Large vs. Small speaker enjoyment

richieb

For those with “large” Klipsch speakers  being either the Pro Cinema type i.e. Jubes, 904/510, Heritage i.e KHorns, LS, CW - are you as satisfied when listening to say a small bookshelf, for me RB75, or any other comparable model. It had been sometime but I brought in the ‘75’s, placed within a couple feet of the Jubes position and wired with 20 watt single ended tube monoblocks. I can listen to this setup for a long time, does a remarkable job with good top to bottom balance, really pleasing for a listen. Do I miss the all encompassing Jube presentation - yes and no. A small two way has a more “personal” presentation than the Big Boys. A refreshing change of pace - 

• Like 6

I have "jubs" and they are amazing there like a full bodied presentaion of sound, they image well in my small space and thats very hard to do for big horns, had 2 sets of cornwalls. model 19s in my space which were interesting, there are only 2 speakers i will own, "jubs and altec 604's........ you cant have everything, and all our ears are horns, our space defines some of this, altec 604s can resolve in my space many things ive never heard with any other speaker.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

For those with “large” Klipsch speakers  being either the Pro Cinema type i.e. Jubes, 904/510, Heritage i.e KHorns, LS, CW - are you as satisfied when listening to say a small bookshelf, for me RB75, or any other comparable model. It had been sometime but I brought in the ‘75’s, placed within a couple feet of the Jubes position and wired with 20 watt single ended tube monoblocks. I can listen to this setup for a long time, does a remarkable job with good top to bottom balance, really pleasing for a listen. Do I miss the all encompassing Jube presentation - yes and no. A small two way has a more “personal” presentation than the Big Boys. A refreshing change of pace - 

Lets see pictures or it didn't happen ….  :D

I still like listening to my Heresy IIs, and my JBL 4311s, and have smaller JBL Control 25 speakers on my computer desk.

The MWMS and associated horns and drivers are more enveloping and delightful, too. I think,to paraphrase,  Mallette has said this, that as long as his feet start tapping it's good.

Bruce

• Moderators
2 hours ago, richieb said:

are you as satisfied when listening to say a small bookshelf

I don't know, I have not tried it, I do have some RB 75's in a closet, might need to try it one day. 

I do really like listening to some Heresy's that are out in the bar in the yard, but it is outside. Which goes back to what Mike said about the room.

• Like 1

Yes but my situation is different, I have a small 11x12 listening room. I have had 904's, KHORNS and 942's in that room the big 402 is not bothered by the small room. However for that room I do prefer bookshelf sized boxes, I currently have JBL LSR32's in there and really enjoying them. When I want to blast the roof off the house I go outside to the 942/4's system. Each system serves a purpose in my small listening room I prefer the experience the smaller bookshelf provides. I often rotate between the JBL LSR32's, JBL Studio 530's, Heresy 1's, KP-110's and HIP's.

29 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Hey, chair rail moulding on the walls went out in the late '90's.  ;)   I've got some JBL L1's that sound quite outstanding that get some occasional listening upstairs.  Always surprising.

Hey, Thank you for your architectural design critique. I had a seam to disguise — 

8 minutes ago, richieb said:

Hey, Thank you for your architectural design critique. I had a seam to disguise — 

Ha.  Was just kidding/funning.  😁  I know how hiding those seams can be.  My moms house had wall paper in the kitchen that was there when my grandparents owned it.  When mom passed, away and we had to get house ready to sell, we had to do a chair moulding in dining area to hide parts where it was painted over and showed some.

I have a very small listening room, maybe 11 x 11 in which I have a pair of Martin Logan LX16 bookshelves, paired with a Parasound A23 and a DacMagic Plus for all digital input.  I like that setup.  I don't play LOUD, it's also my reading room.  But I find those speakers in close proximity, with good input and a nice amp, sound very nice indeed.  The bigger gear is downstairs, but I find I migrate to the listening/reading room because it has really good light in the morning. 

@dtel, please don't leave those RB75 in the closet!  If I had those, I wouldn't have ML LX16.

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, dtel said:

I do have some RB 75's in a closet, might need to try it one day. 

You've got some good money sitting in the closet!  Those RB-75's are the Holy Grail of Klipsch bookshelf speakers!

But you already know that.  :cool:

• Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@dtel, please don't leave those RB75 in the closet!  If I had those, I wouldn't have ML LX16.

There just on hold, it's the smallest speakers we have here and about the only portable ones.

We once took them on vacation with us with a HK930 and an old 5 disc cd player. It was 10 days in a cabin in the mountains over Christmas so I bought a few Christmas CD's and about 75 burned CD's. Thought I was ok, come to find out the old CD player would not play burned CD's, so it never got used much.

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

You've got some good money sitting in the closet!  Those RB-75's are the Holy Grail of Klipsch bookshelf speakers!

But you already know that.  :cool:

I heard that there popular, just keeping them in case there needed for something. Someone asked us to go to an auction on the coast from a dealer who was shutting down to bid on a pair of speakers for them.  They also had about 25 pair of RB 75's in the boxes in a pile, they all sold at reasonable prices so we never bid, not really needing any. After the auction was over and people left, my wife seen a pair off to the side and asked about them. They were new in the box, Black finish and brand new, the auctioneer said make an offer and my wife said $30, the guy said  SOLD. So we got them new in the box for $30, good price ! ...:emotion-19: If they all would have been that price we would have bought them all.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

If they all would have been that price we would have bought them all.

Great story!  And the only thing I like more than a good story is a great deal!

I don't track RB-75 prices but they are in the Legendary category of Klipsch bookshelves.  They have been called RF-7's in a bookshelf.  I wouldn't be surprised if they sold for $750.  Yours being NIB means they would likely bring whatever you wanted for them.

• Haha 1

Ok, @dtel, I'll offer you the same deal I listed once to @Chief bonehead, come to either Calgary or Victoria (when I'm there), I'll bbq some fine Alberta steaks and provide amazing Italian wine.  Just bring the RB's with you since you seem to be nursing them along.  After some wine and some Scotch we'll have to discuss those way overpriced $30 speakers you have so I can relieve you of the financial strain!  If you came to Victoria, I know there are other forum members out there ... hmmm *** (Vanisle Audio Group)?

• Haha 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I don't track RB-75 prices but they are in the Legendary category of Klipsch bookshelves. 

I do not either, but having some I did see a few pair go for those prices, usually a nice Cherry not the black so much.

But since I have never sold any Klipsch it never made any difference, I keep whatever I get. I did give away a set of Quintets once and a set of Synergy when we bought bigger speakers for HT.

25 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

Ok, @dtel, I'll offer you the same deal I listed once to @Chief bonehead, come to either Calgary or Victoria (when I'm there), I'll bbq some fine Alberta steaks and provide amazing Italian wine.  Just bring the RB's with you since you seem to be nursing them along.  After some wine and some Scotch we'll have to discuss those way overpriced $30 speakers you have so I can relieve you of the financial strain!  If you came to Victoria, I know there are other forum members out there ... hmmm *** (Vanisle Audio Group)?

That's funny, but I probably couldn't come up there, altitude sickness and all, we are about an hour from the Gulf. :lol:

:pwk_bs: excuse I know, but thanks for the offer.

I did try them out with a car radio and a battery when we were out of power after a hurricane for news and music. diy antenna in the window, but no luck, no stations on the air.

speakers ,. (2).jpg

• Like 1