One Year Retirement Anniversary!

kevinmi

Well Folks, it's been a full year since I retired from General Motors. I never thought I'd say this, but retirement is taking up all my time! I though for sure I'd burn through all those projects that I had been putting off, but truth is, I'm way behind. I did manage to gain about 30 pounds, though.

• Like 3

I'm 62 this year and retirement scares the cr*p out of me. After working all these years, I would like to give it a try, but I am not sure how to fill the day. At first it will be easy, but.....

Good to hear you're adjusting to it well (except for the 30 lbs part)!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I'm 62 this year and retirement scares the cr*p out of me. After working all these years, I would like to give it a try, but I am not sure how to fill the day. At first it will be easy, but.....

Good to hear you're adjusting to it well (except for the 30 lbs part)!

Part of the weight gain is due to me having a bad gall bladder last year that prompted me to retire when I did. I had surgery last February and had a difficult recovery, resulting in me laying around and getting fat. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

It was scary retiring for sure, and it took me the better part of this last year to get used to it. I'm getting used to the freedom a little more each day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

I'm getting used to the freedom a little more each day!

Fat?  Pffffft!  I gained 40 and have lost 25 since we met.  I didn't think you were heavy at all.  I finally realized IF you disconnect the drive-thrus and garbage in you're life you'll actually eat better and eat less.  That was my problem.  NEVER enough time to eat healthy.  One year outta there and you're surviving, which is great.  Down the road you'll be even busier doing stuff then all of a sudden you'll just become pathetically worthless like me!  Yay!  lolol  Enjoy it brother!   :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DizRotus said:

My recollection of meeting you last August does not include a perception that you were “fat.”

You were probably bedazzled by my good looks. Pretty much all my weight gain is in my belly, caused by all the Coronas on the patio last summer. Hope I don't have the virus!

• Haha 2

A don't know about this @thebes .... Since your closer to @Tarheel.... I Think you should knock on his door...

And call him out on this mishap......lol 

Set Weather
syracuse’s Logo
Subscriber Exclusive

Tar Heel Trouble: Syracuse basketball loses to North Carolina 92-79 (Brent Axe recap)

Updated 7:09 AM; Today 6:00 AM

Adam Weitsman guests for SU basketball: Tom Brady, Jimmy Fallon, Julian Edelman

Syracuse, N.Y. —Who knew the last men’s basketball game played under the iconic teflon bubble of the Carrier Dome would bring out the A-list stars?

The Orange carpet was laid out for Tom Brady and Julian Edelman of the New England Patriots and “Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon to attend the North Carolina-Syracuse game on Saturday afternoon.

“He’s coming back, he’s coming back.”

–Julian Edelman messing with Tom Brady 😂 pic.twitter.com/OYdPS3xzzr

— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) February 29, 2020

Dozens of former Orange players were also in attendance, many of which to honor the jersey retirement of John Wallace.

It’s a good thing there were so many distractions in the Dome on Saturday because the main event turned out to be a star-studded dud.

Syracuse lost to North Carolina 92-79 on Saturday because it did not follow the philosophy of Brady’s Patriots and “do their job,” especially in one area of the floor.

The Orange could not shoot 3′s and could not stop the Tar Heels from doing so.

The loss likely ended Syracuse’s 2020 NCAA Tournament hopes short of a miraculous run to the ACC Tournament title.

The Orange, now 16-13 (9-9), will forge ahead and try to finish strong with just Boston College and Miami left on the regular-season slate.

“We just need to regroup and get ready and go out and play well in our last two games,’’ Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said.

“Just keep going,’’ Syracuse junior forward Elijah Hughes said. “We gotta keep going. One breath at a time. One play at a time. One game at a time. That’s all we can really do at this point.’’

After the game, Tom Brady told Syracuse players to bounce back Tuesday at Boston College. The QB shared his rise from low draft pick to Super Bowl champ. Jimmy Fallon also spoke to the team, sharing a few jokes.

— Matthew Gutierrez (@MatthewGut21) February 29, 2020

The Dark Side

Three-Point Problem

Cole Anthony

North Carolina guard Cole Anthony (2) is defended by Syracuse forward Quincy Guerrier during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020. (AP Photo/Adrian Kraus) APAP

The main ingredient to Syracuse’s loss to North Carolina was a simple one.

The Orange did not hit enough three-point shots or defend the outside shot well against North Carolina on Saturday.

