Where is the bass?

usnret70-90

18 minutes ago, usnret70-90 said:

Hi jason str! I did what you said, after finding a neighbor to help my wife lift one HSU and put it on top the other in the only corner in our family room. For the GoldenEar subs, I placed one along the side wall half way between the front wall and the rear of the room, put my workshop stool over it and placed the second one on the seat, I did that because the GoldenEars have both top and bottom bass radiators. If you think it's okay, I will place one on top the other. Any how, this stacking of subs increased the output dramatically in the room. However, when moving the two GE subs around the room, the bass was at it's best when I had them sitting right in front of our two seat reclining sofa. Actually, it was very acceptable to me. But the other half said something like "You aren't seriously considering leaving them right there ..................are you?" So I put them back against the wall like a good boy. I set all the speakers as small and  the low pass filter at 80hz, and the phase control to the '0' setting. I angled the two HSU's towards the center of the room. I put in the Godzilla, Avengers and Spiderman 4K Blurays and after adjusting the volume on the subs and changing the LPF setting to around 65hz the bass was much, much better. I did find that I needed to move a couple of knicknacks because they were vibrating so badly. So, I would like to thank all of you who replied to my original post. Your replies have made me do some searching of the internet to better understand how to properly set up the pre/pro and subs. By chance, while reading the HSU owners manual the original 'HSU Bass Test CD" was inserted between pages and fell out. So, I played it and I have to say "The Saint-Saens Organ Symphony is an amazing low frequency test of your subs. Very cool.

As long as there is feet under the sub and the passive is free to do what it does there will be no problem with them.

Edit.

I see now what you are talking about the passives after looking, you will likely need side placement as the feet look like they will hit the top passive.

As long as they are within 3 feet of each other doubling cabinets will net you another 6dB.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

As long as there is feet under the sub and the passive is free to do what it does there will be no problem with them.

Edit.

I see now what you are talking about the passives after looking, you will likely need side placement as the feet look like they will hit the top passive.

As long as they are within 3 feet of each other doubling cabinets will net you another 6dB.

6db!!?? That is a huge increase. It looks like I will be having fun over the next day or so working on this room. The one corner which is in this room doesn't even have a full wall anywhere. Two sides are completely open, the front wall is only 8' wide and the left wall is maybe  9-10' long but has a 3'x 4' set set of four folding louvered doors about centered half way up the wall. It has been very problematic trying to set up this system. Our previous home in PA had huge basement and made running cables and wires easy. Now, I'm sitting on a slab because of the water table being so close to the surface. Just waiting to get swallowed up so night. 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Doubling the cabinets, amps, drivers, ports etc will double your output if they're co-located vs a single sub.

Thanks for the info. I will get back to you on something that you said to me previously, but, right now Lowes is calling me about a sale on 20V tools!