Stacking Heresys on subs

wuzzzer

After DJing with my speakers last weekend I decided to try out my Heresys stacked on my SB-2000 subs instead of putting them on the 26" stands I had been using.  I have four rubber protectors under each Heresy so the finishes don't get scratched.  The Heresys are just a tiny bit wider than the subs.   I kind of like the look and with this setup the bass send to be more evenly spread throughout our room than before when the subs were a lot closer together. 

Anyone else do this?

15829135414471045077621.jpg

• Like 2

The only issue with this is that where the subs sound best may not be where the mains sound best and vise versa. 

Depending on living area and constraints, stacking the mains on top of the subs may be the only choice, but if you have the room and the means, then I would always suggest locating the best spots for the subs and the best locations for the mains. Sometimes to get the best quality bass response in a room may require locating each sub on different walls which you clearly wouldn't be able to locate the mains in those same areas. 

P.S. - Yes, I know I'm new here to the forum, but I'm surprised to not find a "New Members Introduction" or "Meet & Greet" area or similar here on the forum. If there was, I would have posted there first. 😉

I built 4 post stands for my Heresy which are perfect size for a pair of Velodyne DD 10 to sit in the bottom of the stands.  Yes this may not be optimum for both the Heresy and Velodyne but WAF was much higher, and when placed in a corner, nice bass, nice mids/highs (SuperHeresy, DaveA sMAHL), and higher WAF ... I can live with a little non-optimum setup.  Please excuse the messy wiring ... things were still in progress at this point, and still seem to be.  One more item ... I placed a 2 inch piece of styrofoam in the bottom and now covered with a high end rug remnant and the sub has SVS SoundPath isolation feet on it.  No vibrations to the floor.  The stand has a neoprene with felt "pillow" for the Heresy to sit on.  Combined this seemed to keep vibrations down and no scratches on speakers and stand.  As a first pass these work fine, aesthetically, I can do better on another set.

Stands 2.JPG

• Like 1

@Charles T   Welcome Charles T...

Yes, you are correct about the bass/subs may need to be in different places in the room compared to your mains. It's be told over and over here. But I would probably do the same thing. I don't have any subs, don't really need them in my system.

Bruce

This is how I have mine set up, kind of. I've been playing a bit more with sub and speaker placement this weekend and I now have the subs moved in a 1/4 distance of the wall width, and the Heresy III's out a little further towards the side walls as well as a little less toe-in. I think I might have found the sweet spot finally. 

p3829721607-5.jpg

On 2/28/2020 at 12:13 PM, wuzzzer said:

After DJing with my speakers last weekend I decided to try out my Heresys stacked on my SB-2000 subs instead of putting them on the 26" stands I had been using.  I have four rubber protectors under each Heresy so the finishes don't get scratched.  The Heresys are just a tiny bit wider than the subs.   I kind of like the look and with this setup the bass send to be more evenly spread throughout our room than before when the subs were a lot closer together. 

Anyone else do this?

Makes total sense if your room doesn't require the bass from the subs to be positioned elsewhere.  Did that a long time ago when I had Heresys.  Currently swap between RB5s and RP-160Ms on top of a pair of R12SWs with short 8" stands I made to get them to the proper height.  Works well in the right rooms.