MWMs and funky placement

Marvel

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The MWMs are really too big. If the would have been the singles, they would have been fine for me, and easier to move around or donate.

I could have a pair of the cabs built in the Philippines pretty cheap.

My son and I want to build a pair of University Classics. They would fit a lot better.

I actually think you're onto something with your placement. If those MWM's were straight up instead of slanted back (maybe legs on the back to prop them up) you could mount the horns to the middle flats and have a pair of 3-way CF's on steroids!

1802006696_2020-03-0121_34_30.thumb.jpg.5e233ad899f6f43bd37340f86460a359.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

If those MWM's were straight up instead of slanted back (maybe legs on the back to prop them up) you could mount the horns to the middle flats...

That D'Appolito arrangement of top-bottom horn mouths with co-axial midrange/tweeter in a close-stacked vertical orientation (tweeter body touching the midrange horn mouth) would sound very good indeed.  Just compensate the time misalignments of the midrange and tweeter with respect to the MWM using your DSP crossover and you've got a killer pair of loudspeakers.

Chris

• Like 1

The pic isn't mine, but you will see that the horn couldn't go across the middle, and the woofer chambers are separate (top/bottom, or left/right in my case). Now, if they could be, I could probably make that happen (and make it reversible).

MWM_30.jpg

Just let the midrange/tweeter horns stick out in front and dial their delays back.  You'd then have a coaxial D'Appolito fully horn loaded pair of stereo loudspeakers.

🙂

Chris

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Marvel said:

Funny you should say that. I showed the pic without me in t and they thought it might be a computer monitor. When I told them it was a 55 inch tv, their eyes bugged out a little.

When we move to the Philippines, we will probably downsize everything...

You must be retiring. Hawaiian weather without the high cost, eh?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marvel said:

The MWMs are really too big. If the would have been the singles, they would have been fine for me, and easier to move around or donate.

My son and I want to build a pair of University Classics. They would fit a lot better.

You can easily cut the doubles, make a single, then sell off the Two K-43's, or put them in the LaScalas and sell the K-33's, since the midrange definition is better with the K=43's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

since the midrange definition is better with the K=43's.

The definition  on the upper end of the K-43s is amzing.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You must be retiring. Hawaiian weather without the high cost, eh?

The Philippines has many pluses, and also some minuses. Our US dollars will go a long way over there, of course.  I absolutely love the Philippines and the people who live there. However, it isn't the US and I will be an outsider.  Treating folks with respect helps, always will be at the head of the list.

I'll be 71 this June, still working, have a very little retirement income ahead of me.

@Coytee    Richard, I had the K-510 here for a while but can't find the measurements I made of the horn.  Can you tell me how deep they are (front to back, from the baffle to the rear)? I am pretty sure my Seleniun horns are deeper and I need a shallower horn.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I absolutely love the Philippines and the people who live there.

I think you proved that by marrying one, just got lucky with the one you picked. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Marvel said:

However, it isn't the US and I will be an outsider. 

True and you could never pass as Philippine, the height and tint or lack of it is way off. But like you said respect goes a long way, and from meeting you, you have no shortage of it.

On 3/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, MechEngVic said:

I actually think you're onto something with your placement. If those MWM's were straight up instead of slanted back (maybe legs on the back to prop them up) you could mount the horns to the middle flats and have a pair of 3-way CF's on steroids!

1802006696_2020-03-0121_34_30.thumb.jpg.5e233ad899f6f43bd37340f86460a359.jpg

I like the idea, but there is wood behihind the front piece. I also measured, and it is too close to the K-43 woofers, even if the wood was not there. Still going to figure something else out, though.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:07 AM, Marvel said:

The difference between men and boys is only the size and price of their toys

007.gif       0070.gif

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Marvel said:

@Coytee    Richard, I had the K-510 here for a while but can't find the measurements I made of the horn.  Can you tell me how deep they are (front to back, from the baffle to the rear)? I am pretty sure my Seleniun horns are deeper and I need a shallower horn.

Do you want from the face (outer edge of the front) to face (outer edge of rear)

Do you prefer from the INSIDE of the front to rear?  Something other?

I'm going to try to get it out of the closet in a few minutes.

I’m not sure how high these will crossover, but, I have heils on my mind so.. How about splitting the two halves apart 6” or so and installing a AMT stack assembly in between the two halves with wings extending out from there. The di-pole effect would undoubtedly suffer, but maybe it could be absorbed.

just a thought.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 11:40 PM, MechEngVic said:

That mid section is only 18" across so you can't fit big horns in there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, Marvel said:

When we move to the Philippines, we will probably downsize everything...

I was stationed there in the '80s for over 6yrs, have land there already, going back in a few more yrs. Look into the SRRV visa, if you haven't already. Something like $7k tax free for bringing in stuff.