Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) I

JJkizak

• Moderators

Look at the bright side, China's factories are mostly shut down, pollution has dropped off according to NASA.

Nitrogen dioxide levels over China decreased dramatically as China continues to grapple with the coronavirus outbreak.  (NASA)

3e5f8fe4-CV.jpg

35 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Last night a second case of unknown origin in California, woke up today and Oregon and (I think) Washington. 

Let's talk productive.  Anyone stocking up and what have you bought? 

Washington case, the person died today I heard.

local tv news here in Oregon, said a second case is suspected.

was just at the store and looked like just another day. 

No unusual stockpiling of goods. I normally go to the store daily for whatever I'm eating that day, but I did buy some extra stuff so I have enough food in the house for a week. If I die, I die -- no big deal; and it won't happen until God says it's my time. 

Does make me wonder though ... at the hospital two weeks ago for acupuncture and this old guy is in the waiting room reading a public magazine and licking his fingers to turn the pages.  I wanted to yell at him to stop, that grosses me out even if I'm not in a hospital during cold & flu season.

Another gal sitting in the waiting room eating a bag of chips. 

I guess some just don't worry about that sort of thing. 

Curious though, is this CV any worse than any other virus that we've encountered over our lifetimes?  Swine flu, SARS, Bird Flu, etc... is 24-hour news making it seem worse?

45 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Last night a second case of unknown origin in California, woke up today and Oregon and (I think) Washington. 

Let's talk productive.  Anyone stocking up and what have you bought? 

Our pantry is well stocked with dry goods and as I type this, my wife is making the rounds at Costco and Sam's. If the President says to stay indoors for the next few months, we will be good to go. Am sure that my 8' stack of ramen noodles will go a long way!! She is buying lots of canned goods like tuna, chicken, beef, pork, soups etc. I asked her not to forget my all time favorite food..............EXTRA CRUNCHY JIFF peanut butter and boxes of Saltines. It has to be Jiff. I know, OCD. Hopefully this virus will not get to the point where we have to seal ourselves indoors.I understand we are not to discuss politics on this forum but, we all know how this outbreak started...................and it wasn't from some freakin' ant eater in an open market.

17 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Curious though, is this CV any worse than any other virus that we've encountered over our lifetimes?  Swine flu, SARS, Bird Flu, etc... is 24-hour news making it seem worse?

I don't think it is any worse except how easily it seems to spread.  News is not making it seem worse.  It really did explode in China, lots of people have died there, and the economy has been stifled.  Thanks to the global economy, that has created downline problems and uncertainty, which the markets have reacted to.  Markets don't worry about "the news" so much and they also see right through the spin machines.  It's all about making money and if it is not being made for whatever reason the markets reflect that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pete H said:

If you wait until a possible event is on the horizon, you're too late.  I've been prepared for quite a few years.  

yeah but if I prepare, I may survive and then I'll just encounter a whole bunch of stuff that I was never really interested in to begin with. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

Our pantry is well stocked with dry goods and as I type this, my wife is making the rounds at Costco and Sam's. If the President says to stay indoors for the next few months, we will be good to go. Am sure that my 8' stack of ramen noodles will go a long way!! She is buying lots of canned goods like tuna, chicken, beef, pork, soups etc. I asked her not to forget my all time favorite food..............EXTRA CRUNCHY JIFF peanut butter and boxes of Saltines. It has to be Jiff. I know, OCD. Hopefully this virus will not get to the point where we have to seal ourselves indoors.I understand we are not to discuss politics on this forum but, we all know how this outbreak started...................and it wasn't from some freakin' ant eater in an open market.

No.  You don't know that.  No one does at this point.

6 minutes ago, Pete H said:

If you wait until a possible event is on the horizon, you're too late.  I've been prepared for quite a few years.  

Since I live in Florida, we have an area in our pantry that is is full of totes with lots of MRE's, gallons and gallons of water and canned goods. We only touch it after the hurricane season is over and then restock as necessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

Since I live in Florida, we have an area in our pantry that is is full of totes with lots of MRE's, gallons and gallons of water and canned goods. We only touch it after the hurricane season is over and then restock as necessary.

When I lived in coastal Carolina, it amazed me how many people weren't prepared at all, no plan, no provisions and then panic set in when there was a storm looming.  You've obviously been through a few events.

10 minutes ago, Pete H said:

When I lived in coastal Carolina, it amazed me how many people weren't prepared at all, no plan, no provisions and then panic set in when there was a storm looming.  You've obviously been through a few events.

It only makes sense to be prepared and it's so easy to do. Buy the food a little at a time, save those empty gallon jugs for water to flush toilets. Don't fill the jugs until you know within a few days that a severe storm is coming. Put them aside and refill your flushed toilet tank only after you have gotten to the point where you can't stand the odor etc, etc. Most canned and dried foods last for several years and you can use them up as the expiration date is close. Just don't forget to replace what ever you use. My wife has everything listed and tapes all the pertinent information on each tote. Don't forget batteries, flashlights, small am/fm radio, small cardboard box with all those extra little things like 66 cases of Stella to drink up while listening to the fm radio.