New (probably used) car ideas??

Coytee

Not in market "today" to get another car however, I do think it's on my horizon so trying to look ahead, so I'm starting my educational research now.

I drive between 2,000 / 3,000 miles each month so would like to get something that has fantastic mileage.  I am NOT interested in something that has to be plugged in.

Owning a (diesel) tractor and backhoe, I'm very intrigued with a diesel automobile.  Prefer something that gets 40 mpg verses 30 and prefer 30 over 20.... you get the drift.

Not against new (2020 or an on the lot 2019) and not against buying something 4-5 years old since all I'm going to do is drive it into the ground.

Currently have a Toyota Camry which has been reliable as a rock.  I get something between 32/34 mpg and would want to be at that level or better.

Thoughts?

I was in a Toyoya Prius taxi the other day, had just over 300,000 miles on it and the driver was telling me how reliable it has been and how he was turned on to them from other drivers who experienced the savings over the miles.

50+ MPG

If you don't mind a smaller car its a good option.

17 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Does a Prius ever have to be plugged in or does it get it's power through regenerative brakes?  (and I admit to having NO clue how that process works!)

Regenerative braking as well as the engine can charge it.  They actually get better mileage in town than on the highway as the gas motor is needed for highway speeds.  Take my comments with a grain of salt as that's how they were years ago when I messed with one.  They may have a plug in option now for all I know but they didn't used to.

Mostly highway?  Most Prii use the engine to charge the battery.  Though some may have optional plug-in.  Early hybrids took years to save enough fuel to cover the extra cost.  One Lexus took 120+ years.  I am not sure any hybrid is economical, yet. 

Smaller sedans can hit 40 mph on the highway.  Looks like any of the Asian Camry/Civic/Versa class cars can hit your mileage mark, if you are willing to accept the size compromise.  If I were going small, I'd look at a driver's car like a Miata or FT86. 

Highly recommend a Prius. I have a 2014 (daughter"s car) that I bought new. Over 100,000 miles, zero problems, even still has original brakes (regen braking really helps them last). 50 mpg year round average in Ohio.

Holds a lot of stuff too. However, drives like a Prius (SLOW), but I drive a WRX.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tromprof said:

Highly recommend a Prius. I have a 2014 (daughter"s car) that I bought new. Over 100,000 miles, zero problems, even still has original brakes (regen braking really helps them last). 50 mpg year round average in Ohio.

Holds a lot of stuff too. However, drives like a Prius (SLOW), but I drive a WRX.

Speed is relative. I have neighbors who own Priuses and love them. The opposite is a Jeep Trackhawk luxury SUV, 707 hp, 4 wheel drive, 10 speed auto, 0-60 faster than a Corvette. Can carry 4 or 5 comfortably. You might get 13 mpg tho. If i had deep pockets, I might just own a Trackhawk for chits and giggles.

24 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Miata

Had a Miata for 10 years.  Was a fun car.  Came at the end of the line of drop tops for me.  (1971 Olds 4-4-2, 1969 Mercedes 280 SL, Miata)

I've thought about those....  was a fun car.

Yes, this is greatly skewed to highway driving.

My Camry probably has 260,000 miles on it (haven't looked in months).  Original brakes (because I do more driving than slowing down!!!  That happens when you live out in the boonies!)

I think I was at 230,000 miles on my Miata before I got rid of it.  Don't recall ever replacing the brakes on it either.

Moral of story?  Don't drive in front of me!

Test drove a diesel BMW.  Don't recall the model number.  Was expecting a slug but it drove quite nice.  My brief research indicated there was a prior model that might have been European that had a distinctly more powerful engine and the one I drove was the smaller (shrugs shoulders)

Realistically, I suppose....  it will end up a Honda, Toyota most likely.  Don't know, which is why I'm asking for other ideas.  Given my druthers, I'd PREFER a diesel but resign myself that it will probably be a traditional car.

Doesn't VW make a diesel (or gas) car with great mileage?  (is a VW going to hold up as well as a Japanese car might given equal upkeep?)

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Realistically, I suppose....  it will end up a Honda, Toyota most likely.  Don't know, which is why I'm asking for other ideas.  Given my druthers, I'd PREFER a diesel but resign myself that it will probably be a traditional car.

Doesn't VW make a diesel (or gas) car with great mileage?  (is a VW going to hold up as well as a Japanese car might given equal upkeep?)

Painting with a broad brush here but diesels normally have more expensive oil changes, air filters, fuel and require DEF every fill up or two.

10 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Forgot about the DEF thing...  (neither my tractor nor backhoe use it)  ... I'm probably dreaming on a diesel.

Haha ... if you do get a diesel, be sure to keep it filled up with DEF. Ran it "dry" on my Mercedes ... cost me over $2000 :( 

My neighbor right next door just traded his Jeep for a black Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition supercab truck. Gorgeous rich brown leather inside, the smell. Came inside and googled 1794 because i had never heard of one.......$49,000 MSRP. 4 wheel drive, big V-8, Lexus leather int.

Another 12 or 13 mpg vehicle. 5600 lb curb weight.

12 minutes ago, polizzio said:

My neighbor right next door just traded his Jeep for a black Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition supercab truck. Gorgeous rich brown leather inside, the smell. Came inside and googled 1794 because i had never heard of one.......$49,000 MSRP. 4 wheel drive, big V-8, Lexus leather int.

Another 12 or 13 mpg vehicle. 5600 lb curb weight.

People that get that mileage with a Tundra can't drive.  I average around 15 but the best I've ever seen with it was about 19 on a trip.  You have to pay the price for 400HP and gearing to pull 10,000 lbs.  Can't have everything!  LOL