Budget amp for Heresey III

keithmc1

Hey all,

I have a pair of H3s and have been using my old Techics SU-Z760 amp.  It worked well for a while but its on its way out. I can't find the exact specs on it but I think its 110w per channel? (by reading the meter on the front display). Regardless, it was pretty powerful.  I bought an Audio Lab 8300a (manufacture refurb) so the price was low. liked the specs and read good reviews but didn't like the amp. The phono amp was WAY under powered, I had the amp 3clicks from max and it was barley loud, but my iPad plugged into AUX1 was plenty loud at 75w/ch.  Also the amp sent "pops" through the speakers when switching sources.....lacked bottom end (no tone controls)  etc..... so Im sending if back..

Anyway went to my local HiFi dealer to hear some amps.  Narrowed down to 3. Trying to stay around $600-$800 For now and eventually save for something much more high end.  And likely buy a good Phono stage to supplement this current purchase.

Choosing between

Rotel A12  $799

Marantz PM6006  $550

Arcam SA20  $1199   .....higher then i wanted to go but was highly suggested...

I  A,B,Cd the 3 amps on some Klipsch tower speakers, not sure which ones exactly, they didn't have any Heritage Line in this room with these level amps...

Honestly going back and fourth in a room thats not mine on speakers I'm not used to its hard to tell a big difference from the 3. The Arcam seemed to have a slightly better sound stage and separation then the other two and maybe better mids... but no tone controls on the Arcam. So after listening to the Rotel and Marantz flat or tone bipassed then adjusted I think I might lean toward the Rotel or Marantz.  Whatever the Arcam had didn't seem $400+ better to justify. And I may be able to get the price down a little on the Rotel.  

Does any one have any opinions on any of these amps, one over another?  I listen to mostly rock. Classic, new,  some modern Jazz/experimental.  Definitely not a classical or mostly acoustic listener. 

I have not owned any of the amps you have mentioned but have driven my Heresy 1's and Heresy 2's with many different brands and models over the years.  IMO, the H1's, H2's and most likely H3's, H4's are not too amplifier picky and jive pretty well with most amps you can find.  At least in my experience in my rooms.  Of course some better than others.

With that said, add NAD and Cambridge Audio to your short list.  They both have integrated amp models in that price range.

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collections/integrated-amplifiers/products/nad-electronics-c-368-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier-factory-refurbished

https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/collections/integrated-amplifiers/products/nad-electronics-c-356dac-stereo-integrated-amplifier-with-add-on-dac-module-factory-refurbished

Bill

• Like 3

You're right on going from room to room and ... 

Unless you can AB something without passing of time and adding other variables, it's not going to work well. I have had the Marantz PM8006, but not the 6006 and I didn't AB it with the others on your list. As mentioned, NAD works well as does Yamaha. I am old school and like the sound of the vintage SS offerings from way back. 

Having, hearing and experiencing the different systems has been enjoyable. Whatever you pick, you might always wonder what x would sound like. It's like having an itch that scratching doesn't relieve. 😎

• Like 1

I have the Marantz PM5005, which is the 'light' version of the PM6006. I bought it 'open box' for less than €200. It does a fine job and is more than loud enough with my Heresy speakers (1972). I particularly like its phono stage. Of course, this is no 'high end' amplifier...

• Like 3

This one is way under the radar. Accessories4less has the Micromega Myamp for 249.95. Retail is 649.95. Integrated, class AB, ESS dac,  USB, and Bluetooth. Three analog inputs, pre outs, and mono sub out. Only 30 watts into 8 ohms, doubles to 60 into 4 ohms. Should be fine with HIII.

Bought one amp thinking Micromega is a solid company who prides themselves on quality products. I waste 250.00 all the time. 

Love it. Fancy 256 step analog volume control. Remote too. Never had an amplifier or active speaker with remote before.

I have not hooked to my Heresy III. Maybe 40 hours on La Scala II’s. Sound is excellent. And dead quiet. Ear to tweeter and there is no noise with gain maxed. 

Only used as a power amp, analog input from another dac with volume control. But saw someone post the internal dac is better than his Micromega MyDAC. Not tried the Bluetooth either. 

If it matters, designed and built in France. Mattered to me. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys!   Have been hearing about NAD and Cambridge, but I didn't notice any at my local dealer.  Rockhound - I am looking at integrated amps for now. Eventually Id like to step up to a solid amp/pre configuration.  I ended up going with the Rotel. I like it so far. The phono stage is much like my old Technics in that is comes out loud but with less noise (which was the problem with the Audiolab, way too quiet and noisy).  The 60w per on the Rotel drive the H3s well. I like the option of having tone controls and the bypass function. 

Its a silly thing but one thing I didn't like about the Marantz was the Volume knob. It had a springy feel like where id adjust the volume just a hair but it would sort of bounce back and change the volume again. And I know that would drive me Knuts!  Rotel has a nice digital number to number easy to adjust in super small increments for when I'm up late listening and the wife is asleep.... and Im always up late.