Need speaker wire recommendation/advice

Deckard75

I just received my R-41M speakers and will be getting my Denon AV Receiver tomorrow. However, it is time to pick out some speaker wire that will help make the system sound great. I am a complete newbie to audio equipment and have no idea what kind of speaker wire to get. There seems to be a lot of options, mostly what gauge to use and the use of banana plugs or not.

I have been leaning towards these Mediabridge 12AWG with gold plated banana plugs

What do you think?

My speakers will be about 5 feet apart from each other (that is all the room I have for them).

Do you recommend something else?

Or are these good enough?

22 minutes ago, Deckard75 said:

I have been leaning towards these Mediabridge 12AWG with gold plated banana plugs

Perfect.  They are rated 4.8 stars on Amazon for good reason.  I use the Mediabridge banana plugs with 12 AWG OFC speaker wire from Monoprice.

The only thing I question is the length of the wire, 12 feet in your case.  That seems a little short to me when you could double the length for another five bucks.  You may not always have those speakers in that room.

Are they overkill?  Oh yes, that's the point.  :cool:

3 minutes ago, Deckard75 said:

Because it makes a better solid connection. That is what I have read.

The least amount of different components in a signal chain the better.  For signal transfer purposes, bare wire is always best.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I still have some 12g zip cord, at least 35 yrs old and works fine. Before Christmas I bought some knukoncept kord speaker wire. Very flexible ofc and works quite well. It's the one with the blue jacket. Their cheapest has copper clad aluminum, but this is nice and not expensive at all.

• Like 1

I can't believe a "speaker wire" thread has lasted this long without my contribution!  14 AWG has always been more than sufficient for me in short-to-medium runs.  Any stranded copper zip-cord configuration more that meets the requirements.  Spend as much as you're happy doing, but rest assured that overkill is for ego, not result.

• Like 1