Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) I

JJkizak

11 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Ugh.  The possibly long incubation period couple with something like this is a bit scary.

yep.  But fear not.  Our dear leader has told us not to worry.  The key seems to be to live in a big house with lots of grounds separating you from the general population and washing your hands every 2 minutes, because in-between you are probably picking your nose.  ( be pretty rich)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Just wait til it hits the schools in the US, then shared at home with all family members. Even our fearless leader cannot stop that.

• Like 1

Thing is yes the flu is bad and annually kills more people so far .

But do they quarantine entire cities for it ? Can you imagine if it happened/happens to you and yours . 

Living in WuHan city or another quarantined city would be something like just stay right where you are , don't have any contact with other people and we will check back with you in a month or so . If you're not dead you're good .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Thing is yes the flu is bad and annually kills more people so far .

But do they quarantine entire cities for it ? Can you imagine if it happened/happens to you and yours . 

Living in WuHan city or another quarantined city would be something like just stay right where you are , don't have any contact with other people and we will check back with you in a month or so . If you're not dead you're good .

the issue seems to be the Ro of this disease the speed at which it spreads, it has the capacity to infect so many more people than a cold or flue there in lies the danger. If that were not bad enough it may also do damage to internal organs of those who survive which can vary from nil to sever. You might want to look to the postings of
Dr. John Campbell who provides balanced and conservative commentary on the topic. see link.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching

What I notice about the Don is that he tends to make a pep rally type speech towards situations.

If you're listening for something to chide someone over all the time you can miss some of the messaging. Medical people there had already said it's inevitable.

True that positivity can help in many situations, I'll listen to my brain and "gut" prep somewhat and get some canned protein stuff also. Thinking why not get more of the canned stuff that I keep here anyhow, the cupboard  does have some empty spaces for a while now. Half a freezer full of frozen veggies is good for now, need to get some Pict-Sweet Turnip Greens before they disappear `till next year.

57 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

Since I retired last year I very seldom go anywhere. I might go out once every couple of weeks or so, at the most. So I should be safer than most, right? Except for the fact that my wife works at a hospital full time...

Sounded good until the whole wife hospital thing:)

Somebody else had posted this a few days ago. CDC data on US flu infection rates and deaths. CDC says somewhere between 14,000 and 41,000 flu virus deaths in the US for the 2019-2020 flu season. First their data seem lacking, that's a variance of 200% deaths in their reported data. Must be purely projected vs an actual running count data. Has to be.

But if the flu has killed say 20,000 Americans this season, whats the huge scare from coronavirus if only 3000 have died in the epicenter (China) so far?

Grant you from reading there is a vaccine for the typical flu strains and no vaccine for coronavirus. But by the data, deaths specific, the flu has been a heck of a lot more deadly than the CV.

I would think the CDC would have more accurate data on flu cases and deaths in the US.  Why the fear and reaction over CV?

Given the projected data, there might be 80,000 Chinese deaths attributed to the flu itself 2019-20 season. China pop= 1.35 billion. USA= 327 million.

CDC flu data: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Certainly you don't think that's real?

A very good point but maybe, maybe not. 

I watched a BBC story last night and they showed people dead in the street, hospitals where dead bodies are in the waiting room all night while people are waiting, doctors having meltdowns, police dragging people away and in other areas police welding doors shut to keep people in their apartments, and a girl in a sky rise yelling that her mother is dying and she has no way out.

This is extremely serious and the stress has to be getting to people.  A few people start crying out at night and others will follow.  Society falls apart very quickly. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Somebody else had posted this a few days ago. CDC data on US flu infection rates and deaths. CDC says somewhere between 14,000 and 41,000 flu virus deaths in the US for the 2019-2020 flu season. First their data seem lacking, that's a variance of 200% deaths in their reported data. Must be purely projected vs an actual running count data. Has to be.

But if the flu has killed say 20,000 Americans this season, whats the huge scare from coronavirus if only 3000 have died in the epicenter (China) so far?

Grant you from reading there is a vaccine for the typical flu strains and no vaccine for coronavirus. But by the data, deaths specific, the flu has been a heck of a lot more deadly than the CV.

I would think the CDC would have more accurate data on flu cases and deaths in the US.  Why the fear and reaction over CV?

Given the projected data, there might be 80,000 Chinese deaths attributed to the flu itself 2019-20 season. China pop= 1.35 billion. USA= 327 million.

CDC flu data: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

I think they're worried over there because a major, major part of their population have to continue to eat Bats, Porcupines, Asian Turtles, Dog soup, fresh water shrimp, and a plethora of bottom feeding fish among others grown in ponds of sewage while their fowl live in cages hung above these ponds which actually feed the fish life with their poop......boy that was a run-on sentence.   Could it be that Mother nature is bringing on her wrath naturally? No regulations for anything you buy over there, did anyone ever mention how filthy things are over there?    Its just a big repeat like SARS, the bird flu and others. 

500,000 die every year from merely food poisoning. Since the 1980's HIV infected 60 million people and over half have died. Im not downplaying this corona variant, but I certainly hope it is just more of the same.

O Great St. Rocco, deliver us, we beseech thee,
from the scourges of God;
through thy Intercessory,
preserve our bodies from contagious diseases,
and our souls from the contagion of sin.
Obtain for us salubrious air;
but, above all, purity of heart.
Assist us to make good use of health,
to bear suffering with patience;
and, after thy example,
to live in the practice of penance and charity,
that we may one day enjoy the happiness
which thou has merited by thy virtues. Amen

St. Rocco, pray for us (say three times)

19 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yep.  But fear not.  Our dear leader has told us not to worry.  The key seems to be to live in a big house with lots of grounds separating you from the general population and washing your hands every 2 minutes, because in-between you are probably picking your nose.  ( be pretty rich)

Well, I live a house between big and small, a nice sized suburban yard and I just finished washing my hands after being out for a while.

Ironically I found myself picking my nose as I read your post. Small world 🌎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, polizzio said:

familiarity with influenza I suppose. Compare the human reaction to HIV back in the early 80s ... people were just as worried about what they DIDN'T know about it.