Home Run, Merry Christmas, Yippee, Finally.....

oldmako

Finally picked up a nice pair of Cornwalls.    I think they're 1's, as the serial numbers are stamped into the wood.  The factory stickers are in poor shape.     23U132 and 23U130.

Oiled Walnut with new Bob Crites tweeters.  They have also recently been recapped though I have no knowledge of what went in.  I have all the original parts.

The grills need new cloth.  They each have some minor tears and marks but nothing heinous.

The cabinets are in fair to good condition.  They each have a few nicks in the veneer but they look great from across the room.

Blasted them for two days an old Sansui 5700 so I could A/B them with my CF-3s.  Every time I compare my CFs (my first Klipsch) to new speaks I wonder why I ever kept buying speakers.  I love the CFs and they still make me smile.  But these Cornwalls are a marked improvement.   So far, not as much Bass response but the mids are scary bright and FULL.  It sounds like I put four speakers in the room and not just two.   I just wired them to my Fisher 500B.  So far, great.  I think the thing holding them back is the room is too small.   Guess I need a new house. 

700 Bucks.

- Happiest guy in the hood!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I was the opposite I guess. Had the CF-3's and found a pair of 78 Cornwalls, put a new pair of tweeters in and changed caps.  CF-3's still walked all over them. Same thing happened when I came across KLF-30's...the 30's were sold.  Built a set of Belle clones with all new parts and sold the CF-3's and still regret that. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, oldmako said:

I love the CFs and they still make me smile.  But these Cornwalls are a marked improvement

Have both and still prefer the CF-3's. Of course room layout, etc. makes a large difference. Using my CW's as "rears" in our main room ... CF-3's in a dedicated (smaller) stereo room. Would like to hear your opinion in a few months when the excitement of getting "new" Cornwall's wears off :D 

17 hours ago, oldmako said:

Finally picked up a nice pair of Cornwalls. 

17 hours ago, oldmako said:

700 Bucks.

Nice pickup.  The Heritage Prices spreadsheet says the average for those is $850.

May I ask your general location, for the spreadsheet?

Perhaps some more esplainin' will help...

First, the pic.  Second, I am in Virginia Beach and found them on Norfolk Craigslist.

I find it a bit difficult to accurately compare them to the CFs for a few reasons -

1.  The room is probably far too small, maybe 12 X 14.  It's a FROG or, furnished room over garage and has a peaked roof.  The dudes carpet really ties the room together, however. 

2.  The shit eating grin on my face is pushing my ears into an unnatural and awkward position to accurately hear what the hell is going on.

3.  I'm RFO and have been listening to The Who and others for a LONG time.

4.  I fly noisy airplanes for a living and have for 33 years.

5.  My bottom feeder gear and heavy duty lamp cord wires are probably sucking sound out and shooting it off into the stratosphere.

6.  There are two other reasons evident why my hearing sucks in the pic.  ;). What can I say? 

The Bass on the CFs is far punchier, but it seems like the mids are better.   With the tone pots at FLAT, I found that I needed to wind the bass up more on the Cornwalls.   Less tight thump, but still plenty of Bass.   When I got the Bass right and selected the CFs, it was too much.   Alcohol was involved.  If I jammed a sub between the amp and the Cornwalls I could probably rule the world.

9C8B6300-A4A3-435E-8CB6-C31E854EB2A1_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, oldmako said:

Ding Ding.  I've heard them described as "sonic turds" but they sure opened up my CF3s.   They loved the power.

Thanks... I have never seen them before, only heard DJK talk about Flame Linears...

• Moderators

Looks good, a hair more toe in maby?

On 2/26/2020 at 8:37 AM, Marvel said:

Thanks... I have never seen them before, only heard DJK talk about Flame Linears...

Heard that before also, when they go they take out everything inline with them. 

I read an interesting article about these amps once.  While I don't recall the specifics, all the amps that entered flambe-mode had been seriously compromised because idiots were putting HUGE fuses in and tossing the factory sized fuses into the trash.   Apparently Bob Carver used a radically different method to produce power than most electronics makers used.  Somehow, he massaged the ample power avail through the normal AC current to create High Power amps and that when someone replaced the fuses with significantly larger ones, the end result was generally catastrophic.   Hence the term, Flame Linear.

I ran my CF-3s on one and my 5.2s on another for a while.  I used a simple splitter to get to line outs to the amps.   The result might not have been what most audiophiles like to hear, but it sure made me smile and vibrated anything not bolted down all over my condo.   My neighbors did not approve.  Those were the days.    

• Like 1