Question for all you deep thinkers...

Mighty Favog

I have a McIntosh DVD player (MVP871). When I walk across the carpeted floor to turn on a table lamp, the DVD player's remote control's back light turns on when the static electricity jumps between my hand and the lamp switch. This also happens if the remote is in my hand and I turn on a wall switch near by.

Now, is the static jump causing a signal to be transmitted through the electric lines to the DVD player or is there an electric of field causing the back light to come on?

Hmmmmmmm.......

9 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I have a McIntosh DVD player (MVP871). When I walk across the carpeted floor to turn on a table lamp, the DVD player's remote control's back light turns on when the static electricity jumps between my hand and the lamp switch. This also happens if the remote is in my hand and I turn on a wall switch near by.

Now, is the static jump causing a signal to be transmitted through the electric lines to the DVD player or is there an electric of field causing the back light to come on?

Hmmmmmmm.......

I know that sounds totally crazy, but the electric charge can also be caused by synthetic clothing. Polyester or acrylic parts are very susceptible. If the carpet has a high proportion of these substances, it can also be related to it. But please don't laugh at me now. If I ever had a blanket around my body that was mainly made of these materials, I was always wiped when I touched the SACDP / DAC or the amp and it flashed on the device.