New (probably used) car ideas??

Coytee

42 minutes ago, Pete H said:

People that get that mileage with a Tundra can't drive.  I average around 15 but the best I've ever seen with it was about 19 on a trip.  You have to pay the price for 400HP and gearing to pull 10,000 lbs.  Can't have everything!  LOL

I don't own it so i wouldn't know. Its rated by manufacturer at 13 city, 18 hwy. I get 19-25 with my 2012 Camaro, with a trailer hitch.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

I drive between 2,000 / 3,000 miles each month so would like to get something that has fantastic mileage.  I am NOT interested in something that has to be plugged in.

Thoughts?

It is 2007 and you are looking at rear projection TVs when flat screens are taking over.

Forget about protecting the environment if that is offensive to you and test drive an electric car.  They are a game changer.  My friend said it cost him 14 cents to drive 20 miles (actually nothing because he has solar power).

They are quiet, fast (really fast) smooth, and really inexpensive to drive and (unfortunately) that is how they should be marketed in the United States. 

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Forget about protecting the environment if that is offensive to you and test drive an electric car.  They are a game changer.  My friend said it cost him 14 cents to drive 20 miles (actually nothing because he has solar power).

How about initial purchase price and maintenance costs broken down per mile of operation/ownership? There isn't a car out there that costs the owner zero per mile to operate, unless you really suck at basic math.

2 hours ago, KlipschFish said:

What you save on gas you spend on shoes!

yeah, but he could go on that new television show about the doctors that treat people with weird feet issues. I mean, if I'm going to be embarrassed on television, I should be compensated -- fame  alone doesn't pay the bills. 

26 minutes ago, polizzio said:

How about initial purchase price and maintenance costs broken down per mile of operation/ownership? There isn't a car out there that costs the owner zero per mile to operate, unless you really suck at basic math.

Well, of course.  But an electric car has very few moving parts.  I think that the first maintenance is at 150K and it is minimal.  Fluids and brakes. 

The big thing will be replacing batteries, but if that is pushed 15 to 20 years out there should be a solution.

In any event, this thread is about gas powered cars and I am derailing it. 

The Camry has been good, the OP should buy another.  I love Toyota products.

4 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The Camry has been good, the OP should buy another.  I love Toyota products.

Agreed. Those Mexicans don't buy old Toys and tow them thru south Louisiana and TX (convoys sometimes) to Mexico for nothing. Toyota sales and reliability stats speak for themselves.

4 hours ago, polizzio said:

I don't own it so i wouldn't know. Its rated by manufacturer at 13 city, 18 hwy. I get 19-25 with my 2012 Camaro, with a trailer hitch.

Think  how much further you could go if you removed the hitch!!

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

It is 2007 and you are looking at rear projection TVs when flat screens are taking over.

They are quiet, fast (really fast) smooth, and really inexpensive to drive and (unfortunately) that is how they should be marketed in the United States. 

My fear stems from my ignorance.  If they "require" to be plugged in to recharge.....and I'm driving 130/150 miles one way to my destination....  to then have to turn around and drive home, plugging it in won't be very practical.  Now, if it can generate its own juice, then that's different.

I'm just 99.9999999999999% ignorant on them so pass by.  (my neighbor has one and had a charging station installed at his driveway (outdoors much like a public charging station, NOT in his garage).  That might have erroneously shaped my opinions.....I do NOT want something like that and leave at 5:30 A.M. to discover I'm at a poor charge with a road trip ahead.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

My fear stems from my ignorance.  If they "require" to be plugged in to recharge.....and I'm driving 130/150 miles one way to my destination....  to then have to turn around and drive home, plugging it in won't be very practical.  Now, if it can generate its own juice, then that's different.

I'm just 99.9999999999999% ignorant on them so pass by.  (my neighbor has one and had a charging station installed at his driveway (outdoors much like a public charging station, NOT in his garage).  That might have erroneously shaped my opinions.....I do NOT want something like that and leave at 5:30 A.M. to discover I'm at a poor charge with a road trip ahead.

300 miles a day.  There are Teslas that can do that but you might be pushing it right now.  Any charging at your destination?  If so, the electric car should pay for itself rather quickly. 

If not, get another Toyota.  You are driving about 75,000 miles a year so you will wear it out and then the electric cars will be ready for your mileage. 

Test drive one anyway.  Quite an experience. 

37 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

In West Virginia we call those coal fired cars.  :cool:

I find humor in that for sure. Let me preface this by stating I believe electric powered vehicles are our future. But right now if you google what is used to generate our electrical power, maybe 25% is renewable power source like hydro, wind or solar. So I buy a new Tesla lets say, but when I plug that baby in at night or at a Supercharger station on the road while travelling, more likely than not, natural gas or coal was burned to generate that electrical power. Most likely natural gas burned to generate electricity, the number 1 power source in the US today.

But we have to start somewhere. Unless you have a huge solar array at home and a massive battery bank to store power to recharge your electric car, fossil fuels are being consumed to create electricity. Batteries are expensive, why so few residential solar panel users own or employ them for power storage. I worked in a large new oil refinery and we spent millions on storage batteries (UPS systems), substations full of them. So we could manipulate control valves and see our instrumentation/input in a total power failure. Least for an hour or two. Been there done that years ago.

Electric vehicles are our future long term. Tesla is working on electric 18 wheeler "over the road" tractors. Think about the massive LiPo batteries needed to store power to move an 18 wheeler tractor, and its trailer full of product. And for a meaningful distance between recharges.

Electrical power sources in the US today: https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Oh boy, here we go. 🥱

Yep, it will never work, let's all just find an excuse and give up. 

or...

Even if powered by a coal plant, an electric car uses much less power than a combustion engine.  Now add solar power, which so many criticized as a waste of money in the recession.  I just added a system and my first power bill was $9 (basic service charge). 

The last piece of the puzzle is inexpensive storage.  Of course that will never happen, just like solar never begin less expensive than coal and other forms of generation.

I predict that in 10 or 20 years, power will become like hard drive storage.  10 or 15 years ago everyone compressed files and went to lengths to not waste 'valuable' storage space.  It took 5 to 10 years and that concern went away.  Power will go the same route, at least for those that can afford their own system (or understand that spending some money now will save a bunch later rather than buying another useless status symbol).  Power companies will still find a way to take advantage of everyone else. 

51 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:
5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Oh boy, here we go. 🥱

You must have missed my sunglasses wearing sun smiley face ^^^.  It was a joke.

I was kidding.  😁:cool:🤣😎

40 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Rented a 2019 Nissan Altima in September for a road trip from Minnesota to New York and back in September.  Averaged over 46mpg with the cruise on 65-70mph.

It had the standard 2.5 4 cylinder. 

I actually got 50 mpg on a trip in my 2012 Cruze ECO once and would routinely average 40-42 mpg going back and forth to work (20 miles one way).  I'd still have it if it wasn't for that dern doe.  I really liked that car.  Had it 8 years and only needed fuel and routine maint.  When I totaled it, it had 82k miles.  I had replaced the battery and tires once, that was the extent of expenses outside of oil changes and air filters.  It was a 1.4l gas turbo with a 6 speed standard transmission.  5th and 6th were both OD gears.