North Carolina, the worst 3-point shooting team in the ACC (28 percent), was 11 out of 26 (42 percent) on its 3-point attempts. The Tar Heels shot a blistering 64 percent from the 3-point line in the second-half.

UNC freshman sensation Cole Anthony, a projected lottery pick in the upcoming NBA draft, scored 25 points on 7-of-11 shooting from beyond the arc.

The Tar Heels moved the ball with precision for the entire game. Syracuse routinely failed to get a defender on the shooter and UNC cashed in the easy looks.

“We just didn’t get to their three-point shooters,” Boeheim said. “We did a very poor job in defending the three-point line, which we have done this year, unfortunately. And we haven’t shot it well. We had pretty good looks. I wouldn’t say too many, maybe one or two, that were rushed, we just haven’t made enough 3’s for the last ten to twelve games.”

UNC guard Christian Keeling was 2-of-4 from the 3-point line and drained jump shots all afternoon on the Orange as if it was the pre-game shoot around. He scored 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting. Keeling averages seven points per game.

“Christian Keeling had some ability to score early in the year, but the three-point shot wasn’t going in,” UNC head coach Roy Williams said. "He was turning it over and he wasn’t guarding very well. I said ‘Son, you’ve got to give me something to hang my hat on to put you in the game’ and in the last eight games, he’s been averaging double figures and has done a little better defensively. He had zero turnovers today so that’s a point for him. But making shots were huge and important to us too.”

Interior Issues

The Orange takes on the Tar Heels

Syracuse forward Marek Dolezaj (21) defends agains the shot of North Carolina forward Garrison Brooks (15) during a game on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Syracuse’s defensive issues were certainly not isolated beyond the arc. The Orange routinely got blitzed in the paint as well.

UNC forward Garrison Brooks became the latest big man to have a career-day against the Orange, scoring 26 points on 9-of-14 shooting. Brooks grabbed 14 rebounds and was 8-of-8 at the free throw line.

North Carolina has a reputation as an excellent rebounding team and Saturday was no different. The Tar Heels out-rebounded the Orange 39-29. UNC out-scored Syracuse 22-10 on second-chance points.

The Tar Heels also had 25 assists on 33 made field goals.

“That’s the way we love to play,” Williams said. "They played the zone and you have to keep moving it around and not be selfish by taking shots that you shouldn’t take. You can’t be concerned about the shot clock because if you just move it, we can get better spacing and then we’ve got a better chance to get a good shot.”

UNC shot 52.4 percent and 42.3 percent from the 3-point line against SU.

Three points

Syracuse forward Marek Dolezaj (21) gets fourth foul during a game against North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

1. Elijah Hughes scored 19 points against the Tar Heels, but that number is a bit deceiving. Hughes piled up a lot of points in the second-half when UNC had built a big lead. Tar Heels guard Leaky Black did an excellent job guarding Hughes for most of the game, denying good looks at the hoop by face-guarding and staying close to Hughes, who finished the game shooting 5-of-16.

2. Marek Dolezaj picked up three fouls in the first half and a fourth early in the second half to limit his production to six points, three rebounds and three assists before fouling out after 19 minutes of action. Dolezaj has fouled out in four of Syracuse’s last nine games. He has at least four fouls in six of the last nine games.

3. Joe Girard III did not provide relief from the outside, shooting just 3-of-12 against UNC, while Quincy Guerrier didn’t get production on the board when it mattered, finishing with six points and three rebounds in 25 minutes. Guerrier has scored 13 points in SU’s three games after combining for 56 points in the four games prior.

The Sunny Side

The Orange takes on the Tar Heels in a game on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Buddy Ball

Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim (35) during a game against North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Buddy Boeheim showed no ill-effects of an ankle injury suffered against Pittsburgh on Wednesday night as the Orange sophomore put up 22 points on the Tar Heels on 9-of-17 shooting. Boeheim was 2-of-7 from 3-point range.

UNC tried to match 6-foot-3 Christian Keeling on Boeheim and it did not work. Boeheim routinely backed Keeling into the paint and earned good looks at the hoop.

Saturday’s game was a needed boost for Boeheim as he had combined to shoot 11-of-33 for 28 points in the four games prior to the loss to UNC.

No matter what SU’s postseason fate is, the Orange need Boeheim in a shooting groove to succeed.

