Shipping Damage MC2505

PHX1KAH

Purchased a McIntosh MC2505 Amplifier on-line a while ago and the owner said he would have the amp professionally packaged but as you can see the packaging was poor and the amp has signification damage to the face of the unit, gain switches and power switch will need replacements along with glass, end retainers, upper & lower extrusions, right power meter and end caps.  The wood case is damaged beyond repair.

I've already purchased another MC2505 amplifier, so my question is a vintage amp worth the effort and expense to fix? Or should I just try to sell as-is for parts?

MC2505 -.jpg

MC2505 ---.jpg

• Sad 1

I HATE seeing shit like this, sorry. Seems like there is only more of it as, time goes on.... I don't have the answer to you question, but if it were mine and I could get an estimate via dropping the amp off in person or email with detailed photos, I woild do so and compare that against resell value or holding onto it if needed.  Good luck. 

Sorry to say, but parts.

Professionally packaged with bubble wrap?  I think not.  You never, ever, ever ship something like this when it is still within a wood case.  Hope there was insurance, and everyone took good pics both before and after shipping.  

• Like 1

Sorry that happened I too have felt the pain. I would demand complete refund!
I don't know how many times I have posted on the internet forums that

1) never ship a McIntosh without factory crating (available from McIntosh and Audio Classics)

2) Always pull the knobs off prior to shipping (in the factory crate)
3) Pack and ship the wood case separately surrounded by soft cloth, surrounded by pink foam (not peanuts) and double boxed.

Yes it costs more but look at what you received. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

There is only one way to ship a Mac amp, buy a shipping box from Mac, or one from Audio Classics. The ones from AC are actually better, no MAC on outside. Some of them have wood pallets on bottom that the amp is bolted to, and they arenall double boxed.

The boxes cost anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on the amp.

Anybody who has a Mac amp shipped without one of these boxes is just asking for trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, USNRET said:

Sorry that happened I too have felt the pain. I would demand complete refund!
I don't know how many times I have posted on the internet forums that

1) never ship a McIntosh without factory crating (available from McIntosh and Audio Classics)

2) Always pull the knobs off prior to shipping (in the factory crate)
3) Pack and ship the wood case separately surrounded by soft cloth, surrounded by pink foam (not peanuts) and double boxed.

Yes it costs more but look at what you received. 

Read my mind 

Based on my experience with this same amp and my assumption based on the photos that not only is there cosmetic damage to the glass, knobs, buttons and case but also rheostat issues due to shaft movement my personal opinion is that this is a parts donor.

• Like 1

To the OP all above is valuable info. I purchased a Mac MC-150 like a month ago off ebay. The seller said he had double boxed Mac pieces before and he did in fact pack it well double boxed. But he failed to remove the 2 knobs, or relieve the foam from contacting the knobs. End result a broken front glass. He paid for the glass and meter filters I ordered straight from McIntosh Labs in NY. Mac Labs are great people, I worked with Brian. I got some advice from USNRET here and watched a video on youtube. I got the glass replaced and cleaned the amp internals while I had the unit partially apart. Took pics and notes, step by step. 

I did  research on my repair @ a local shop, costs. I agree with the guys looking at ur pics this unit is now a parts unit, way too expensive to repair, not worth it. Like others say, ship in original Mac container, or purchase a new shipping box/container from Mac Labs. One for my unit costs $75. It attached with screws to the unit bottom so a 60 lb unit doesn't shift even slightly in shipping resulting in glass breakage. And some of the 350 wpc Mac stereo amps weigh 107 lbs. No Mac box...no ship, lesson learned.

On the flip side I absolutely love my MC-150 amp. It would cost $5000 to replace it new in today's market. Originally sold for $3000 in 1995 to 1997.

@PHX1KAH

I want to add if you search, there are a couple shops/guys in the US who specialize in repairing/restoring McIntosh equipment. Perhaps one of them might be interested in purchasing ur unit remains, least you might recover something from it. Or maybe they purchase for its salvagable parts? I will post a link to one such I found while searching a month ago. Guy in TN. There are not a lot of Mac repair shops to be found really.

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/

I hate to see a vintage piece of equipment salvaged for parts but I don't have the knowledge to repair electronics so I will probably sell "as-is".  For me the labor expense would make restoring it a poor financial  decision. I never tried to power-up the amp for fear of releasing the "magic smoke".  I got about 80% of my purchase price returned so I might break-even if I sell for parts. 

Sorry to see this happen, sounds like everyone else has the shipping covered.  I believe if the cost of the amp itself and the components to rebuild are worth it to you, then I would have it rebuilt.  Keep in mind, If you ever plan to re sell it, you will never recoup the cost of repairs back, but you did save an amp from the bone yard. 

14 hours ago, PHX1KAH said:

Purchased a McIntosh MC2505 Amplifier on-line a while ago and the owner said he would have the amp professionally packaged but as you can see the packaging was poor and the amp has signification damage to the face of the unit, gain switches and power switch will need replacements along with glass, end retainers, upper & lower extrusions, right power meter and end caps.  The wood case is damaged beyond repair.

I've already purchased another MC2505 amplifier, so my question is a vintage amp worth the effort and expense to fix? Or should I just try to sell as-is for parts?

MC2505 -.jpg

MC2505 ---.jpg

I have never seen damage that bad. Destroyed!  I would demand my money from seller. 

PS: I'm very sorry!