Crites Cornscala b mods

bfisher690

Hi All,

A very untechnical new member here. But, I love this stuff.

I have a Crites Cornscala b's and love them. After listening for two years, I changed over to Alk's ES 5800 crossovers and switched the mid driver to a DCM50. Absolutely incredible changes. I also added Isoacoustic feet which made a change just as big as the crossovers. If you haven't tried that, what they do to the bass is astounding.

Anyway, as we all hear, the mid horn is a week spot in this design. Is there anything out there that is elliptical that is a drop in without having to cut up Bob's motorboard? I'd love a wooden tractrix horn. Seems like no one makes one that replaces what Bob uses with the same dimensions.

Also, I see that people like the MAHL lenses for the tweeters. Is there a drop in lens of this type that will fit a cornscala b?

I'd hate to carve these up, and I'm committed to the boxes. Just want to max the midrange and treble. I live in Brooklyn. I wonder if anyone near the city works on/builds motorboards nearby, too? That could be another solution.

Thanks for any help you can give the newbie.

Brian 

Welcome to the forum Brian!  I don't know if you will find a direct drop in to change out the mid horn.  I personally haven't heard that specific horn, but I do have a set of inexpensive Goldwood 450 horns with faital pro HF200 drivers that seem to be close to that horn and I really like that combination.  I'm sure there are others that have the b as you do and hopefully will chime in as time goes on.

@Dave A can answer the question on the MAHL's, but looking at the motor board and the tweeter used in the b, I don't think it's going to work, which is a shame, as the LMAHL 2's that I have are fantastic.  Before I would start cutting and changing things I would consider checking out the market on the b's you have before changing all of those things and starting with another speaker or version of that design that might appeal to you more.  There are tons of versions out there.

I really appreciate all that. The thing is this: I love the sound of the speaker and would essentially try to find the same thing with elliptical wood horns. So that seems like a shame. I wonder if someone could make me a custom motorboard with the cutouts I need. Wouldn't that do it? Or does anyone make wood tractrix horns to custom dimensions? 

Does anyone work on speaker boxes in NYC? These are HUGE and I am not handy. So there's that, too ; )

It seems like Fastlanes elliptrac 400's are close in size. A custom motorboard would solve that issue...

Brian 

2 hours ago, bfisher690 said:

Or does anyone make wood tractrix horns to custom dimensions? 

Sure but how much money do you think something like that would run? Also to fit that exact opening you have to machine a flange in there and the cutout depth for that is probably 1/4" at best. That is too thin for wood.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 11:34 AM, bfisher690 said:

Does anyone work on speaker boxes in NYC? These are HUGE and I am not handy. So there's that, too ; )

There was (is?) a show on TV called Million Dollar Contractor where the proprietor has a shop in Brooklyn where they build cabinets that they install in their customer's homes in Manhattan. A Google search should turn up the name contractor's name.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, bfisher690 said:

AND, wouldn't this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-x-17-ABS-2-Bolt-On-Long-Throw-Horn-90-x-40-For-Many-2-Exit-Driver-/331676072699

Not a slotted design. Less distortion for a hifi application, no?  Seems like the same dimensions as the mid horn Crites uses...

That would be an excellentt horn, but not as pretty as the wood elliptical tractrix horns that Dave Harris makes. The zxpc horn may actually measure better.

You didn't say what horns you are presently using in your cabs.