“I felt a lot better the last two days," Boeheim said. "I give a lot of credit to (SU trainer) Brad Pike. I’ve spent about ten hours with him the past two days, before and after class, doing treatment and making sure I was good to go. I’ve made a lot of progress the past two days and at practice yesterday, which was huge. At practice yesterday, I knew I felt a lot better. I just had a feeling I’d be good to go. The swelling went down a lot. I give credit to Brad. I was feeling good about playing going into today.”

Sidibe Streakin'

Syracuse center Bourama Sidibe (34) grabs rebound during a game against North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.rrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Bourama Sidibe continued his recent hot streak with a 17-point, 15-rebound effort against the Tar Heels.

It was his second straight double-double this season. In fact, Sidibe had accomplished that by halftime as he had 10 points and 10 rebounds at the break.

“Bourama was tremendous tonight,” Boeheim said. “He’s really found himself the last couple games, but we struggled in other positions.”

Sidibe is moving better, playing with confidence and attacking the rim. He seems to have put aside over-thinking the game and just playing the game.

“I wasn’t worried about fouling people," Sidibe said about his improved play. "Today, I said, ‘I’m going to go play. If I foul, I foul.” I wanted to be more aggressive around the rim and I was.”

“The more Elijah (Hughes), Buddy (Boeheim) or Joe (Girard III) drive, the more chances I’m going to have," Sidibe said. "If they miss, it’s easy for me to rebound and put it back. When they drive, I’m in the best position to finish.”

This, That and the Other Thing

New England Patriots QB Tom Brady, Patriots WR Julian Edelman and comedian Jimmy Fallon at the Syracuse game against North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

• North Carolina has won nine straight against Syracuse. The Tar Heels lead the all-time series 13-4 and are 9-1 against the Orange since Syracuse joined the ACC in the 2013-14 season.
  • Syracuse’s final home game of the season attracted a crowd of 29,312. Syracuse averaged 21,703 per game, meaning it has wrapped up the NCAA’s attendance crown for the 2019-20 season.
  • Hughes went over 1,000 points scored as a Syracuse player and become part of an exclusive club. Only three other players have scored 1,000 points for Syracuse after transferring from another school: Ryan Blackwell (1,175 after transferring from Illinois), Michael Gbinije (1,144 after transferring from Duke) and Leo Rautins (1,031 after transferring from Minnesota).
  • Saturday was assistant coach Adrian Autry’s “12th” birthday. Autry is a leap-year baby born on February 29, so he only gets to celebrate his true birthday every four years. Autry’s real age is 48.

The Legend of 44

Syracuse great holds his jersey up after the University retired his number during a game against North Carolina on Saturday, Feb. 29, 2020, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y.

Former Syracuse great John Wallace saw his No. 44 jersey honored during a halftime ceremony.

Wallace led the Orange to the 1996 title game vs. Kentucky at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. His 3-point shot in a Sweet 16 game against Georgia is one of the greatest postseason moments in Syracuse history.

The “'Cuse is in the House” became a rallying cry that season, never more famous than when former CBS commentator Al McGuire danced with the Orange during a postgame interview after a win over Kansas in the Elite Eight clinched a Final Four spot.

Wallace is the 15th player to have his jersey retired and the second No. 44. SU retired Derrick Coleman’s No. 44 on March 6, 2006. (The Orange jerseys are retired, but subsequent players can still wear the “retired” numbers.)

The SU players whose jerseys have been retired:

Rony Seikaly (4)

Vic Hanson (8)

Carmelo Anthony (15)

Billy Gabor (17)

Wilmeth Sidat-Singh (19)

Sherman Douglas (20)

Lawrence Moten (21)

Dave Bing (22)

Dennis DuVal (22)

Billy Owens (30)

Dwayne Washington (31)

Derrick Coleman (44)

John Wallace (44)

Roosevelt Bouie (50)

Louis Orr (55)

Tweet of the Game

Heard one of these guys might be looking for a home next fall... #Recruiting #GoOrange🍊 pic.twitter.com/sc5YSWYR4i

— Dino Babers (@CoachBabersCuse) March 1, 2020

Contact Brent Axe: Email | Twitter

Thanks for visiting Syracuse.com. Quality local journalism has never been more important, and your subscription matters. Not a subscriber yet? Please consider supporting our work.

