Trying a different mid horn on LaScala (Fostex H00)

Ray_pierrewit

I recently spoke with a local gent who is into DIY audio and speaker building who has started to produce "exact clones" of the Fostex H400 wooden horns. From the pictures he's shared, they look exquisite. Very nice craftsmanship. He wants to visit me shortly to show off his wares and hopefully try them out with LaScalas. He says that the current fitting is for a 1 3/8" driver. I believe the cutoff frequency of the horn is 455Hz (though everywhere online seems to indicate 455kHz!). I understand this would mean that it should cross over to the bass bin somewhere around 800Hz, whereas the K400 + K55V is 400hz(?). He told me that he's be ready to build the H200 horn which has a 240Hz cutoff and 2" throat, could this be an interesting candidate for a 2 way system?

My main question, is there any danger in temporarily trying these horns out using my (spare) K55Vs in this horn using AA crossovers? I understand it's not ideal and wouldn't be a long term solution.

I'll be sure to take some pictures of these homemade horns and share.

Daniel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_pierrewit said:
4 hours ago, Marvel said:

Marvel, have you ever heard any of the Fostex horns?

I have not, but had looked at them a long time ago. For sure there won't be any ringing with those... 😉