Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) I

JJkizak

maybe many of these surveyed don't need to lose any more brain cells to alcohol?

NEW YORK, Feb. 27, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- 5W Public Relations, one of the top 15 independently-owned PR agencies in the U.S., has conducted a survey via phone of 737 American beer drinkers over the age of 21 on February 25 & 26, 2020, regarding their opinions about the popular Mexican beer brand, Corona, as a result of the deadly coronavirus that's spreading around the world.

According to SEMrush, a trends data provider, and multiple media reports, there has been a consistent uptick in searches for "corona beer virus" and "beer coronavirus" over the past few weeks.

5WPR's survey found that:

• 38% of beer-drinking Americans would not buy Corona under any circumstances now 
  • Among those who said they usually drink Corona, only 4% said they would stop drinking Corona, but 14% said they wouldn't order Corona in a public venue 
  • 16% of beer drinking Americans were confused about whether Corona beer is related to the coronavirus

• Haha 1

Accidental deaths in hospitals are the 3rd leading cause of death in America. Some 250,000 patients die annually from an ‘oops’ during a hospitalization. With this in mind there is no way anyone can expect these systems to be infectious disease ‘bullet proof’. So the notion of our “fearless leader” being ineffective at stopping any disease is really dumb. For something such as covid the best we can expect is to delay/contain it long enough for our industry to develop and distribute a vaccine. Even the draconian measures placed by total dictatorships is not working to contain covid so there’s nothing positive to be gained anywhere by politicizing this new virus.

Yes covid now shows that it can retreat into dormancy and resurface and express acute illness. Chicken pox/shingles and the herpes viruses and many viruses do similar things. So while this is not good news it is also not a novelty for viral infections. As for the mortality rate it is also similar to well known viruses. Polio had similar mortality figures. More than 90% of the people who got polio just experienced a bad cold. But we all recall wards loaded with iron lungs. Well 2% of 500,000 cases will give you a lot of paralysis, thus the pictures showing 100’s of polio victims residing in iron lungs.

Whether a bad influenza or polio or measles or now covid any infectious disease where zero population immunity exists it can realize a massive amount of infections in a very short time frame. This huge volume of acute cases overwhelms systems and those experiencing the worst infections will more likely suffer the worst consequences. IMHO covid cannot be stopped for the time being. It can be managed with the goal of not having masses of sick people in need of urgent care

47 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Accidental deaths in hospitals are the 3rd leading cause of death in America. Some 250,000 patients die annually from an ‘oops’ during a hospitalization. With this in mind there is no way anyone can expect these systems to be infectious disease ‘bullet proof’. So the notion of our “fearless leader” being ineffective at stopping any disease is really dumb. For something such as covid the best we can expect is to delay/contain it long enough for our industry to develop and distribute a vaccine. Even the draconian measures placed by total dictatorships is not working to contain covid so there’s nothing positive to be gained anywhere by politicizing this new virus.

Yes covid now shows that it can retreat into dormancy and resurface and express acute illness. Chicken pox/shingles and the herpes viruses and many viruses do similar things. So while this is not good news it is also not a novelty for viral infections. As for the mortality rate it is also similar to well known viruses. Polio had similar mortality figures. More than 90% of the people who got polio just experienced a bad cold. But we all recall wards loaded with iron lungs. Well 2% of 500,000 cases will give you a lot of paralysis, thus the pictures showing 100’s of polio victims residing in iron lungs.

Whether a bad influenza or polio or measles or now covid any infectious disease where zero population immunity exists it can realize a massive amount of infections in a very short time frame. This huge volume of acute cases overwhelms systems and those experiencing the worst infections will more likely suffer the worst consequences. IMHO covid cannot be stopped for the time being. It can be managed with the goal of not having masses of sick people in need of urgent care

As posted 15 hours ago, courtesy of sunburnwilly

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/politics/hhs-whistleblower-coronavirus/index.html?ref=hvper.com

But you may excuse incompetency all you want.  It has become the American way.  Since when is it political to point out incompetency?

Remember the Simpson's episode with the song Lisa invented to stop the rampaging commercial icons?  "Just Don't Look"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-chief-of-staff-mick-mulvaney-suggests-people-ignore-coronavirus-news-to-calm-markets/ar-BB10wBvn?ocid=spartanntp

9 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

That was funny. 

Chief Wiggams shoots at the virus as his first instinct, no thought at all.  

The picture next to Kent Brockman with a Godzilla with a thermometer.  That show was great.

My wife and I reference that episode all the time, way before this latest situation.  There are lots of other references we use, too, like the "stick with your wife" fortune cookie barrel.  The first 10 years of it or so have become part of our lives.

23 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

But you may excuse incompetency all you want.  It has become the American way.  

I do recall a certain ‘fearless leader’ boldly proclaiming that our healthcare systems could easily manage the Ebola virus.......... then blithely transported several Ebola cases stateside. With weeks Ebola had spread amongst several health workers.

I will grant you that our leadership is woefully under informed about healthcare delivery. But there’s no political boundaries to this idiocy, especially when it comes to a highly infectious virus. If I have any genuine concerns I could envision some overly political zealot intentionally spreading this disease attempting to cultivate political leverage. Like you, there seems to be some seriously unhinged people out there. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Since when is it political to point out incompetency?

it isn't so long that it is pointed out wherever applicable -- which is widespread. Actually let me clarify my position, I don't think it's incompetency rather an unwillingness to do the right thing, the right way at the right time. Seems our leaders first have to read their political tea leaves to determine if they should be part of the solution or merely criticize their opponent. You know, cash in some of their political miles.

For instance, I read that the CDC has said what has hurt their agency the most is that grants have been dwindling -- grant money doled out by congress which funded primarily state & local entities that would be first-responders.  I know I don't have enough fingers to point the blame; but I do know that I spent over 20 years in a crisis response organization and the White House is NOT a first responder. Whoever is looking to Washington D.C. in the early stages of a crisis (barring foreign invasion) is going to be continually disappointed.

"My house is on fire, call the president, call my congressional rep ...hurry I need immediate help."