MWMs and funky placement

Marvel

So... the wife is gone for a month, so I am playing with what I have in our family room (21x23x10). At the moment, I don't have room to place the MWMs in their proper orientation, and I have been using them with the LaScalas tops for the mids and tweets, even though they are squeezed in the middle. I decided to lay the LS on their side and just use them as boxes, while I hooked up some BMD750 2 inch drivers with some Selenium horns, and some APT150s for tweeters on top. The APT150s are Eminence APT50 drivers on a 100x50 horn flare. Using the DHA2 crossovers from the LS with no changes. 

It shouldn't sound very good, really, although the tweeters are physically aligned with the mids. Should probably be about a 5 ms delay on those from the MWMs. Still, they sound unbelievable. Need to get an active crossover so I can really do these right. Showed the pic to my older son and his older daughter (oops... 9 or 10... I should know), said, "We need speakers that big."

mwm_selenium.jpg

• Like 8

The MWMs have two K43s in each. Simply amazing, articulate bass. They had been donated to the college where I previously worked, by JWC. The school decided after four years, to give them to me as they didn't think they would like them or be able to use them. Their loss is my gain.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Randyh said:

and last question - did you build this pair from scratch

Randy, I didn't really answer this directly. No, they are from the factory, meant for permanent install. They have a barrier strip on what would be the top back corner. Each woofer has its own connections and you jumper them for series or parallel.

MWM_terminals.jpg

Just to get a better idea of the size of the MWM cabinets. I placed some boards with a rug on them across the front of the LS to keep craziness from the hollow space between the cabinets.

Love how these sound... need to get REW and a microphone to find out what to do with the setup.

MWM_Selenium.jpg

• Like 4

😉 Actually added one about a month ago. Because playback sound is so clean, it is too easy to find yourself with the volume a bit too loud. Low level listening is very sweet. I don't usually have it very loud... you can't hear it from the street, but I could piss off the neighbors if I wanted to.

• Like 4

On 2/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, Randyh said:

based on the sticker , these are relatively NEW  ---for Cinema -  ------how much do these cost

Not sure, although I know about what JWC claimed for his donation to the college.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I listened to a pair at DaveAs a little while ago.  He played the Allman Bros.  I was super impressed by the bass detail.  Don't the MWMs have a similar fold to a Jubilee?  🤔

Not really, see pic. Very simple design.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:39 PM, Marvel said:

Actually added one about a month ago. Because playback sound is so clean, it is too easy to find yourself with the volume a bit too loud.

Very true.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:39 PM, Marvel said:

Low level listening is very sweet. I don't usually have it very loud..

Same as we do 80% of the time, love the sound. Over 11 years now and never thought about changing anything.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:42 PM, Marvel said:

Just to get a better idea of the size of the MWM cabinets. I placed some boards with a rug on them across the front of the LS to keep craziness from the hollow space between the cabinets.

Just a little bigger than bookshelves. 

I like the way they look on their sides.

mwm (25).JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dtel said:
45 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I listened to a pair at DaveAs a little while ago.  He played the Allman Bros.  I was super impressed by the bass detail.  Don't the MWMs have a similar fold to a Jubilee?  🤔

Not really, see pic. Very simple design.

Yea it's the same but different:)

On 2/24/2020 at 10:25 PM, Marvel said:

So... the wife is gone for a month, so I am playing with what I have in our family room (21x23x10). At the moment, I don't have room to place the MWMs in their proper orientation, and I have been using them with the LaScalas tops for the mids and tweets, even though they are squeezed in the middle. I decided to lay the LS on their side and just use them as boxes, while I hooked up some BMD750 2 inch drivers with some Selenium horns, and some APT150s for tweeters on top. The APT150s are Eminence APT50 drivers on a 100x50 horn flare. Using the DHA2 crossovers from the LS with no changes. 

It shouldn't sound very good, really, although the tweeters are physically aligned with the mids. Should probably be about a 5 ms delay on those from the MWMs. Still, they sound unbelievable. Need to get an active crossover so I can really do these right. Showed the pic to my older son and his older daughter (oops... 9 or 10... I should know), said, "We need speakers that big."

One thing I did notice from "all Y'all" fellow Klipscheads, is your damn TV's are too frikkin' SMALL (new 77" LG OLED Owner). Big horns are one thing, but you gotta keep things proportional, eh? Meanwhile, most of the Klipsch HT guys are using small Klipsch speakers and big screens! LOL.

Funny you should say that. I showed the pic without me in t and they thought it might be a computer monitor. When I told them it was a 55 inch tv, their eyes bugged out a little.

When we move to the Philippines, we will probably downsize everything...

On 2/24/2020 at 7:25 PM, Marvel said:

mwm_selenium.jpg

Guess you won't be needing those puny La Scalas no more...

Just now, Marvel said:

They will go to my older son when he can get down here from North Carolina to transport them back.

My dad had a pair of big JBL's when I was a kid that I would've wanted handed down to me, but our house was broken into while we were on vacation and they were gone. (not sure what model they were).

The MWMs are really too big. If they would have been the singles, they would have been fine for me, and easier to move around or donate.

I could have a pair of the cabs built in the Philippines pretty cheap.

My son and I want to build a pair of University Classics. They would fit a lot better.

• Like 1