7 Home.  This was apparently because that Win7 operating system was 64-bit.

I purchased ($$$) and installed 32-bit Win7 Pro and things worked. I think there is Win10 Pro 32-bit.

It is my dim understanding that most recent Windows application software is actually 32-bit but designed to run on 64-bit operating systems.  (So maybe you're not getting 64-bit performance out of apps except for some memory intensive applications.  The 64-bits allow more effective access to more memory.) 

Apparently some drivers, particularly old ones designed for XP can not run on a 64-bit system even though its app can run.  For this reason you are forced to run 32-bit operating system.

Maybe someone here can clarify. Help!!!

• Like 1

Hi Gil,

After I upgraded JB's computer from 8.x to 10 for free, I swore I would never have it.  Did your method require you to set up a cloud service, give them your phone and other personal info.  My Instrument room PC runs either Lubuntu or Win7.  It is a 32-bit netbook.  I keep Win7 for my Garmins and taxes.  Next year might be filing on paper if Win10 is still invasive. 

Nope on telephone number or cloud service.   I did have OneDrive but it was out of space and this was not mentioned.  Gotta fix that.

H-D Rider? Did you have such issues?

The Forbes instructions did not mention any such complications.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WMcD said:

Nope on telephone number or cloud service.   I did have OneDrive but it was out of space and this was not mentioned.  Gotta fix that.

H-D Rider? Did you have such issues?

The Forbes instructions did not mention any such complications.

No issues so far. 🤞

FWIW, I recently did the free conversion from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit to Windows 10 Professional 64-bit. It was absolutely seamless.

However ...

I spent several days digging through various menus, disabling things that I did not want. It seemed like the default value for everything was "Yes, automatically connect to any network that you can find and send all of my information to The Cloud." It's not really spying per se, but if you're an old codger like me, you like to keep your personal stuff within your own control.

I also had a computer running 32-bit Windows 7 Professional. Its conversion was equally easy, but afterward a message came up telling me that Windows 10 could not run 32-bit VMware Player ... which is what I use to run a Windows XP virtual machine ... that runs all of the old software that wouldn't run under Windows 7. So I backed-out of that conversion, and will continue to run Windows 7 on that computer until F-Secure anti-virus no longer supports it. By that point it will probably be time for a new computer anyway.