KLF 20 opinions

mcp

My father, @TomR, and I did an A+B+C experiment with the klf 10, 20, 30 line. Each speaker got better in sound quality when you went up and the quality went down when you went back down the line. Klf20s are great because of the dedicated mid-range, but the 30s are better if you can find them and afford them.

• Like 2

Not sure why KLF gets a bad rap other than the problems with the cabinet.

I think that is one of the problems. Also, I'd be willing to bet that even though some think their cabs are fine....they are not. The reason I say that is because if someone comments that their sound is not balanced (sounds like a tall, skinny speaker) it's because it's leaking bass away.

Then there's the poor tweeter diaphragms, lack of bracing, many cases of the mid drivers hooked up out of phase whether from the factory or not I don't know.

Bottom line is that when these speakers are right....they deliver. Just like many other Klipsch models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, SWL said:

I think that is one of the problems. Also, I'd be willing to bet that even though some think their cabs are fine....they are not. The reason I say that is because if someone comments that their sound is not balanced (sounds like a tall, skinny speaker) it's because it's leaking bass away.

Then there's the poor tweeter diaphragms, lack of bracing, many cases of the mid drivers hooked up out of phase whether from the factory or not I don't know.

Bottom line is that when these speakers are right....they deliver. Just like many other Klipsch models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, the tweeter isn't the best diaphragm, very similar to the Heresy II.  Kind of spitty.  The rest of it, we don't know about other then the cabinet since they have been around close to 20 yrs.  Bought my first 30s in 1998 (I believe).  Add the Ti tweeter and caps with making sure the cabinet is good and be done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have KLF30 and I think they sound very good, especially with pop, rock and live music.

I think they need a powerful amp, no little SET tube amps, in my opinion (unless you listen only  to jazz and acoustic guitar).

I wonder if it would be better to upgrade some components: it would be advisable, in your opinion? Where do I start? Tweeters?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

I have KLF30 and I think they sound very good, especially with pop, rock and live music.

I think they need a powerful amp, no little SET tube amps, in my opinion (unless you listen only  to jazz and acoustic guitar).

I wonder if it would be better to upgrade some components: it would be advisable, in your opinion? Where do I start? Tweeters?

Thanks!

Tweeters and crossovers, I don't think the mids or the woofers need upgrading. 

2 hours ago, Little Wolf said:

Which one would give best improvements?

Should I buy both?

Thanks a lot

Get the high quality caps and Ti tweeter diaphragms and be done.  Make sure the box is well braced and it will help with some slight congestion in the sound.

Something that was an oddity was when we went to upgrade the k52h mid drivers to a55g's one of the OEM drivers was not screwed all the way on the horn. It was about 1 ½ turns from snug and that meant the gasket was loose. This might explain the slight difference in sound compared to the second klf-30.

37 minutes ago, Little Wolf said:

What do you mean with "caps"? Crossovers?

Capacitors in the crossovers.  There is no need to change anything else in the crossover.  A complete replacement of the crossover is not necessary unless you are looking to alter the design, which in turn alters what the sound the speaker was designed to provide.

• Thanks 1