Yet another bass bin sub project using KLF10 K1056K

efzauner

I have a pair of K-1056-Ks available.. and I used a previously posted sheet to create a TS parameter driver file for WinISP.

These would be to augment the low end of my Heresys for music listening, not for earth moving HT bass.. I have an SWR15 for that. 

I can play all day with Win ISD but would appreciate your feed back on qualitative sound for the following options. 

I have a 240wpc crown pa amp to drive these.

Does anyone know what the Xmax of these are?  Fiddling with the signal I get cone excursion of about 10mm with 100w signal at 35 and 60Hz   on a vented design that mimics the KLF10 Box.

Does this make sense?

I want the box to be not much more than 50 liters as they will be used as base/risers for my Heresy's 

On the the main question

I am thinking of the following options:

1: vented design but with lower F

2: Sealed design with 6db/octave shelf eq

3: Sealed design but adding about 30g of mass to the cone. This seems the simplest design has anyone ever tried this with any LF driver? 

The last option seems interesting. 

I could also just make a box with a vent, and play with vent size.. and even seal the vent...  Even with a  movable partition to change the volume!!  

to try different configs.

thanks

E

• 2 weeks later...

It is not clear what you are shooting for. 

It sounds like  the lowest frequencies will be handled by a subwoofer, then crossing over to the KLF 10 box, then crossing over to the heresy woofer, then crossing over to the Heresy midrange, then crossing over to the Heresy tweeter. 

Is this correct? Specifically, what is the bandwidth (6dB down points) you are trying to get the KLF 10 box to handle? Also, would the KLF10 box be positioned below the Heresy cabinet?

Good Luck,

-Tom

EDIT: Okay I see you now added the necessary info. A step forward

Edited by PrestonTom

thanks for all the feed back

I currently use the Heresies with the RSW 15 and  Pioneer Elite HT receiver. Sounds great but for the sub in the rear corner. I can tell the bass is coming from there.

My plan was to use the bins placed under the Heresys  and a separate amp with just a low pass electronic crossover when using the Heresies driven by my Pioneer SA9500 to get just a bit more bass presence. Only the bins would be Low passed, I was not planning to use the electronic crossover to HP the PA section of the SA9500 driving the Heresies. I would be happy to get down to 30 Hz but would prefer a sealed sound like my older large Advents. 

That is why I suggested adding some mass to the woofers to extend the response without a vented design.   How did the 60s ane 70s large woofer acoustic suspension speakers get low end response? With heavier woofers or with higher compliance?  I know that a woofer design is different if it is intended for sealed or vented cabinets.

And yes, I used that TS sheet to add a driver file to Win ISD.  

Dumb questions. Is it two Heresys or Heresies?  :)  

Ed

Which bins do you speak of under?

It is nice to have an RSW 15 with non directional presence in a place where you can hear it separate from the other speakers/ Heresy...

Listen some more before you reposition. Abit of an anomaly if it widens a sounstage... Cool?

7 hours ago, billybob said:

Which bins do you speak of under?

It is nice to have an RSW 15 with non directional presence in a place where you can hear it separate from the other speakers/ Heresy...

Listen some more before you reposition. Abit of an anomaly if it widens a sounstage... Cool?

The K1056K woofers I wish to make into bass bins and use them as stands under the Heresys. 

The RSW15 is in a corner in a  somewhat squarish room and  really cant put it any where else. It is not in the best place. There is a null in my favorite spot sadly. 

• Like 1