SOLD: McIntosh MC40 / Grason Stadler 162K

swegyptian

HI Dave-

I was waiting for  MC40 Pic's.  I thought you would attach them and email. I just was reading your thread and you wanted to phone txt?

That is fine. My Phone is 1-671-687-0884. Standard state to state rates apply (whatever those are, I txt my mom in Michigan all the time, never noticed any phone charges).

Best Regards,

Marvin Palmer

On 4/9/2020 at 6:39 AM, swegyptian said:

It sounds like you are familiar with these, and I'm guessing you might be right about the bass still being rolled off, I tend to turn it up on my preamp to compensate a bit, and that would explain why. I wonder if this is a simple thing to change...

My understanding G-S were for hearing testing medical devices. Because the G-S units were for hearing testing I would think they were very linear amplifiers (no roll off). A seller in Michigan just sold a single G-S for $800.00, he posted the G-S schematics, there were quite a few changes to the standard MC40. One addition was a "VU metering" circuit for the hearing devices.

I spoke to the gentlemen, i almost purchased it. But finding another matching G-S unit would be difficult.

Mine were NOT G-S units. They were special order matched pair for someone. In mine the only electrical difference  from standard MC40 was the 6db low end roll off.   Mine had gray painted transformers, no tube cover screen, and no  "McIntosh 40" on sides. All other labeling was standard MC40 (No G-S label ).

regards, Marvin

ACgNPV6HRz66XbEux6be4A.jpg

4 hours ago, Marvin Palmer said:

My understanding G-S were for hearing testing medical devices. Because the G-S units were for hearing testing I would think they were very linear amplifiers (no roll off). A seller in Michigan just sold a single G-S for $800.00, he posted the G-S schematics, there were quite a few changes to the standard MC40. One addition was a "VU metering" circuit for the hearing devices.

I spoke to the gentlemen, i almost purchased it. But finding another matching G-S unit would be difficult.

Mine were NOT G-S units. They were special order matched pair for someone. In mine the only electrical difference  from standard MC40 was the 6db low end roll off.   Mine had gray painted transformers, no tube cover screen, and no  "McIntosh 40" on sides. All other labeling was standard MC40 (No G-S label ).

regards, Marvin

ACgNPV6HRz66XbEux6be4A.jpg

You can see that the front of these are not G-S. it does not have the second control for the VU meter. These are serial # 534 & 535. Probably most rare and pristine MC-30's in existence. Like i stated. I thought they were restored. It was buyer in Switzerland who told me that they were original. Then as i inspected wiring i found they were in fact factory and brand new never used.

regards, Marvin

1476236707_OHKY57FYSK1RqNbzX8t9A.thumb.jpg.6a78913a534b723eafbbf07b7090185b.jpg