Where are the stock markets headed over the next 6 months?

Jeff Matthews

Where are the stock markets headed over the next 6 months?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's your prediction as to growth/loss in the DJIA from today (27,081) through 8/24/2020? (names and votes are public)

• It will rise 10+%
    • It will rise between 5 and 10%
    • It will rise between 3 and 5%
    • It will rise between 0 and 3%
    • It will fall between 0 and 3%
    • It will fall between 3 and 5%
    • It will fall between 5 and 10%
    • It will fall between 10 and 15%
    • It will fall between 15 and 25%
    • It will fall between 25 and 35%
    • It will fall 35+%

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/27/20 at 03:08 AM

I looked at buying a bulk diesel tank so I could buy maybe 250 gallons.  I've not looked at all of them but I've seen them over $1,000.  Add to that the purchase of the diesel and I shrug my shoulders thinking I might be just as well off keeping the $1,000 in my pocket and buy the fuel as needed....  the $1,000 will go a long way to cover the incremental cost savings of the fuel being down.  (though my tractor is rather thirsty, my backhoe is surprisingly frugal for such a large machine)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Had to bring it back up:

Only 2 weeks to go to see whose best guess was correct..........DJIA is currently up 3% since the poll was posted back on 2/25/2020.

NO breadth to any of the indices is a concern going forward.

ymmv

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arrow#422 said:

Had to bring it back up:

Only 2 weeks to go to see whose best guess was correct..........DJIA is currently up 3% since the poll was posted back on 2/25/2020.

NO breadth to any of the indices is a concern going forward.

ymmv

Interesting to see that the option receiving the most votes is on target.  "Collective wisdom?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 12:42 PM, Emile said:

Good idea, but ... most of these experts are "still working at their jobs," meaning they did not retire on their market earnings :D  And of course they (nor anyone else) can predict highs/lows. :( 

I’m glad I. listened to him and not you! I’m the one smiling now😎

Deleted this and will leave it at if you are going to try to 'predict the future' with regard to your investments, you need to look down the road a bit and assess what you think may or may not happen....and make your bets.  You can't effectively wait to say "I'm going to wait to see IF it rains tomorrow to do......"  because by the time it does or doesn't rain, it's too late.

(speaking in generalities as there will always be exceptions to the logic)

Edited by Coytee
Didn't intend for it to be controversial.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, Coytee said:

Not to be/sound/get political....but

1.  I don't think 

2.  I don't think

None of the above is intended to be/sound political......  but in the investing world, you have to look at your surroundings and things that may/will affect your portfolio.  In my opinion, one of the two situations stated above will likely happen and if one does, being prepared for it prior could be of benefit.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Really?

• Thanks 1

MIT Predicted in 1972 That Society Will Collapse This Century. New Research Shows We’re on Schedule.

Ok so maybe this isn't the stock market in the next 6 months, but this new research solidifies and vindicates my own independent thoughts and opinions that have remained with me since I was in the sixth grade. Something that some of you may want to talk to your adult children about. Or simply revert back to the standard issue choices that allow us to live at peace, for at least a little while ...

1) Don't know

2) Don't care

https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3xw3x/new-research-vindicates-1972-mit-prediction-that-society-will-collapse-soon

The recent study was written by written by Gaya Herrington, a senior director at professional services giant KPMG, one of the 'Big Four' accounting firms as measured by global revenue.

published in the Yale Journal of Industrial Ecology in November 2020

https://advisory.kpmg.us/articles/2021/limits-to-growth.html

Which shall it be???

bau2.webp ct.webp

None of the above is intended to be/sound political......  but in the investing world, you have to look at your surroundings and things that may/will affect your portfolio.  In my opinion, one of the two situations stated above will likely happen and if one does, being prepared for it prior could be of benefit.

Of course it's  political. 

• Like 1

Tis why I said it wasn't intended to be.  When one is investing, one might want to look at prevailing trends in interest rates, economics, (yes, politics), other items.... so it was intended to be as "political" as a comment about changing interest rates might be "political".  Its just another ingredient that one should weigh.  

One has their thoughts (whatever they may be) and places their bets (whatever they may be) and will find out afterwards if they played their cards right.  Waiting to play your cards after the game is over won't get you any returns.  You have to make your move(s) prior to the event to the degree you can.

58 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Of course it's  political. 

Interesting theories for sure. Political? You don’t think the collapse of civilization wouldn’t be political? Look how well the 

“non-politicization” of a relatively “mild” virus has done. Now inject a true, population kill down virus, lack of food, water, fuel etc. and yeah you might see a form of political persuasion. 

56 minutes ago, richieb said:

Political? You don’t think the collapse of civilization wouldn’t be political?

Of course. Coytee didn't mention that.

Look how well the 

“non-politicization” of a relatively “mild” virus has done.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here or the gist, but Covid-19 definitely isn't a "mild" virus. 

Btw, I relish a productive political debate but have been warned not to do so on this forum any longer. FYI.

• Like 1

Not to be/sound/get political....but

1.  I don't think 

2.  I don't think Biden

If #2 above, then the question is

I gather @richieb thinks this scenario could be "the end of civilization."  I think (deleted, political)

(Mod edit: It doesn't matter what you think in this context, because it's .political. See @Coytee, this is why it doesn't matter what you"intended", if it is political, it is political and despite your best intentions it is always going to draw an  opposite viewpoint. Then guess what?, we have a political discussion going on because you have an urge to express your political predictions ( "not intended to be  political") in the context of investments/stock market. Everyone just puts at the end of their response to your post that they don't intend for it to be political add at the end of their response why you are wrong, that they don't intend for their response to be political.

That is why the rule on no politics doesn't say "don't post anything you  intend to be political", it simply says don't post anything political. )

• dtel locked and unlocked this topic