Integrated/receiver for Forte iii?

Grip

Hey friends. While I await my Forte iii to arrive, I’m pondering and amp upgrade. Currently have a Yamaha RN303. Also Denon turntable with Grado cartridge, and stream mostly Apple Music directly to the Yammy.

I’ve been a bass player on and off for a while so generally listen to bass heavy music, and really listen in to the bass lines, kick drums, peddle tones... all that low end goodness.

Of course I’ll give the RN303 a shot with just the Forte’s, but I’m expecting I will prob want to move my subwoofer down from my surround sound setup (from another room). It’s a BK Electronics Gemini II, so it has its own high filter, etc.

So reason for upgrade would include a dedicated subwoofer out and some sort of bass management. Also would like to gain Airplay 2.

So how about Yamaha RN803 or Marantz PM7000n? Anything else in that under $1k price range that would have built in AirPlay 2, sub out, etc etc?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum and those

Forte's bass and your existing Yamaha without subwoofer at least at first would be my plan.

Can always introduce later the sub once you have a chance to listen for abit to the 2 channel setup. You may find your current amp adequate as a keeper meanwhile.

And then, would want to low cross sub at around 40 hertz to get the most of the lows from the new Forte'III's.

Yamaha fan myself so would study what you would be getting with an update there. Once others give their input, you will have a great time deciding about the integrated question. Played bass myself and like decent bass.

Know you are somewhat excited about the prospects, and will be interested in seeing your results.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks! That’s kindof my plan anyway. Just thinking out loud here looking for any hands on experience with either.

I don’t think the RN803 has airplay 2 but might get a firmware update...

One last wrinkle... what about a vintage Sansui instead? My father had a 8080 and we grew up blasting Frank Zappa, Zeppelin, Tull, etc. I know I can get a good, professionally serviced one for around the same price, then just add an Apple Airport Express. I guess I’d be losing the dedicated sub out too, but still could make it work.

• Like 1

Lastly... dare I say it... What about the Sonos Amp?! 125 watts per channel, one input for the turntable, sub out, and great connectivity with Airplay 2 and their own Sonos system. What’s cool about that is it will even cast the vinyl source to other Sonos speakers. No idea about sound quality tho... Any experience out there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After some more research, Here is my revised list of considerations to drive the new Forte iiis and include Airplay 2:

Denon DRA 800h
Marantz PM 7000n
Marantz NR1200
Sonos Amp

Denon is cheapest and has all the features, 100w/ch 8ohms, but it’s rather ugly. Both Marantz are the nice slim design, generally stellar reputation but lower wattage, more expensive and slightly less features than Denon. The Pm7000n is pulled from the higher end audio line, vs the NR1200 being build from the AVR architecture. I don’t need all the HDMI inputs for what it’s worth. I understand both Marantz and Denon are made by same company now. Sonos Amp is a bit of a dark horse... middle cost, 125w, slick integration and stark simplicity.

One feature I’ve never used is “loudness”. Supposedly makes lower volume listening more fun. That would be nice. Have young kids who are always barely asleep. Does it really work or make that much of a difference? Not sure if the Sonos does that, but Denon & Marantz both have their own flavor.

After some more research, Here is my revised list of considerations to drive the new Forte iiis and include Airplay 2:

Denon DRA 800h
Marantz PM 7000n
Marantz NR1200
Sonos Amp

Denon is cheapest and has all the features, 100w/ch 8ohms, but it’s rather ugly. Both Marantz are the nice slim design, generally stellar reputation but lower wattage, more expensive and slightly less features than Denon. The Pm7000n is pulled from the higher end audio line, vs the NR1200 being build from the AVR architecture. I don’t need all the HDMI inputs for what it’s worth. I understand both Marantz and Denon are made by same company now. Sonos Amp is a bit of a dark horse... middle cost, 125w, slick integration and stark simplicity.

One feature I’ve never used is “loudness”. Supposedly makes lower volume listening more fun. That would be nice. Have young kids who are always barely asleep. Does it really work or make that much of a difference? Not sure if the Sonos does that, but Denon & Marantz both have their own flavor.