Not a subscriber yet? Please consider subscribing to our Orange Insider package.

MORE ORANGE BASKETBALL:

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Around the web

Advance Local logo

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your California Privacy Rights (each updated 1/1/20).

© 2020 Advance Local Media LLC. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.

ad-choices-arrow.png?d=193Ad Choices

Close button for the advertisement.

• Haha 1

On 2/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, kevinmi said:

Part of the weight gain is due to me having a bad gall bladder last year that prompted me to retire when I did. I had surgery last February and had a difficult recovery

I retired from my last major career in 2014 at age 58.  It was fortuitous that occurred when it did because my wife had medical issues requiring my support so it's allowed me time to care for her.  Before retirement, I had planned to volunteer locally and teach classes as an adjunct instructor, and wait for grandkids.

Instead I now volunteer...but not in areas that most people consider volunteer work.  I find that my interest (and skills) lie more in audio.  So I took up some audio subjects a bit more seriously: MEH (multiple entry horn) work, Audacity demastering of music tracks, dialing-in DSP crossovers for much better performance, etc.  This is the kind of stuff I wanted to do since I was young--as a career.  The skills I've acquired of late keep me more than busy and combined with our three "children" (in my avatar), they conspire to take the rest of my time.  First grandchild is here (last summer). Weeks now go by very quickly.  Time again is in short supply. 

Perhaps this will turn into more than just volunteering in the future or perhaps I'll turn to more volunteering locally, but presently I'm happy and health has been good.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Mike but I haven't kept up with the Heels for a couple of years now.  My late wife was the real true blue Tar Heel fan.  Funny that her brother was a NC State grad and lots of rivalry ensued.  She wouldn't even answer the phone after a Carolina loss knowing it was Jack rubbing it in.

This years squad is hardly a shadow of previous Carolina teams from my limited viewing.

Back to retirement.........I left the work force at 63 around 7 years ago.  I have volunteered with a dog rescue group called RescueConnect and also with a branch of our library resurfacing CDs and DVDs.  I would be pretty bored without lady friend to hang out with.  Currently renovating a music room at LF's place.  One Zero Gravity chair delayed with the China/Corona shipping situation.  Some new gear should arrive this week.  Projects are mandatory to maintain some sanity..........

• Like 1

I just celebrated my 11th anniversary after retiring from NASA at the beginning of 2009.  I've mixed feelings about the whole thing.  On one hand was/is great to be around while some of the kids are still living at home.   OTOH wish I would have given as much thought to WHAT EXACTLY I'd be doing with my retirement as I did to whether I could afford to retire.   I'm the type to just waste time in the absence of any clearly defined activity.  Oh well, it is what it is at this point.   My latest 'activity during retirement is caring for my mid 90s parents who moved in with us a couple months ago.   Not fun, but necessary.

• Like 3

I just had my 2 year retirement anniversary. I’ve read nearly 1 book per week, audio fun and house fix ups as we target to both be retired by next Jan, sell one house and move to our retirement home in Victoria. I’ll start renovating that house this summer I hope!  Youngest daughter got married nearly 2 years ago and bought their first house so I’ve also been busy helping with their move and renovations.  I can’t wait to be out in Victoria full time! Eldest daughter is engaged so another wedding on the horizon. She has taken up 1/2 iron man contests so I’m going to help her with that. I’d really like to take a graduate degree in history but not sure how to fit it in time wise. Golf, fishing and hiking coming up soon! Oh and I’m going to start making my own wine!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

You were probably bedazzled by my good looks. Pretty much all my weight gain is in my belly, caused by all the Coronas on the patio last summer. Hope I don't have the virus!

My wife recalls meeting you and Mopar Dave, IIRC, due to your arrival before her escape from the Klipsch nerd onslaught.   She also recalls a fit person in a Pink Floyd shirt.  She may have been bedazzled by your good looks.  Her attraction to me confirms she has a very low bar.

• Like 2

I've made beer before, but wine will be new.  In Victoria there's access to some good grape juice stock and we aren't far from the Okanogan to get even better.  Also, might be making a longer trip to Napa, by way of Oregon for Pinot Noir. Road trip!  Have to come back into Canada in Alberta though where the provincial tariff on wine is less than in B.C.  Which means, oh a stop off in Calgary to visit youngest daughter and husband.  I'm pretty sure the wife has the route already marked out.

• Like 1